Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Gay Marriage

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Gay Marriage

"The [UK] government wants to introduce gay marriage by 2015, but says churches would not have to perform weddings.

Last week Cardinal Keith O'Brien, the leader of the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland, said the "grotesque" plans would "shame the United Kingdom in the eyes of the world" if implemented"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17329902

Personally I think its a bit rich that a bunch of virgins who for decades covered up the sexual abuse of children think they can tell people who love eachother they're shaming their entire country by wanting to get married, but thats just me.

What do you think?

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally I think its a bit rich that a bunch of virgins who for decades covered up the sexual abuse of children think they can tell people who love each other they're shaming their entire country by wanting to get married, but thats just me.
    Quoted for emphasis.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcorc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 333 Posts
    Follows
    Following

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tehmeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought it already was legal, at least in England?

It's legal in Denmark.
    And I support it fully, as long as they truly do love each other. Love should be honored!

This church doesn't only abuse children, I have also heard stories of it actually supporting spousal abuse by telling the beaten woman that she should suck it up and honor her husband!

Either way, I don't give much credit for the church. In my honest and very personal opinion, church marriages is just a hype. If the gay people can't get it in the church, they should make up something even better.
    ...Says the person who won't ever marry anyone! Ever!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it interesting that people who is critical of gay marriages and makes statements saying that it will affect society in negative way, don't seem to be interested in statistics.

Countries that have allowed same sex marriages, and had it for at least 5 years have: Low STD rates, high fertility rates (for western society), low crime rates, often quite stable economies (despite the economical crisis in the world), low teen pregnancy rates, no higher or lower divorce rates then other countries, etc.

And gay marriages have had no effect on it. The countries that allowed gay marriages is still doing just fine. The changes that can be seen is things like positive effects on the mental health of HBTQ people.

I have no intention of becoming a professional artist, I just aspire to become a really good amateur.

Sketchbook: w176 love of the color dirt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's a fair move. Gays and lesbians have the right to civil union, and the Catholic Church still has the right to practice Marriage the way they want to. Everybody wins.

I can't see how anyone can be unhappy with this.

the Church's two most senior archbishops say the change would reduce the significance of marriage.
    I believe it was the Church of England who institutionalized Divorce, but if the Catholic church feels so strongly about it then surely they can lobby for it's abolishment in parliament. I think that trivializes marriage more than same sex marriage. Maybe more people would realize what the word 'commitment' actually means. I chuckle every time I hear the words "for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part." Nobody believes it when they say it.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wait what? Gay marriage wasn't allowed yet in the UK? Odd, I thought it would be. It's been legal here for some time.

But yeah agreed with OP of course.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    People are silly. There is nothing wrong with Gay Marriage, and it should be allowed in every state and country.

End of story.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Featheredface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...me_08_03_2012/
    (This won't be view-able outside the UK, sorry)

This week's question time talks about the topic, and a couple of interesting points have been made.
    For example, that the state cannot/should not allow gay marriage in churches because the church is/should be independent from the state. Thus, civil marriage could/should be allowed, church however would fall beyond government jurisdiction.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Every time someone says something about the "sancticity/significance of marriage" or any variant thereof, I want to throw a giant stack of newspaper clippings and articles of divorces, arranged marriages, short celeb marriages and domestic violence in their faces.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to crossmirage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post

Personally I think its a bit rich that a bunch of virgins who for decades covered up the sexual abuse of children think they can tell people who love eachother they're shaming their entire country by wanting to get married, but thats just me.
    Ha Ha hope you dont mind if I put that in my sig.

So until this point gay marriage hasnt been legal in the uk?
    I always thought it already was.
    The whole argument is as stupid as most other religious arguments.

Church "Gays are evil"
    me "Um why?"
    church "Because they are shut up!"

I have nothing against religion but it really pisses me off how they bitch about stuff and never give any evidence to back up what theyre saying.

I'm pretty sure most people just use the religious card to try to get things banned withought any evidence just because they don't like it.

Hell I have a friend who's christian and hes ashamed to admit it because he hates the christian community so much.

Sorry that I went on a bit of a rant there.

As lordlouis above me said though if the church don't want to support it you can't force them as I don't think the churches are under government jurisdiction and quite frankly even if they were forced I still don't think gay couples would want to be married there so fuck the church let them do what they do with there heads shoved up their asses just make sure that they can't affect anything outside of their church.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Modern marriage is "gay" anyway. I say bring back the blood letting rituals and goat semen drinking. Nothing says "I am committed to you" like self flagellation and downing a chalice of luke warm sticky stuff on a Sunday afternoon!

Seriously though, I am surprised gay marriage is not already legal over here. I mean, it's not exactly the big moral and political issue it seems to be in places like the States.

"You have a taste for drawing - I trust it will improve." - Melmoth, The Wanderer

Sketchbook
    Blog

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Munin Raven For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think the church is more afraid that same sex marriage will reduce the significance of getting married in a church...

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    "The [UK] government wants to introduce gay marriage by 2015, but says churches would not have to perform weddings.

