Sketchbook: COME AT ME BRO!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: COME AT ME BRO!

Quixotic is offline ...just leavin' my 2 1/2 cents... Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool COME AT ME BRO!

Ok, so here's the deal. I'm gonna (try to) keep this short and sweet.

I am TERRIBLE at practicing. TERRIBLE. I wanna get better, a LOT better. Now, I am not an art student and dont have an unlimited amount of free time, however, I realized that I was able to find time to play video games. Why? Because they were competitive. I am currently taking a break from video gaming, (since it was so much time) and I wanna grind (hehe gaming terms) my art skills. But I feel like I cant get out of my comfort zone and really push myself. Thus, the title of this thread, COME AT ME BRO! I want YOU to give me assignments EPIC QUESTS to help push me to the next level. Pretty much anything goes.

LONG TERM GOALS:

1. Get the skills needed to make the epic graphic novel that has been floating around in my head for a long time now. But I'm scared to start working on it until I am significantly more confident in my abilities.
    2. Have fun getting there

SHORT/MID TERM GOALS:

1. More variety in my ability to draw characters (more aggressive pov, more dynamic poses, better expressions, different body types)
    2. COLOR (I understand basic color theory, but I need to learn to implement it)
    3. Environment
    4. Finishing Work (I sketch a LOT but dont make many "finished works")

ASSIGNMENT RULES (really more like guidelines)
    1. Assignments can be very specific to very open-ended.
    2. Please try to add variety, if I just did 20 figure studies, please dont make me do 20 more.
    3. Remember that this is supposed to be time efficient, so repetitive assignments arent bad, just possibly inefficient, on that note sending me a like to a good Photoshop tutorial counts as efficient (I'm learning a lot, fast).
    4. I reserve the right to reject an assignment, however once I accept an assignment, I must finish what I start and post the results.
    5. Also, in the interests of getting through these reasonably quickly, I would suggest that you limit the length of each assignment to less that 10 hours of work.
    6. I have been bad about posting stuff in the past and have a lot of stuff that isn't online so base your assignments on what you see in this thread.
    7. Also, while not required, an explanation of why the assignment would be helpful for me would be great too

CURRENT QUESTS

#1: Skarpy's Prismatic Figures - Draw 6 figure sketches: (2) with red pencil, (2) with green and (2) with a usual one. However, sketches have to be thorough (approximately 45 minutes each) with major details and shades, 10 minutes of 30 second or 1 minute warm-up sketches before beginning is required. - Quest reward: Gauntlet of the Tadpole, 50xp

#2: Lyraina and the Eternal Landscape - Focus on landscapes with depth through atmospheric perspective. Draw/paint (10) landscapes, (3) 30 minute rough studies, (3) 1 hour quickies, (3) 2 hour finished works, (1) BOSS: 3+ hour painting, PROVE WHAT YOU LEARNED. - Quest reward: Ranger's Knife, 30gp, 200xp

COMPLETED QUESTS

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Quixotic; October 20th, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A thread where people set each other challenges would be pretty interesting I think your onto something here.

Quixotic is offline ...just leavin' my 2 1/2 cents... Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Lets get this thing going so I can post some related stuff. I always felt that just posting random sketchbook stuff was always a bit egotistical (even though I love looking through other people's) so challenges are an easier way for me to not feel wierd about posting my stuff.

While I may not be much of an artist, I am more than happy to help with MATHEMATICS! I have over 3 years of tutoring experience, and would love to help you out with anything up to and including calculus Also, as a mechanical engineer, if you want feedback on realist sci-fi or other technical critique, let me know, I'm happy to help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What are your trying to improve? You aren't really specific on what you want the assigments to focus on.

EDIT: also, maybe post some sketches or other work, like that people can see which skilllevel you have and give an assigment accordingly. If you can draw quite well already there is no point in giving you an assigment in the line of draw a bunch of cubes and cylinders etc, if you are new to drawing however that would make a good assigment.:p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good point Topcross, I want to improve a pretty broad range of things, and really, I WANT randomness. But I can see what you mean, so I shall provide a smattering of sketches for your perusal.

(Edited original post to make what I want to learn more clear)

While I may not be much of an artist, I am more than happy to help with MATHEMATICS! I have over 3 years of tutoring experience, and would love to help you out with anything up to and including calculus Also, as a mechanical engineer, if you want feedback on realist sci-fi or other technical critique, let me know, I'm happy to help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right here's one then. Look up a couple pictures of landscapes (anything from rivers to mountains, forests, whichever you enjoy drawing most) and make color studies of them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet! I was doing just that before I made this thread! O_O someone's psychic... First one will be done tonight, how many do you want?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's one, meh the colors are eyedroppered, but I learned a few things.

Any advice you guys have on texture? Landscapes are filled with annying amounts of fine detail, and I am NOT painting individual leaves BLEGH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The brain is very good at filling in small details, so there's no need to worry about trying to render out ever single rock or cactus. You might try a few 'scapes in greyscale to more clearly see the textures of certain things and atmospheric perspective. Your last landscape is a tough one since there's not so many large solid forms and everything is very jagged and there's shadows everywhere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I will keep that in mind I may need to choose my references more carefully next time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry Annoyed and happy

..... This may not count as more carefully chosen, but whatever, I learned a lot (AND DIDNT EYEDROPPER THE THE REFERENCE WOOT)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, and yeah I can see some of the flaws in it, but I wanted to submit this before class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope you don't mind if I give these a shot as well ive only done one so far but I plan on doing another tommorw at some point.
    I also did it in pastel rather than on a tablet because im poor and can't afford one.
    I think it turned out good but the scanner messed up the colours a bit.
    Name:  perspective challenge coler study.png
Views: 222
Size:  792.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol, looks like we have opposite problems, you go oversaturated, and I tend to go undersaturated. By the way, the point of a challenge is to have set goals to achieve... So how many studies do you want?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Still need a limit :P

Someone tell me how many of these I must make before I can move onto another challenge. I dont mind making more but not having a target is annoying. Also, I'm trying to not stress about these too much, how long do you guys think a study should take?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I noticed I go a bit over the top with colours ill definetilly try and do two more later but ima bit busy today.
    edit: As a target im going to try and do 5 of these although I might do more.
    also heres 2 pics you might want to try

fixed link http://wallpapers-free.co.uk/backgro...e-Mountans.jpg

Last edited by triggerpigking; March 11th, 2012 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy sigh

This TOOK AN UNREASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME! GAHHH!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried the city one twice but I don't think I got good results its also really hard to get detail with pastels especially when your using the big blocks of it.
    First try
    Name:  perspective challenge coler study 2.png
Views: 196
Size:  817.4 KB
    Second try
    Name:  perspective challenge coler study 1.png
Views: 190
Size:  742.9 KB

I think I might try these again after getting a tablet as ill probably be getting one soon.
    Oh and thanks again for that help with the skulls.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy ANYONE? BULLER?

Well, its not finished, but I gotta keep moving forward, learned a TON, but still, getting tired or these landscapes, someone give me a challenge? Please? Also, I feel that this may be something I should come back to after practicing the fundamentals more, but whatev

LVL UP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Challenge?

Geez guys, you are so good at responding, I WANT A NEW CHALLENGE PLZ

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quest #1: Don't stop posting!

What helped me with landscapes was doing value paintings at first, no colors. And focus on layering your images, try to achieve depth. These links helped me a lot:
    http://www.arthints.com/what-is-atmo...c-perspective/
    http://www.arthints.com/8-benefits-o...c-perspective/

About how long a study should take you: Well, just go on until you think you did your best and got out of the study what you wanted to achieve. No need to over-render a simple composition or value practice!

Quest #2 (repeatable daily for more xp ): Paint three landscapes with clearly separated foreground, middleground and background (or more layers, if you want). Values only, no color.

And for some variation: Quest #3: Anatomy studies. They are important for your first mid term goal, obviously. Since I don't know what level you're on, I can't really go into detail here. But hopefully I can give you a heads up

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Greetings! Fella ex-gamer

Firstly, I want to ask you: what is your attitude towards books? There are really good ones that will be perfect for setting goals/quests (for example, "Figure drawing for all it's worth" by Anrew Loomis).

So here is your task from me:

Do 6 figure sketches: 2 with red pencil, 2 with green and 2 with a usual one. However, sketches have to be thorough(30min to an hour each) with major details and shades.

These are resources where you can find models and other useful stuff: http://lovecastle.org/draw/ , http://artists.pixelovely.com/practi...igure-drawing/

P.S. I think it will be good if you post here what is your current quest and what is your next one, also you can write estimated time of accomplishment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Skapry View Post

P.S. I think it will be good if you post here what is your current quest and what is your next one, also you can write estimated time of accomplishment.
    Great idea! Also adds a bit of extra pressure and commitment, which is certainly appreciated Ok so I do believe I have added 2 distinct quests to the list (I slightly tweaked them, but mostly just added relevant warm-ups and complete-able goals to the requirements):

QUESTS RECIEVED

#1: Skarpy's Prismatic Figures - Draw 6 figure sketches: (2) with red pencil, (2) with green and (2) with a usual one. However, sketches have to be thorough (approximately 45 minutes each) with major details and shades, 10 minutes of 30 second or 1 minute warm-up sketches before beginning is required. - Quest reward: Gauntlet of the Tadpole, 50xp

#2: Lyraina and the Eternal Landscape - Focus on landscapes with depth through atmospheric perspective. Draw/paint (10) landscapes, (3) 30 minute rough studies, (3) 1 hour quickies, (3) 2 hour finished works, (1) BOSS: 3+ hour painting, PROVE WHAT YOU LEARNED. - Quest reward: Ranger's Knife, 30gp, 200xp

P.S. In response to Skarpy, I love books! heck I would say that if I could become a better artist by reading or drawing, I would actually pick reading more often than drawing (of course not every time, but you get the point)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Quest update [nsfw]

QUEST UPDATE:

Skarpy's Prismatic Figures: RED(1/2]) BLACK(0/2) GREEN(0/2)

Name:  BW_2.jpeg
Views: 103
Size:  66.6 KB

Comments: Not super happy with this one, had to wait for the weekend to get the scanner set up again. Felt great to get the pencil moving again. I've been pretty consistent drawing the last few days. Also, I think I'm gonna keep a couple as a backlog. That way I can be certain to give regular updates since I prefer to post the update first, and then move to the drawing. The next couple, I get a bit quicker. (However, I find I am taking longer than 45 minutes, since I'm having so much fun )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Red_1.jpeg
Views: 68
Size:  31.9 KBName:  BW_1.jpeg
Views: 78
Size:  110.6 KBName:  Landscape_1.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  30.4 KB

QUEST UPDATE:

Skarpy's Prismatic Figures: RED(1/2) BLACK(2/2) GREEN(0/2)

Lyraina and the Eternal Landscape: (1/3) 30 minute rough studies, (0/3) 1 hour quickies, (0/3) 2 hour finished works, (0/1) BOSS: 3+ hour painting, PROVE WHAT YOU LEARNED.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Way to go Quixotic!

Really like your figure drawings, they do seem a bit grainy though, perhaps draw them larger.

For the 30 min landscape study you have used some very soft brushes except for the cliff/stone on the left side and the windows of the house. Hard to tell if this is how the reference looks (post refs when possible, helps to tell what is going on), but I think you need to be more conscious of your choice of brushes
    Soft / hard, when do you use what? Also, do not underestimate the power of the selection tool when doing these (Try some big soft brushes along with your selection)

Want another quest?
    Basic shapes! 5 basic greyscale shapes (simple shapes) shaded with the same lighting scenario, followed by the same 5 shapes together, in another lighting scenario. Pay attention to the perspective, cast shadow and values/value change from surface to surface. Mark your light source on the drawing, so its easy to read exactly where the light is intended to come from.

Time limit: none, keep going at them till you are confident they look right.
    Things to check out: Diffuse light/reflection, specular light, http://www.sketchwiki.com/shading/1-2-3-read.php

Note that surface angle change equals value change.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.