Sketchbook: Cleveland's Sketchbook (Some Nudity)

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cleveland's Sketchbook (Some Nudity)

Hi all,

Been pretty terrified of starting this and it's held me back for years. Trying to get a little more serious, so I thought I would share some of my works and hopefully, some of my progress. Looking forward to all the help and criticism I've seen on conceptArt.org. I really need to be more prolific and creative. And I really really need to draw more...

Thanks in advance.

Cleveland

Starting off with one original, one 6 hour study and one 1 hour study.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Cleveland; March 13th, 2012 at 12:10 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay so here's a couple of 60 minute valueStudies, some 60 second female gestures and a first round of carnivoreCyborgs concept works. Oh, and an old colorThumbnail for a bigger piece. Busy day for me. Now that the dust has settled, I can see all the mistakes in these exercises...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like the start of another great sketchbook. Very nice studies and good job on the original piece. I am trying to remember the name of the actress in the second image :p

Welcome to CA! I look forward to seeing more from you

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work! I can't wait to see more!

//***Off site***//
    my website

//***Concept art***//
    sketch thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jondawo: thanks. The actresses name is Natalie Dormer. I saw your thread a couple of days ago, and liked what I saw. I'll go and check it out again when I get the chance.
    @pointpusher: I hope to make you proud. As long as we ignore this evenings fail...

Gestures, then I got distracted by the "reference" for an hour or so. I'll hope to finish it, just to show that I can. It's got some real problems to be ironed out. Then I tore myself away to study some horse skulls. Like bromide in my tea...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, no time for anything today. Just my warmups. 60 Second Gestures and what amounts to a 50minute photoStudy. Not really happy with it, but the subtlety of shading on the original was quite tough...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Usual warmup gestures, refining the carnivore/cyborgs a little (I picked 4 that weren't to horrible from the original 20), and another 15 minutes on that stupid time waste. Gosh it's awful, but at least it's only in the coloring and the drawing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow this is awesome!
    Do you spend like 60 sec. on all your gesture studies!?
    I don't think I can make a person standing totally straight in even 3 min!

Your other art is great too, and I look forward to see more

PS: Thanks for the comment in my SB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Trixtar, yeah those gestures you see are all 60 seconds. I try and do them for 20 minutes everyday, although I often miss days due to family/work etc. Sure you can do them, and I don't even think mine are that great. When i first started drawing I had scratchy and hesitant lines. A life drawing monitor told me to do contour and blind contour drawing. This helped with confidence and hand-eye coordination, but like any physical skill it requires constant use / practice to remain viable. After getting your brain to control your hand accurately, an approach needs to be achieved. These are gesture drawings, and under 90% of them is the gesture line, or line-of-action. Then I mark off the direction and position of the shoulders and hips, if I can see them. After that comes the hard part which is the drawing itself. For this there is no substitute for study and practice. When you study, you'll need to find the simplification of forms, the rhythm and repetition, the stretch and compression. Then when you do the fast gestures (over thousands of incidents) your eye will see the important details, and your brain will simplify them and your hand will replicate them. The terms I'm using can all be searched on the web (maybe add "anatomy" or "life drawing" for better results). When I don't do longer studies (with simplification in mind), my gestures suffer. Drawing from the live model is best, but if you can't, photographs are better than NOTHING. I can't get to live sessions very much, so I set up a slide show from my reference "Library", with 60 seconds of course. DeviantArt is a good place to get "artisitic" reference, as opposed to the other kind, which is not normally well lit...

The first time I tried to draw gestures, it was so awful the instructor just shook her head, and I ran from the class in embarrassment. So, yeah, you'll get there. And I still have a ways to go myself.

Cleveland

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love those little poses...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for that very useful visit to my sketchbook. I fear I can't be as constructive with your work as I can't find a useful way to critique it. The only thing I can say is that it's always worth spending some time finding photo references that have good lighting situation (sometimes you can even find multiple light sources). This place is a fairly good source. http://shadowimagephoto.deviantart.com/ On the other hand an artist should always be tackling their weaknesses. hmmmm

Keep up your great work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @vigostar, Thanks, they're cute, but it took me quite a few sessions before they got good enough to show.

@jondawo, yeah, you're definitely right. I have to stop getting seduced by pretty/unusual faces as I should know better. I do have some images from shadowimagephotography in my library, but mostly full body stuff for anatomy and gestures.

Speaking of multiple light sources, here's a really old study I did. Took me way too long (20hrs?). I learned a lot from it, but didn't paint for the longest time and forgot everything. I shall try not to post too many old works up here, but it felt appropriate.

Cleveland

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice. Iron man is always appropriate. Sometimes it's good to spend "way too long" on a piece and finish it completely just tell prove to yourself that you CAN do it, rather than just being stuck in an ongoing process of almost finished studies and unfinished sketches.

Last edited by jondawo; March 17th, 2012 at 12:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jondawo, absolutely

been very busy with non art stuff. Managed to squeeze a little out. The obligatory 60 second gestures (I'll probably post less of these.) And a couple of 45 minutes studies. Trying a little different approach that involves a lot of squinting and solid blocks of paint. Jury is out.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been away on vacation for a bit, found it very hard to get time to draw etc. Here's some sketches. I think they're all from my head except for the really crap Sean Bean thing. I love doing the little women silhouettes. They're the closest to doodling that I ever get.

I'm working a bit more on the larger project. It's at a real awful stage right now, but I think I know where I'm going from here. Fix problems and render / detail it out. I picked a real stupid lighting scheme. Green ambient and key with a blown out purple secondary. Yeah, that'll work. I'd love to get some crits if there's anyone out there, but as it's such a WIP I know it might be hard...

And a quick 60 minute scene study from "that" movie. I guess we can see where my influences are these days...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Asuka Langley Soryu! Well played sir

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff man. Id work on your faces though, something seems just a bit off. I have difficulty with faces as well so its hard to put my finger on. Although the woman in your most recent post looks really good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Velocity Kendall, as cosplayed by Molly Quinn. Thanks
    @ Metallurgist, thanks. I'm hitting some head/face studies now. Haven't done them in the longest time. Which shows... I guess I just have to be studying everything, all the time.

Cleveland

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the feel of your traditional sketches. The variety of genres makes it very fun to look at and the flowing lines in some of them are awesomesauce.
    I find it difficult to critique without sounding nitpicky, however, maybe some short studies focused on knees might help sell the original you're working on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @jondawo, thanks. Definitely need to study knees, in the meantime, I'll just throw a skirt on them!

Seriously though, got a few notes from the WIP forum which I'm addressing now. Hopefully, I'll get this finished this year!

55 minute movie still study and some gestures which I think are getting worse...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grate SB! Love your first post. Killer pows
    Ill be back

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.