Last week Cardinal Keith O'Brien, the leader of the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland, said the "grotesque" plans would "shame the United Kingdom in the eyes of the world" if implemented"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17329902

What do you think?
    Wake me up when the BBC gets around to asking reps from the Religion Of Peace what they think about Gay Marriage.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand why churches would not allow gay couples to get marriage on their property. I mean they read from the same book that states that homosexuality is an abomination and that they should be put the death for such acts. Reconciliation with the good book seems close to possible given the theistic scripture. But gay rights are human rights and if gay people want to ceremoniously express their devotion and love to each other then they should be allowed the same status and rights as straight people. Good for the UK.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,592 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's Old Testament. We need a lot more loving in the world, so I'm all for it.

Better quote about the Archbishop was "A sexually repressed virgin, wearing a frock with a big gay hat is in no position to talk about marriage in any way."

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To clarify, the UK has allowed civil unions for some time.

Wiki explains:
    "Civil partnerships in the United Kingdom, granted under the Civil Partnership Act 2004, give same-sex couples rights and responsibilities identical to civil marriage.[1] Civil partners are entitled to the same property rights as married opposite-sex couples, the same exemption as married couples on inheritance tax, social security and pension benefits, and also the ability to get parental responsibility for a partner's children,[2] as well as responsibility for reasonable maintenance of one's partner and their children, tenancy rights, full life insurance recognition, next of kin rights in hospitals, and others. There is a formal process for dissolving partnerships akin to divorce."

The row at the moment is simply whether gay people can get "married," a concept the church feel they have an exclusive ownership over and responsibility to protect from filthy perverts in loving monogamous relationships.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think that civil marriage should be the official marriage for everybody and the church ceremony should have no legal standing. It creeps me out to have the church's sticky fingers on things that have nothing to do with them.

If you want to be legal in the sight of the government then you should do the witness thing in front of the government and if you then want to give your god a heads-up you can do it on your own time.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So they can establish romantic relationships, live together and share a life and properties but somehow establishing that union under the law as marriage is such a terrible shameful thing.

The church can have wathever ideas they want as to what they thing is right or wrong, they can frown gay weddings in their religion just as jewish people frown eating pork and so on. But i´m not really eager to hear arguments in law making and civil rights that affect everone by biased people who probably think farting is a sin, they can live their lives how they choose and should allow the rest to do the same.

Something that does upsets me is with the adoption issues, people will rather have kids go without parents than they being raised by a couple that can and most importantly want to provide and care for them.

Why do they get the idea that for adopting a kid you just go in the door, choose one from the shelve and they give it to you right away? even to rescue a stray dog or cat from a pound you need a process, so two straight people that go trough the hassle and the filtering required to prove worthy of the responsability are welcomed but two gay people equally as qualified to raise a kid woulnd´t be allowed in the door.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDSart For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,592 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quakers are okay with it and they're about the most peaceful Christians you can find. Of course you need to be a Quaker. If a quaint pious section like them can get their head round it, so should the rest.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im against it, its entirely against nature, nuff said.

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rem92 View Post
    I bet the gayness emited to the atmosphere is what it is causing global warming.
    Nature need be protected!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSart View Post
    I bet the gayness emited to the atmosphere is what it is causing global warming.
    Bullocks, gayness is nature's answer to overpopulation!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know what i mean, come on now, we were designed for males to pair with females, thats nature, we are part of it.

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

It's true!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmlhUn8TvT0

I have no intention of becoming a professional artist, I just aspire to become a really good amateur.

Sketchbook: w176 love of the color dirt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know what i mean, come on now, we were designed for males to pair with females, thats nature, we are part of it.
    Animals that (have been recorded to) mate and form pairs with individuals of their own gender; Black swans, Gulls, Ibises, Mallards, Penguins, Vultures, Pigeons, Amazon Dolphin, American Bison, Bonobo and other apes, Bottlenose dolphins, Elephants, Giraffes, Monkeys, Japanese macaque, Lions, Polecat, Sheep, Spotted Hyena, Lizards, Dragonflies, Fruit flies, Bed bugs and presumably more.

Not quite as unnatural as you think. If you have a problem with "unnatural" things though better turn off your computer and start living in a forest or something, few things you use and consume can still be considered natural in that sense.

Oh, and you know what isn't natural either? Oral and anal sex and many common positions. You sir are boring in the bedroom!

37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some people say that monogamy is against nature. Should we eliminate marriage entirely?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Some people say that monogamy is against nature. Should we eliminate marriage entirely?
    Not a bad idea either. It's expensive and unnecessary. Pairing for life is a decision that doesn't necessarily need to be made "official" (at least, from my point of view. Obviously for a religious person the reasoning will be rather different).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know what i mean, come on now, we were designed ...
    No we were not.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For a long time I struggled with that idea too.
    And I still believe that just as animals, we evolved and we still are "designed" to mate male/female because that's the way it works, otherwise we would stop reproducing.
    The difference however you can make is,
    designed to mate m/f = only allowed form of existence or
    designed to mate m/f = one of many forms of existence.

And as Lhune mentioned already, it is a natural occurrence amongst many species, and animals don't bother so much with the "acceptance" of homosexuality (god that in itself sounds homophobic already..)

//edit ah yes and I meant to add, sexuality/sexual orientation /= reproducing.

Last edited by LordLouis; March 11th, 2012 at 03:52 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.