3D interior Paintover (help + crit appreciated!)
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 3D interior Paintover (help + crit appreciated!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3D interior Paintover (help + crit appreciated!)

So I made an interior model in sketchup of a hallway, kind of like in a sci-fi underground base setting. But the thing is, I'm having trouble doing the paint over (apply more textures?) and also adding more elements in the picture itself. I feel like it's missing some colours, details in general. Right now it looks bland to me... Not sure how to fix.

Thanks!!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by hekatoncheir; March 10th, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You need to use the "Make Less Bland" filter in Photoshop (In the pulldown menu: Filter--Artistic--Make Less Bland).

Ha ha. Seriously, it's pretty easy to do a "generic industrial sci-fi corridor." If you want it to be more interesting, you should probably focus on redesigning the thing with an eye toward adding more architectural drama rather than gussying it up with some additional textures.

Last edited by Giacomo; March 10th, 2012 at 01:36 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Add some posters or graffiti? If you still want to retain a formal feeling it could be warning sign, or formal maps of the complex.

I have no intention of becoming a professional artist, I just aspire to become a really good amateur.

Sketchbook: w176 love of the color dirt

5. The Following User Says Thank You to w176 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Before you add anything, you need to decide the back story for this hallway. Sure, it's part of an underground base, but what kind of base? Is it new? Old? Abandon? Foreign? Is it on another planet? Was it even made by people? Who works there? What do they make? Do they like their job? Would they care if someone dumped trash on the floor? Would they care if someone attacked the base. Would they fight back? If so, with what kind of weapons?

It's a nice image, but it's not giving us any information. An environment should be a character in of itself. Think about Rapture in Bioshock, or the town of Silent Hill. Those places stick with us because they have as much history and personality as any human character.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keith_v For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    giancomo: where would I be without you giancomo? haha. I know my architecture is a bit boring (and also pressed for time, since this is due tomorrow), but how do I make an interior more .. "dramatic"? Like, I'm not sure how to add what elements. Like the concept art refs I gathered you know, showed basic hallways structure + really cool industrial stuffies. Though I guess I realized my problem now... I'm just not familiar with the theme. Like what does what and why is it there. :| Definitely working on it... however slow a process...

w176:ahh a sign is a great idea!! Thanks guuurlfran! I didn't use a warning sign because that felt a little too antagonistic to its own employees. hahaha. (But I did find a sign that said "lab coats must be worn in this area"!)

keith_v: Yeah, much agreed. I guess I kind of pushed all that aside and figured it was going to come to me as I was making the image (which.. of course, didn't happen).

But anyways, I went back to work on the image again. More or less because I also needed some practise with texturizing too... and due tomorrow~ haha. ;_;

This time, worked a bit more on the decor, you know, reflective tiles, glass, etc. I was thinking of an underground lab facility, it's not abandoned, but it's after hours, and no one's working overtime tonight. The large wall structures to the right are like see through glass panels, but the lab's closed. I was aiming for a more quiet and desolate feeling.. but also like a feeling of you're not supposed to be here right now (unwelcoming?). (Anyone been to an office after-hours? It's kind of creepy..)

You know, if anyone knows a good tut on interior concepting (other than Brachna, I've always gone back to his videos haha), I'd appreciate it...

Also thanks soo much for the crits!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you're still ignoring the people who work here again. The idea of the lab in the middle of the night is very good, and like you said, even the most mundane of places can be very creepy when empty (I used to go to my college on the weekends and at night to use the computer labs or photo darkroom. An empty school building can be very unnerving.) But in the image, there's no signs that there was a single person in this lab for years. You need to provide information that people were there only a few hours ago.

Think about drawing a soldier in plain clothes. What kind of details would you use to show the viewer he was a soldier without using a uniform? He could have very worn skin from being in the sun so long. He may have a few scars from combat. Maybe he wears a necklace that bares a military symbol or he wears his dog-tags. He may have some tattoos. If he's fresh from a tour, he may be a bit skinny. He'll probably keep his same buzz-cut he had before. The point is that we know he is a soldier without being told, and that's what you have to do.

Think about what may happen in a lab at the end of the day. Perhaps janitors come through and clean the floors and leave out wet floor signs. They may have left the entire mop sitting in the hallway. A lab worker may leave a note on a door telling the person working the morning shift to remember to turn on the cooling vents when they come in. Perhaps a hallway gets gated off at night and there's a cardboard sign taped to the gate that says "Mike has the key. Ring him if you need to get in". Maybe someone leaves clock-in sheets on the doors in case anyone wants to use the lab overnight. Perhaps electrical boxes are left open as a reminder to those in the morning to reset the breaker when they come in.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to keith_v For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what prog did you use for the 3d?

ive been wanting to get into 3d design then painting over it... but idk what programs to use?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally I think you went too far in the last one, your first image was good, for a laboratory complex it needed to be clean, it just needed the few tiny adjustments to say what its purpose was and make it look lived in or used.
    Like scuffs on the floor or walls where trolleys had been by, a disgarded coke can on the floor near a waste basket, lab coats on a few hooks, just simple things like that with a few labels on doors and walls would have been enough.
    This was a good image and in my opinion was a case of less is definately more.

all the best with it whatever you decide mate.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1