Thanks

I'm Campaigning! - Positive Art for Kids!

Hi guys,

I've started pursuing my passion for kids media, and I started a campaign on Kickstarter.com
    If you don't know about Kickstarter, it's a fantastic community for creatives, to help fund their projects via Amazon, check it out!

I have started a project where I have done a series of character based illustrations that incorporates positive themes for kids - I am trying to raise enough funds on Kickstarter to get the artwork printed so it can finally be made available.
    If anyone is interested please donate to the project, every bit is appreciated and donations start as low as $1 - I always give rewards to those who donate, so if you do have kids or know of anyone who you think would like this kind of artwork, you can easily gift them

If you can't donate please help me spread the word about this project to family and friends who may be interested!

Here is a link to the campaign
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-kids?ref=live

And here are some samples of the postcards and what the wall art would look like once printed

And if you've any comments or suggestions drop me an email ramtam at gmail dot com or leave them in this thread!
    Last edited by ramtam; March 12th, 2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Edited to be less confusing I hope!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    So its artwork for kids? I'm assuming girls, because by the age I was old enough to appreciate art, I wouldn't have liked this stuff.
    Do the kids do the art or is this a product? Because if its something you are selling, this isn't the correct place on this forum (I don't even know if there is a correct place).
    I have some cousins around the right age to like this, I'll show them the page, but to be honest I'm not sure what you want Good luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi Barefoot,

Thanks for your feedback

Hmm ok the post maybe confusing - Kickstarter.com is a platform for creatives to raise money for a particular project they're working on, so no there's nothing I'm selling because I have not raised any funds to make the actual artwork available.

I've created a series of artwork that I want to make into prints (I illustrated all of them) All the illustrations are based on a series of adorable little characters who I've called the cheerleaders of positive affirmation, they are central to themes of inspiration and positivity meant to help raise kids' self esteem and confidence.
    The video is really important it explains a lot of what I'm trying to do much better than I could ever explain here I think

I want to make these prints available to kids, parents and basically anyone who has a child in their life. To start I've only created artwork for girls, but I do plan on creating and printing a line for boys, but that would cost more and I really don't want to make it so much about money at this point, I just want to raise the lowest possible amount I would need to make the first series of prints available.

I have all the illustrations ready to go, and I've done some test prints of what the postcards would look like at my local Fedex Office and whatnot, but I can only make a couple of them - what I'm trying to do is get people to donate to the campaign to raise enough funds to get all the artwork printed as well as the postcards, it's expensive x.x

Everyone can contribute as low as $1 and they can choose to receive prizes , if you can't donate of course I would appreciate you just getting the word out at least so people can back it who would be interested!

So far I've got a bunch of people to repost on their Facebooks and Twitters, but still at this point I've only raised $180 towards the $4500 goal, unfortunately on the Kickstarter platform the pledges need to reach the full goal or none of the money is contributed - does this clarify?

Thanks
    Im confused..

You've made the artwork.. and want to sell it. And the kick-starter is for what?
    I mean I realize that making prints and whatnot is expensive... why not include some of those costs in the price of the work?
    -Demo-
    -Sketch Book Updated Sporadically-
    My Blog
    Tumbler & Wookmark (finished pieces and Cool stuff I find)
    -Facebook(always on but never post)-

If you see me on FB, or CA Talk to me, never to busy to talk and love to hear from you, chat me up about anything (Music, Games, art, ect)
    If anyone is interested in streams or hangouts let me know!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    Im confused..

You've made the artwork.. and want to sell it. And the kick-starter is for what?
    I mean I realize that making prints and whatnot is expensive... why not include some of those costs in the price of the work?
    Hi Demo,

I don't have the actual money to go ahead and make the prints, so a friend of mine suggested I try campaigning on Kickstarter to get some crowd funding, because well if 1000 people contributed $1 I'd have $1000 towards getting them printed

Unfortunately though I've been running into problems explaining how Kickstarter works, I kind of almost have to do double campaigning, once to explain my actual project and then again trying to explain Kickstarter - I actually thought it was a lot more popular among the art community

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    Im confused..

This. I understand what kickstarter is, but I'm not sure I understand the need for it in this instance. I'm also not sure I get the positive message. "Hi" and "smile" doesn't really seem like a self esteem changer. You might get more contributers if the messages are stronger or more specific.

Also, are you selling the prints or making them available for free? If your selling, then your kickstater seed money goal is way more expensive than a lot of other projects. Maybe try starting on a smaller scale?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by erinc View Post
    This. I understand what kickstarter is, but I'm not sure I understand the need for it in this instance. I'm also not sure I get the positive message. "Hi" and "smile" doesn't really seem like a self esteem changer. You might get more contributers if the messages are stronger or more specific.

Also, are you selling the prints or making them available for free? If your selling, then your kickstater seed money goal is way more expensive than a lot of other projects. Maybe try starting on a smaller scale?
    Thanks a lot for your feedback, I really appreciate all of it guys

Yes I think I understand what you're saying about the messages, There are short messages inside the cards, it makes perfect sense to show a shot of those as well

Yes most of the prints would be sold in an online store - they don't allow raising money for any donations or anything of that sort on the site but some of them actually will be donated to schools

The money isn't just for the prints it also helps cover the site development - I was comparing it to a bunch of other project goals and it seemed to be a good fit, but I can see what you're saying here,I should have created a budget JUST for the prints and tried to get the web development funding separately -

Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 747 Posts
    Plenty of people are making money with print on demand, too. The printer keeps the bulk of the money, but they also do the bulk of the work (printing, shipping, complaints, inventory).
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    So its artwork for kids? I'm assuming girls
    As you are speaking on behalf of all men, I will speak on behalf of all women and tell you- no.

Gosh that feminism thread makes me spread the love!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Plenty of people are making money with print on demand, too. The printer keeps the bulk of the money, but they also do the bulk of the work (printing, shipping, complaints, inventory).
    I didn't even know about this.... I'm thinking I should have come posted on CA about this a lot earlier before even starting the campaign

Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post
    As you are speaking on behalf of all men, I will speak on behalf of all women and tell you- no.

Ha, well you never know, that's why I had no comment

Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 747 Posts
    Have a look at zazzle.com, for starters.

The vast majority of people don't make more than pocket change from these kinds of arrangements. I made just enough money to get invited to their "pro" forums, where I rubbed elbows with people turning around enough merchandise to quit their day jobs.

Not surprisingly, to make it work like a real job, you have to work it like a real job. Lots of product, lots of self-promotion and working the search engines. Lots of work.

You've got a style that might do quite well there, though.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Have a look at zazzle.com, for starters.

The vast majority of people don't make more than pocket change from these kinds of arrangements. I made just enough money to get invited to their "pro" forums, where I rubbed elbows with people turning around enough merchandise to quit their day jobs.

Not surprisingly, to make it work like a real job, you have to work it like a real job. Lots of product, lots of self-promotion and working the search engines. Lots of work.

You've got a style that might do quite well there, though.
    Awesome thanks a lot for that input - yea, this is the first time I've tried commercializing my artwork besides some freelance here and there

So yea there's definitely going to be a lot of work ahead as far as self promotion and everything else goes!
    I'll be sure to check zazzle out!
    Last edited by ramtam; March 13th, 2012 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post

My cousins are the only girls of that age that I spend time with, and I assumed they were pretty indicative of the 3-7 year old market, although now I think about it, they are quite girly.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post: