Thanks

guns and rose-tinted ink

A couple of months ago a friend asked me to paint his BB gun in a forest camo because he had a skirmish the following week (and I was apparently the only person he knew who could have the word "artist" thrown somewhere in their general direction), I told him I'd do it if he payed for the materials and owed me one. He dropped off his gun at my place, I painted it, he picked it up the next day, and I forgot all about it. A week later, I came home from school to see someone I vaguely recognised waiting on my doorstep holding a sports bag. The guy proceeded to explain that he was a friend of my friend and wanted me to paint his guns, which explained the sports bag. The guy had really posh/expensive, full-metal BB guns, so naturally I was a little worried that I'd ruin them, although seeing a business opportunity, I offered to paint them for a fiver each, again, everything went great, he was really pleased and I was £15 in the black. Over the last few weeks, a whole bunch of people have asked me to paint their BB guns and I've made around £40, minus material costs.
    It's all died down now, but I've discovered a real passion for painting guns, there's just something really fun about it. So I've been on Amazon and I bought myself some Nerf guns. Here's the first.
    Anyone else discovered a passion for something totally by accident?
    PS: all the images are inverted and crappy quality, but meh.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1331337756
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1331337914
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1331337948
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1331338059

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    neat! But dude....£5?

I know that's like...10 of my dollars or something, but holy shit. That's cheap. How long did each gun take you to do?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    neat! But dude....£5?

I know that's like...10 of my dollars or something, but holy shit. That's cheap. How long did each gun take you to do?
    no more than an hour or so for their stuff, this one took longer because it's a little more complicated.
    1GBP = 1.6 USD last I checked, so its like 8$. To be honest, I wasn't doing it for the money (although I wasn't going to do it without it either), also if you take into account mate's rates (I know most of the guys from school) and the fact that I'm still 17, in school, and living at home (no living costs 'till next year), its more than enough for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    no more than an hour or so for their stuff, this one took longer because it's a little more complicated.
    1GBP = 1.6 USD last I checked, so its like 8$. To be honest, I wasn't doing it for the money (although I wasn't going to do it without it either), also if you take into account mate's rates (I know most of the guys from school) and the fact that I'm still 17, in school, and living at home (no living costs 'till next year), its more than enough for me.
    Fair enough.
    You had fun with it, so that's great!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    This guy doesn't do BB guns, but he makes props for cosplay.

http://volpinprops.blogspot.com/

He's done some really great work. Like the rifle for the live-action ME3 commercial:

guns and rose-tinted ink

HL2 Gravity Gun:

guns and rose-tinted ink

And Portal Guns:

guns and rose-tinted ink

You can put conceptart skills to work and build your creations. Of course prop work probably isn't what it used to be.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by s.ketch View Post
    This guy doesn't do BB guns, but he makes props for cosplay.

http://volpinprops.blogspot.com/

He's done some really great work. Like the rifle for the live-action ME3 commercial:

You can put conceptart skills to work and build your creations. Of course prop work probably isn't what it used to be.
    This stuff is really cool, I like doing prop work, but I've only ever had one opportunity to see/try out doing it with professional equipment/materials. I visited the place where they did the costumes and stuff for hellboy II, I got to pour some green resin stuff into a mould, but really I was just there to observe. I've helped out with school plays, although all the equipment I had access to during those was gaffer tape and an assortment of spray-paints.

Making / designing real props for movies and stuff would be a dream job really, but I'm not sure how to get into it. ATM I'm content with painting Nerf guns

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Making / designing real props for movies and stuff would be a dream job really, but I'm not sure how to get into it. ATM I'm content with painting Nerf guns
    But that's how it starts. Paint Nerf guns then you get a little bored and start building your own. Fitting things to Nerf and other guns you buy with glue then finding all the parts and on and on. In the meantime you find out what these guys do to get to where they are in the industry and start to pattern your professional life. Maybe we'll see your work in games or on the big screen someday.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That's pretty cool I'd be quite interested in hearing about your process, if you don't mind going into it a bit.
    Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post
    But that's how it starts. Paint Nerf guns then you get a little bored and start building your own. Fitting things to Nerf and other guns you buy with glue then finding all the parts and on and on. In the meantime you find out what these guys do to get to where they are in the industry and start to pattern your professional life. Maybe we'll see your work in games or on the big screen someday.
    I hope so, lol.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Lofgren View Post
    That's pretty cool I'd be quite interested in hearing about your process, if you don't mind going into it a bit.
    Of course I don't mind

I used my old warhammer paints (I have bunches of half used pots lying around the house) because they work on pretty much anything. They're only like £2 a pot (three years ago mind).
    - Black spray paint for the base (which you can get for like a fiver at Homebase or some other DIY shop equivalent).
    - Dry-brush some dull silver and gold on the top parts to make it look burnished. (Dry-brushing is what it sounds like, just using very little paint (so the brush is practically dry) and gently brushing the surface, it lets the colour underneath come out and is great for picking out edges and anything raised.)
    - I painted the red bits with a deep, dark red and dry-brushed orange and yellow, I also used some silver on the edges of the red parts to make it look worn, but my picture is bad quality and you probably cant see that
    - I used dark brown with light brown dry-brushed in a vertical direction (to simulate wood grain on the handle and side panels.
    - I borrowed some rose tinted and sepia ink from my dad (he likes to use an old fashioned pen) to make the 'wood' bit look varnished and help the colour of the red bit.
    - lastly I whacked some blue paint on there to make it look like a plasma-gun.
    It's really not too hard to do.
    hope this helped

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post: