Sketchbook: Ohaeri's willpower challenge sketchbook - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ohaeri's willpower challenge sketchbook

Ohaeri is offline Cranky? Yep, that's me. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Worked on this today until my head felt like it was going to explode. I didn't blend everything together as well as a few others I've done, but I strangely happy with how it looks.

On the terminators, they were kind of in odd places because of the glass. I have a separate pic showing where I think they are. That's assuming I understand what you mean (I think I do, it's just the area(s) that get neither reflected nor direct light).

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ohaeri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Summer (my daughter) is back from her grandparents' and shows no sign of being ill at all ever since she threw up.

Yay!

I found my scanner today, along with my books.

But I couldn't get the scanner to work on my computer.

(But it does work on my husband's computer, so the show goes on . . . )

Did some Bridgeman and also some Rubins (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/014...00_i00_details NSFW)--which isn't impressive really, just colored in bits with my colored pencils. It's a good supplement to Bridgeman though.

Last edited by Ohaeri; March 21st, 2012 at 07:32 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ohaeri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YES! These newest drawings are full of win. I demand 100 pages!

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ey, you seem to be working quite nicely forward here

And good job on the egg! Hehe, I tried one yesterday which certainly didn't go as well as yours...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat Kaminski View Post
    YES! These newest drawings are full of win. I demand 100 pages!
    That's not a bad goal actually. 100 pages of study. That would get me practicing quite a lot. . . . Plus if I did two or three a day I'd bang it out in no time. Probably not all Bridgeman (or maybe if I repeated it? decisions, decisions).

Quote Originally Posted by Trixtar View Post
    Ey, you seem to be working quite nicely forward here

And good job on the egg! Hehe, I tried one yesterday which certainly didn't go as well as yours...
    Well, to be fair, you did yours in a more difficult medium from what I could tell. Mine's digital, which means I can erase, paint over, undo, etc. pretty much freely.

I'm going to take a closer look at your sketchbook later on today. I love your homemade sketchbook, it's awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest flip-flopping between Bridgman, Loomis, Villpu, and life drawing.

Just do a different one every day during the week.

For example, Monday and Wednesday are Bridgman days, Tuesday and Thursday are Loomis days, and Friday and Saturday are Villpu days. To finish the week out you do Life Drawing on Sunday. This of course is just an example. Just do what's comfortable for you.

Either way, I'm excited for you!

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks that's very kind of you

But acrylics are paint-over-able... And definitely could have gotten the shape done better regardless *cringe* Hehe, well if you see my sb later then you'll notice that I have lots of such stupid errors. One of my fails is that I sit with my face buried down in the paper and don't notice anything.

And still, pc's aren't that easy to use either regardless of layers and easy erase. Really, your egg is great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest flip-flopping between Bridgman, Loomis, Villpu, and life drawing.

Just do a different one every day during the week.

For example, Monday and Wednesday are Bridgman days, Tuesday and Thursday are Loomis days, and Friday and Saturday are Villpu days. To finish the week out you do Life Drawing on Sunday. This of course is just an example. Just do what's comfortable for you.

Either way, I'm excited for you!
    I wish I could do this! I don't have any copies of books by Loomis and Vilppu, though. I can definitely put them on to "to get" list, but it's going to be a couple pay periods before I can afford to pick them up. (I used to have copies of the PDFs of Loomis's stuff, but when I heard that they had been reprinted, I deleted them.) I do have a book by Hale that I haven't really gotten into yet, and I've heard he's good. I suppose I could substitute another book for Loomis until I get ahold of some of his stuff. I've got a book by Hogarth, but I've noticed his stuff doesn't really look very good at all and I don't know that I want to trust what he teaches because of that. I'll be looking through my collection, such as it is, to figure out what I'll do. I think I'll post up a list of the books I have and pick from the list systematically.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixtar View Post
    Thanks that's very kind of you

But acrylics are paint-over-able... And definitely could have gotten the shape done better regardless *cringe* Hehe, well if you see my sb later then you'll notice that I have lots of such stupid errors. One of my fails is that I sit with my face buried down in the paper and don't notice anything.

