Sketchbook: My journey to becoming a better artist

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

My journey to becoming a better artist

Thought I should finally be brave and start a sketch book instead of just browsing through old posts.

Used to draw a lot when I was younger and had not picked up a pencil until recently for over ten years. I used to be quite decent and it is very frustrating now not being able to draw as good as I used to. I just really want to dedicate myself to this again and see how far I can push myself. I have always had a pretty vivid imagination but never the technical skill to execute what was in my mind.

In a lot of ways this is a very exciting journey as I will be consciously making the effort to develop and hone my skills. I am really inspired by all the amazing work on this site but also by so much of what I see on the net. If I can produce one image that looks as stunning as the work of someone like Jason Chan by the time my fingers stop working then it will have been a life well spent. I know that’s a pretty high standard to set but even he had to start from some where so I like to believe anything is possible.

Looking forward to getting peoples feedback and being able to learn from it and get better as that what this is all about. I work full time so I can’t go back to art school as I would love to, but hope I can make decent progress at home working on my art in my spare time. I have already wasted ten years of potential progress and don’t want to waste anymore time.

Anyway enough talking looking forward to all the feedback Ill get and learning from and with you guys out there

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ja1307; October 19th, 2012 at 02:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Hi,

please try to upload smaller pictures in the right direction.

Thanks
    Hi,

a rule of thumb should be, that the picture should fit on your screen without scrolling. To the pictures: They are promising.

Thanks
    Ok so here is some old stuff from my sketchbook, done within the last three months when I started to draw again

Thanks
    this is a copy from a Boris Vallejo painting

Thanks
    And another. I have just picked up a copy of the Loomis figure drawing book and have started doing some studies from there, whilst also trying to do some of my own imaginative figure stuff so will also post that up too

Thanks
    Some more old stuff from my sketchbook

Thanks
    Your sketches look quite nice so far . I'd really work on getting good quality images of your work - just make sure your camera's straight and if I were you I'd crop them so it's just the sketch showing.

Lots of potential - can't wait to see more! Keep it up and don't lose confidence!

Please drop by my sketchbook and help me improve!

Thanks
    Decided to try and do some stuff from my imagination:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtail View Post
    Your sketches look quite nice so far . I'd really work on getting good quality images of your work - just make sure your camera's straight and if I were you I'd crop them so it's just the sketch showing.

Lots of potential - can't wait to see more! Keep it up and don't lose confidence!
    Thanks for the feedback and on reflection I agree I should have cropped the images. Just had a look through your sketchbook, you have some interesting looking stuff going on and the starting point for some interesting looking character design. Be great to see you develop some of your characters a bit more into final pieces in colour.

Thanks
    Some stuff i have been working on over the last two days

Thanks
    Copy of Loomis twisting male

Thanks
    A copy of a painting of red sonja. Need to get used to drawing more female characters thought this would be an interesting way to start, plus really like the film.

Thanks
    Well, given the fact you did not draw for 10 years you are doing great :p i would probably have forgotten how to hold a pencil all together xD keep it up!

♦♦♦ SKETCHBOOK ♦♦♦
    DEVIANTARTSKETCHBLOGTWITTER

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Natalia Soleil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalia Soleil View Post
    Well, given the fact you did not draw for 10 years you are doing great :p i would probably have forgotten how to hold a pencil all together xD keep it up!
    Lol yeah its amazing how quickly you can pick things up again just like the gym. Prob is this time around I am so much more critical espc seeing all the work around on here but its great. At school its easy to draw badly and every one still think your great. its good to be able to judge myself against those much much better and it motivates me to work away and never ever stop again.

Thanks
    Some of those sketches are nice, you have a good eye for proportions but keep drawing through loomis and making anatomy studies. Draw a lot from life also!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Some of those sketches are nice, you have a good eye for proportions but keep drawing through loomis and making anatomy studies. Draw a lot from life also!
    Thanks for the crit, I am surprised to hear you say i have a good eye for proportions as I feel its one of my weakest areas trying to pay a lot of attention to it. your right about drawing from life everyone talks about it , just hard for me to get my head around the idea that drawing still lifes or mundane things around me will help me draw good fantasy art. but i am sure in time it will make sense when i see the improvement so I will just do it

Thanks
    Hey nice stuff I think you should definitely keep doing the life drawings ,Loomis studies and photo studies but always remember to have fun and sketch some of your ideas down .some advice for u is to do some thumbnails or small sketches of characters and landscapes to help you formulate ideas and get them from the imagination to the paper and using references for your own designs to add a degree of realism is a good idea too , keep it up! -Finally an answer to what you were saying about life all fantasy art has its grounding and realism or "life" so things like lighting,textures,materials,perspective,color,etc are all in life so drawing and studying these things can help ground your imaginative works in reality along with studying the fundamentals like anatomy,perspective,color theory and so forth.studying real things can also help u develop your visual memory and help you create better artwork because you know how things work in life. Not sure if all that makes sense but ya Hope it helps

Last edited by blazingdimensions; May 24th, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." Leonardo Da Vinci

My Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3362160

art website:http://calebportfolio.webs.com/

Thanks
    blazingdimensions

thank for stopping by and the detailed advice. yeah totally make sense about studying from life, I am beginning to notice so much more now around me as i am paying more attention. Thats really good advice about getting thumbnails down first and then doing research. I know I try and produce a final drawing too quick without ref and when it sucks i get frustrated and want to move on so I can see how that could help.

