Character Crit
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Character Crit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character Crit

Hi, Ive been working on this girl for a while, let me know your crit and how you would improve it, tnx in advance

-
    Heres my DA page

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well I'm really no expert on anatomy and stuff, but there's something in her face that doesn't look right..her eyes aren't similar; the right one goes up and the left one goes down at the edges. and the tattoo on her face looks flat. impressive detailing though!

tesorone.deviantart.com
    tesorone.tumblr.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Structure and anatomy could be tighter. Some color to the light and shadows won't hurt.

Desaturate it and look at it again from a few yards' distance. If you still can read what's going on in the picture, all right. If it looks noisy or confusing or lacks a clear silhouette, you need to rework the composition of values.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why are you still here? You obviously have no interest in what we have to say anyhow.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iambanana For This Useful Post:

LAG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by iambanana View Post
    Why are you still here? You obviously have no interest in what we have to say anyhow.
    FYI this refers to the OP's previous threads
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=237589
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=233437

which all received crits and paintovers, but the OP didn't come back to it, and no evidence of taking the crit into account on his DA account either.

and:
    Quote Originally Posted by ianessom View Post
    i dont think its fair to do that to my painting, i will not be posting here again
    otherwise it looks a bit out of the blue.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

LAG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks tesorone and arenhaus.
    I think I'm gone try a few things with it.
    Any more crit is welcome bcz I'm not planing to finish it just yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it just me, or does this seem incredibly flat to anyone else? Like, this is a cardboard cutout of a woman pasted onto a rocky screen or something.

<-- not a professional artist, so maybe not 100% reliable.

She kinda looks like she's got some crazy giraffe neck going on there.

The armor around her shoulders and arms looks like it's growing out of her flesh.

One buttcheek is lower than the other.

{insert usual complaint about unrealistic armor on female characters; why would any warrior with access to metal and leather put armor around their upper back and shoulders instead of, I dunno, around their fleshy soft abdomen that doesn't even have the protection of a ribcage; yes, I feel like a broken record}

Anyway, congrats on just barely avoiding the usual 'let's show tits and ass at the same time, no matter what it does to the characters's spine' pose. She's still anatomically incorrect, but it could be worse.

Ian Mack says [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][] >

Obligatory Andrew Loomis Link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Proportions are way off. The head is so tiny and the spine incredibly long. Make sure the drawing is right before you start painting it, and especially before you start detailing it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some good points guys, I guess every one has a different size head but I will check the size of it, as for armour I'm thinking it is decorative armour more than battle armour but I will consider that in future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here we go again.

ianessom; can you please put up an image here when your starting out, stuff like thumbnails, designs, reference images. that way i think everything will work out much better for everyone. this is the work in progress and critique centre. so it would be nice to see some process. because the last couple of timesm you put up a piece that you think is great, other people dont agree, you get offended and its just a waste of time for everyone. so please next time just think about that.

first of all the image is flat, yes. you need to do some more anatomy studies and reference collecting as its just not right, the womans hips are at an angle and the sholders are side on and just looks wiered. again experiment with thumbnails.

design. you seem to suffer from design tourettes. its like your paiting along and suddenly you get a sudden urge to snake dangleing from her arm? or a rat with a spanner or something. when that happens just ask if its helping the piece, is there a reason. stuff like that.
    still on design. just please start reading fashion magazines or watching fashion runway show, because your influences seem to be like oldschool b movie sci-fi and s n m atm.

also i wish you would delete those texture brushes and just see what you can do with just a hard round brush and a normal layer. i think you will learn a lot, as most of your pieces seem to lean heavy on the texture brushes.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

LAG

Members who have read this thread: 1