NEW MONITOR
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: NEW MONITOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

NEW MONITOR

Hi guys, I want to buy a new monitor, and I was thinking of this LG E40 Series 19 inch LED Monitor E1941 or this MONITOR 22 LCD LG W2243, but really I don't know what to look for in terms of the things that make a monitor good for digital art. I notice that some monitors have problems depending on where do u look at it, some change the colors and other the contrast.

Plz let me know what u think about this

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have to check what sort of panel technology is being used for the screens. If it's a TN panel then it's a no go.

The Panel tech you should be sticking to is either VA or IPS. Though IPS would be preferable because of the higher colour fidelity and does not have a vertical colour shift.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure about that specific model, but I just recently picked up a new LG Desktop Monitor.

I got the LG - IPS Series 23" LED Monitor - IPS236V, got it from Best Buy for like $200, the display wobbles a bit, but the color quality is excellent. That would be my recomendation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    darkmagistric- yes that's what I want, but I can't find in my location, so I was thinking this could be good choise too

http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consume...e=series-3-led

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As stated above TN screens are crap can't be emphasised enough.
    Look for a monitor with IPS-E or IPS-S (slightly improved version of IPS) are the better options. I would recommend the dells ultra sharp line with E or S version. But double check before ordering some Ultra sharp versions are actually TN screens .

I Use a Ultra sharp 24" plenty of desktop space, and USBports, HDMI, and very good rotatable axle so you can adjust your monitor very well. cons are Factory settings is super bright but adjustable its slightly expensive but you get your moneys worth.

*added

Short summary TN screens lacks Colour spectrum & Contrast depth, Makes working with smooth gradients and subtle colour changes bad.
    Colour saturation limit do also varies a bit more between manufacturer on TN screens.

Last edited by k4j; April 5th, 2012 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think tn screens can be ok if you wan't to game now and then. If you don't game at all or VERY little go with ips. Check out this forum and browse through it a couple of hours: http://hardforum.com/

I would go with a 23/24 inch screen at least.

Good luck

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well if you're on a budget, AOC (which is Envision) also produces this razor thin e-IPS monitor. By Razor thin, it is about the same thickness as an intuos4 or ipad. .9mm The power supply is not on the back of the monitor but a small adaptor box with the power supply plug.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005IHMLOI

I got mine for under 200 and I was amazed already by the clarity. The base has 2 hdmi and a vga port (get an hdmi to dvi cable if your desktop has no hdmi outlets)

The base is a bit weird, the power buttons are on the base and if you don't look you may miss out on where it is at first.

e-IPS is inferrior to s-IPS but still way better than TN.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5469/a...nice-low-price
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...monitor-review

Last edited by Arshes Nei; April 5th, 2012 at 07:18 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 2