Thanks
    Ok so in an attempt to draw more from life and study light and shadow and work on values I decided to draw my kneaded eraser. Not sure how well this was pulled off feel like my rendering gets muddy. Think i need to find a simpler crisper technique.

Second pic is a photo ref of a mediaeval warrior, wanted to look at clothing and folds ect, def going to do some drapery studies and clothing. Also trying to work on my proportions. The hand holding the spear was a bit scary def need to knuckle down to some hand studies and up my work rate big time.

Thanks
    hey thanks for stopping by my sketchbook and for the advice
    i like those last two and btw don't worry about getting stuff done fast right now, you become quicker with more practice.You have really good lines on all your work btw, i need to work on mine definately. the guy seems a little out of proportion but hes nicely drawn and a good idea. good lighting on that kneaded eraser too.do you photograph your sketches or scan em in?-my scanner sucks so i was thinking about photographing mine.

"Art is never finished, only abandoned." Leonardo Da Vinci

My Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3362160

art website:http://calebportfolio.webs.com/

Thanks
    been scanning them mostly, earlier one were photographed which i actually think looks better as the scanner light distorts the tone of the graphite, seems to make the arks just look chalky.

wish the warrior was my idea..just a photo ref copy, I think he is out of proportion too which areas stand out to u?

Thanks
    Re the warrior: his legs definitely look short to me. The thigh is usually two heads high, while the calves are usually 1 and 1/2 heads, with the last 1/2 head being the ankle and foot. Leg length used to give me a little trouble because I always thought I was drawing them too long and overcompensated. I do really like your line quality, though.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to bodied For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bodied thanks for that, I can now see what you mean, I have not really studied anatomical proportions at all. I could see something was wrong just could not tell what exactly so thanks I now know something eles I need to work on.

Gosh so much to learn.

Thanks
    Really like your pencil sketches.

But at the last picture (the first thing) I was thinking about, what you drawed :>
    (After I must read the description and then: "Ahhhhhhh...." xD )

Then I must say, that I love, how you use shading. I'm not good at it

Karpa

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Karpav0li For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some stuff i have been working on over the last few days some okish some just plainly sucks

First pic are figure photo ref studies second and third are figure studies from the imagination and the results are not so good.

Thanks
    The next lot are as follows

portartait of christian bale from American Psycho

Wildlife: wanted to practice drawing fur, fairly pleased with the result

Studies of Michangelo's David

Thanks
    Still try to push the imaginbative stuff

the first is a lame characyter attempt need to do more researchg to get ideas before I do these but seems when i get photo refs i just seem to end up cpoying and more then usimg it to drive my idea . Never used phot refs for imaginative work before i used to think it was cheating before i came on here so it seems to slow down my mental flow some how but i know its needed to bring much much more realism to my work.

The second pic done this eve is a sketch for an idea, twop warriotrs facing off in a seculded bamboo forset, looks so clumsy i know but its get to get the ideas down compositions ect, hope to be abale to come back to this one day and do somthinh with some dramatic ligting to create some atmosphere in teh scne. And create poses that look natural lol.

Thanks
    Looking good! Especially your animal studies. Keep at it!

Freelance Artist Website : http://www.allyalbon.com

Blog : http://allyalbon.wordpress.com/

Black Cat Chronicles : Soul Thief now published
    http://aileenpettigrew.wordpress.com/

34. The Following User Says Thank You to AllyAlbon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    First of all I want to say thanks to asll the people stopping by my sketchbook and those leaving comments. Learning at home has it advanagtages you getto do what you want ect, but its good to get feedback from your peers and words of encourgament are so motivational.

Here are some gesture drawings I have done today. Pickedd up a copy of michael hamptons constructive anantomy and it just seems easier for me to access then bridgeman or loomis altjhough I am now down talking either. hOWEVER on refelection I think Hamptons's apparoach is geared towards life drawing it gives you a way to look at the modelk and think throygh the body and appreaciate the things going on. He stresses building from the insiode out. Been useful for me as i have long been used to seeing the body as a set of contour libes wiythout thinking about all the structures.

Only on chapter one which is all abour gesture drawing and thinking about weight and balance, these drawings are of photo refs of dancers from the net.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6