Thanks

Copyright Fair Use

Hey citizens of the realm, just thought I'd pick your brains about this one. I've done as much research as I can with regards to fair use. But still unable to find a definitive answer. So here's the skinny.

I'm working on a small video project for a college class using found footage most of the video I've found is from movies that are all in the public domain. BUT I want to use audio from a scene in the movie American Beauty. Its about 2 minutes and 30 seconds worth of audio. And I will be chopping the video footage to match the audio. Would it be deemed fair use? It is a fairly well known scene from the movie but I am adding my own little twist to it, and it is an educational endeavour.

Thoughts, opinions, advice?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Is it going to be used for like a presentation, is it going to be published and are you going to make money off it?

Because honestly if it's just a class assignment. Seriously, who cares. I've had music in so many class assignments over the years. Hell one song I took a karaoke version and wrote lyrics to it. These were just projects though, not being exhibited or anything of the sort beyond the class presentation. If it's just a presentation for the class it's not like cops will come busting in the room and give you a fine.

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

http://www.royaltyfreemusic.com/publ...-fair-use.html

Literally the only issue with fair use in educational use is if someone can download and copy it. So if you have something publicly available and I can rip an entire song from it that's a no no.

Thanks
    Definitely run it by your professor first, if you aren't sure about his or her personal policy. Even if its covered by fair use, your professor might feel otherwise, especially depending on the specific class its for, and ultimately he is determining your grade. I took an art/vis comm crossover class taught by a vis comm professor. He was a stickler for that sort of thing- didn't want us doing stuff in the classroom that couldn't be done in the real world. He was an exception, for sure, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Generally, educational context does qualify as "fair use". But check it with your teacher first.

Thanks
    We had a video editing class where we weren't expected to shoot our own footage, but we were told to acquire existing footage and re-edit it to make it an entirely different context. Fair use and copyright law only applies if you are making money off the material, but claiming it to be your own IP or TM is still off limits. Since student work is neither of these, it's free for all anyway.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Aye She's made it rather unclear. Because she said we should make sure what we use falls under fair use. The whole idea was to use found footage and audio. it is a "Visual Storytelling" class. I don't really know what she meant when she said it. And I don't intend on using it to make money so. I guess I'm in the clear, "the wonders of vague instructions."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    Is it going to be used for like a presentation, is it going to be published and are you going to make money off it?

Because honestly if it's just a class assignment. Seriously, who cares. I've had music in so many class assignments over the years. Hell one song I took a karaoke version and wrote lyrics to it. These were just projects though, not being exhibited or anything of the sort beyond the class presentation. If it's just a presentation for the class it's not like cops will come busting in the room and give you a fine.

Literally the only issue with fair use in educational use is if someone can download and copy it. So if you have something publicly available and I can rip an entire song from it that's a no no.

I agree with all the points above. But what is fair use in educational use may be hard to implement because someone may upload it to utube or otherwise make it available publicly. May be a "terms of use" should be added somewhere in the video.

J

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by person J View Post
    I agree with all the points above. But what is fair use in educational use may be hard to implement because someone may upload it to utube or otherwise make it available publicly. May be a "terms of use" should be added somewhere in the video.

J
    Yeah as far as this project goes, its not being uploaded anywhere other than the server our class shares