And still, pc's aren't that easy to use either regardless of layers and easy erase. Really, your egg is great
    Well thank you I'm going to go post some more in your sketchbook now.

Last edited by Ohaeri; March 22nd, 2012 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really liking the bridgeman stuff keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post more of the figure sketches! They're great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerpigking View Post
    Really liking the bridgeman stuff keep it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jelmerschmit View Post
    Post more of the figure sketches! They're great!
    Thank you very much, to both of you!

Just to make sure everyone's clear, these are copies of really really good drawings that are helping me learn anatomy. (If I tried to create something in Bridgeman's style, I'd probably have an aneurism and it wouldn't turn out well anyway at my current skill level. ) All encouragement is extremely appreciated and very helpful, of course, but I don't want to claim credit where it isn't due.

Also, after looking through Hale's book I'm back to square one; it's really useful in the sense that I'll be reading it before doing my life drawing sessions, but copying stuff from inside would be too time-consuming to be worth it at my skill level, methinks.

So, looks like I'll be sticking to Bridgeman until I can get some Loomis and Vilppu.

This latest one took me a couple of hours. The thing about Bridgeman is that all of his work looks really random but is very detailed and all the details really matter. I'm trying not to copy every single detail exactly as it is (WAY too time consuming and fussy), but man . . . it's a challenge. On the plus side I can actually feel myself learning some anatomy while I copy, so yay!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! This is the exact thing that you should be studying.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94571 <--- here's a link to all the PDFs you might need. Some of them I believe are out of print in actual form, so the PDF will help very much!

Good luck.

And keep up the good work.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mat Kaminski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loving the Brigdman! (His stuff is awesome!)

As far as the glass ball goes -- glass is a little difficult to be picking apart so I don't think it applies in the same way I was talking. (Glass tends to distort light weirdly and doesn't work the same as a solid object would display the light. It's a whole different ball of wax. The terminator would probably apply more to a solid object instead of a glass one just because the light will fall evenly across it instead of it getting refracted/bounced around, if that makes sense?)

If you decide to do 100 pages of Bridgman/anatomy, I'll try to take up that challenge with you so you're not doing it by yourself. I can do that in conjunction with the Master Study that I'm doing with Mat. Maybe we can set ourselves a deadline or something so that it's a challenge to get it done. (Nothing crazy unreasonable like having them done in a week or something, just so we have a goal in mind to try to meet.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I take up the challenge as well if you guys are doing it ive never done bridgeman but I was gonna do him after loomis anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! This is the exact thing that you should be studying.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94571 <--- here's a link to all the PDFs you might need. Some of them I believe are out of print in actual form, so the PDF will help very much!

Good luck.

And keep up the good work.
    Nice, will be looking through that archive more thoroughly on my next day off.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Stark View Post
    Loving the Brigdman! (His stuff is awesome!)

As far as the glass ball goes -- glass is a little difficult to be picking apart so I don't think it applies in the same way I was talking. (Glass tends to distort light weirdly and doesn't work the same as a solid object would display the light. It's a whole different ball of wax. The terminator would probably apply more to a solid object instead of a glass one just because the light will fall evenly across it instead of it getting refracted/bounced around, if that makes sense?)
    Yeah, it does make sense. I need to find a decent cylinder and do my next "from life/observation" study from that.

If you decide to do 100 pages of Bridgman/anatomy, I'll try to take up that challenge with you so you're not doing it by yourself. I can do that in conjunction with the Master Study that I'm doing with Mat. Maybe we can set ourselves a deadline or something so that it's a challenge to get it done. (Nothing crazy unreasonable like having them done in a week or something, just so we have a goal in mind to try to meet.)
    It'd be great to have some buddies helping. Unfortunately 1 page per day is really pushing it for me. I've been getting to sleep around 10-11 PM most nights--I can't draw until my daughter is asleep (around 8:30 PM to 9 PM if I'm lucky; the time change has made things difficult) as there's no one else to watch her. This would be fine, except I have to get up at 4 AM to go to work. So I'm getting 5-6 hours of sleep a night, which is okay (enough), but I think pushing any harder is reallllly going to hurt.

So I guess just a page a day?

Quote Originally Posted by triggerpigking View Post
    I take up the challenge as well if you guys are doing it ive never done bridgeman but I was gonna do him after loomis anyway.
    Bridgeman can be really frustrating without some kind of anatomy supplement to go with his stuff--it's not usually clear what he's doing or why unless you have a way to understand the underlying anatomy. The best supplement I've found is Rubins's book on anatomy, which is cheap and easy to color on. (http://www.amazon.com/Human-Figure-A.../dp/0140042431) If you don't have any spare money then you might look for a website with the same information--this might be a good place to start: http://drawsketch.about.com/od/human...or_Artists.htm

It doesn't have to be an in-depth study or anything. If you get the Rubin's book, all you need to do is pick a part, color it in with a colored pencil or crayon or whatever, and say the name out loud; go through the book and color in every other place where the part appears, saying it out loud. Surprisingly easy and useful. I've already learned the muscles "frontalis", "orbicularis oculi", "nasalis", and today, "temporalis"--all on the face. Takes about five minutes and is a good warm-up.

Anyway, I've got this massive blinding headache right now, it's probably a tension headache cause I had a terrible day at work today. Someone passed us a ton of fraudulent coupons and possibly sent someone else to refund the items they bought, argh. Also I had an eight-inch stack of paperwork to catch up on. Not kidding or exaggerating, I got out a ruler and measured it and it came out to eight inches. That was before I looked up all the supplementary paperwork that went with it. I've still got about three inches left to finish. =/

I'll probably end up redoing these drawings eventually, but the point is to draw, not to fret.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay! Looks like we'll all be in this challenge together!

Where's Liffey, let's get them on this one too!

Yeah, don't fret on the studies above, it's just amazing that you're doing studies at all with that hectic schedule you have!

Glad to see you keep pushing.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mat Kaminski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yeah, don't fret on the studies above, it's just amazing that you're doing studies at all with that hectic schedule you have!

This.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Any time I get discouraged, it will help to come back and look at this, methinks.

So here's today's, done amidst about an hour and a half of various crying fits/begging to be let out of the crib by my daughter. She sure does know how to make me feel guilty. (Imagine a two-year-old crying, "Please let me out! Please let me out! Please let me out!" and also singing, "Take the key and LOCK HER UP, LOCK HER UP, LOCK HER UP! Take the key and LOCK HER UP, oh de do dah day!" Both hilarious and torturous. And me trying to draw while this is going on. Giggles and guilt fits are not good for lineart, btw. )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohaeri View Post
    Imagine a two-year-old crying, "Please let me out! Please let me out! Please let me out!" and also singing, "Take the key and LOCK HER UP, LOCK HER UP, LOCK HER UP! Take the key and LOCK HER UP, oh de do dah day!" Both hilarious and torturous.
    I actually LOL'd at this. XD

Not looking too shabby on your latest study. Make sure your lines don't get too scratchy looking. (Keep 'em clean as best you can.)

Did you copy this from a book or do it from memory? (You should always let us know which it is so that, if you copied from a book, we can reference it ourselves to see how close you got to the original. ^_^)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EDIT: Methinks a night of rest is in order; I just spent about three hours getting the tyke to consider sleeping and she's up again after about a 30-minute nap. Two pages tomorrow, since my day off is on Tuesday which means I get to sleep in (!!!!!). So staying up a little late on Monday night isn't gonna kill me.

PLEASE do me a favor though and smack me if I don't post tomorrow.

-

I actually LOL'd at this. XD

Not looking too shabby on your latest study. Make sure your lines don't get too scratchy looking. (Keep 'em clean as best you can.)
    Aye aye ma'am.

Did you copy this from a book or do it from memory? (You should always let us know which it is so that, if you copied from a book, we can reference it ourselves to see how close you got to the original. ^_^)
    Sorry, I didn't even think of that! I've been doing copies from Bridgeman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life. I'm basically just going through it in order.

Last edited by Ohaeri; March 25th, 2012 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

(Just saying.)

So it's 2 AM. Methinks two pages tomorrow should be good.

Bridgeman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life, p. 19

Last edited by Ohaeri; March 27th, 2012 at 02:57 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I could definitely tell who you're copying from, just wasn't sure if it was referenced or from memory.

Bridgman's stuff is always fairly distinctive. I love the way he does his figures.. They're so loose, but solid looking. He's awesome. (Except when he's trying to explain stuff. Sometimes I have to re-read that stuff, like, 10 times before I actually get what he's saying because of the way he'll word things. The drawings are great, however.)

The figure on the right looks pretty good. The figure on the upper left is looking a bit squashed proportion-wise. (He just looks kind of stumpy.)

Keep up the studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I fell off the wagon pretty hard as far as my "draw every day" willpower challenge goes. So now I'm picking myself up, dusting myself off, and moving on.

I think that 1 page of Bridgeman a day is going to be too much on my current schedule as it basically ends up being all Bridgeman all the time. I ended up being like, "Agh, do not want more Bridgeman" and having a willpower failure. So I'm going to just do as much as I can without getting tired of it if possible.

My husband should be switching to a shift not opposite to mine within two weeks. So my schedule will improve. Yay!

Here's what I did today and some of what I did the last day I worked on Bridgeman. The rendering has problems, but that's what practice is for. (Specifically, now that I look closely, the shadows on the right side look quite bad. Also the terminator on the body of the cylinder is clunky as well. Practice, practice, practice!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think the toilet paper roll looks too bad, actually. I can definitely get a feel of what the lighting was and what the form is. The shading could be a tad smoother in some parts, but it's not terrible.

Watch your proportions on the anatomy study, however -- that one's looking a bit off. (Especially in the arm/chest areas. It looks like the arms are too short, and the breasts are.. somewhat lopsided? XD)

Keep up with the studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything has a beginning. Keep it up!

My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think the toilet paper roll looks too bad, actually. I can definitely get a feel of what the lighting was and what the form is. The shading could be a tad smoother in some parts, but it's not terrible.
    It not being terrible is definitely an improvement!

Watch your proportions on the anatomy study, however -- that one's looking a bit off. (Especially in the arm/chest areas. It looks like the arms are too short, and the breasts are.. somewhat lopsided? XD)
    Yeah, that ended up being why I stopped in the middle of it. Ironically, when Bridgeman uses guidelines, I find it so much harder to keep everything in proportion. I find it way easier to just freehand it. I don't know why; I measure the lines carefully and make sure they're all correct and I try really hard to make everything fit between the lines. I might just draw the lines afterward and see how I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar` View Post
    Everything has a beginning. Keep it up!
    Thank you!

So, this week I'm doing a lot of overtime starting today. I'm getting ready to cover one of my coworker's vacation and so I'll have effectively double the workload. Small amount of drawing this week, but I'm going to keep pushing.

Can't wait until my husband and I are on similar schedules. Everything will be SO MUCH EASIER then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I drew gestures of my daughter today for an hour and a half. Of course, most of those were unfinished and looked pretty illegible because she was moving around so much. I did get this one though.

Long study incoming on Tuesday, followed by another one on Wednesday. Also I'll be visiting threads by then too. Both hubby and I have been working overtime, so it's been extra hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not comparing you to this guy, but remember... just like Vulgar said, everything has a beginning:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870 <--- MindCandyMan, probably one of the most inspirational of the bunch methinks.

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Mat Kaminski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (Never fear, I'm going to be redoing this study tomorrow. )

So the Week From Hell (TM) is over at work. I ended up working overtime a good bit and went in on my days off, which is why no long study showed up. But, enough of that, back to your regularly scheduled drawing. Slow and steady wins the race, as they say.

I got my Loomis book in the mail. It is super pretty. I like the way Loomis presents information, it's very non-intimidating. This is from Figure Drawing for All It's Worth, p. 26.

He is a bit skewed, so I'll be redoing him tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay for the end of the week from hell! (Hey, we've all been there and understand how that goes. XD)

Since you're going to redo this last study, I'll wait to comment on it until I see your updated version.

Instead, I'll just offer some encouragement -- Keep it up! ^_^

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1