Sketchbook: My journey to becoming a better artist - Page 7
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: My journey to becoming a better artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Todays life drawings.Did not have my usual A3 paper only my little sketchbook felt restricted. Excuses lol. Need to learn to draw smaller.

Attached Images Attached Images                  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Liked the mccaig studies man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool linework m8 you make me jealous Your figures are definatelly improving keep it up

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,592 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice lines on the life drawing.

Link to the Crystal Palace life drawing http://www.meetup.com/Crystal-Palace...Drawing-Class/. I'm not going to be able to go until the New Year.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweeeet pencil! I see youíre up to some neat work in these #178, #179! I need to start doing those Hampton studies as well. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Nice job with your life drawings. Itís good that you try putting the studies to real use. Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! yes this will help you, keep them coming! lots of them, you need to do like 100-200 before you see an notable result in your lines precision. keep up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jbruno yeah mccaig is a frav of mine not only does he have a great imagination but his line work is so superb it just flows. Always stare at his work with admiration.

dimi thanks buddy, funny I hate my line work but people always seem to think its good. My figures are getting better still so much more improvment needed, but it will come.

Black Spot thansk for the link, thats very very kind of you. I actually found them, a bit more expensive then what I am paying at the mo but could be a good addition. I am not sure either I will get there this year but will def go at some point in the new year. Be good to see you there some time and say hello, put a face to an avatar for once lol.

Greenhouse thanks for returing the favour. I will def keep posting in your sketchbook as I agree a second pair of eyes are invaluable. Glad you like the studies although I somtimes feel like a copy machine but i think things are slowly sinking in. I seem to really respond well to life drawing seems to make sense to me. Need to balance it all out with other areas too.

llex_paul thanks again for the tip. You are spot on vulme at my stage is key and technical aspects will just improve over time. So quantity is def on my mind now.

Just some work from life drawing. Agai pose lengths fro, 1 min to 30 mins.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for dropping by my thread You got some really neat lines as others have said. I have just been through all seven pages here and you have made some great progress. Man, I'm so envious of the life drawing. There's none around here I can make, due to work Faces/Portraits are certainly hard aren't they? Just keep at em'! you are coming a long at a real nice rate. You're working hard.

Also, have some fun with your imagination. That will also improve certain aspects and show you what you are learning and what you need to work on. Have fun Keep plugging!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    respect for constant figure studies, it reminds me that I should get back to it...

any way, if you are drawing for life try to set more complicated one with 5-6 objects with background and strong light for interesting cast shadows

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damien Levs glad you have seen some stuff you like. portraits can be tricky but I really enjoy them too.

takashmen cheers for that piece of advice will do and will try and set up better lighting sources for sure. thanks for looking out.

Update. Progress on my Bargue and an anatomy master study I am working on will be doing more.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ja1307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gesture and anatomy mayhem!!! Im loving it! I like how loose you get those gestures down, i need to get back into that kind of stuff. I remember a while back i learnt most of the muscles and bones and still know them today. Got to finish the puzzle with life drawings and gesture drawings like you are doing! Keep going! You'll get there soon!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Joe777k7 thanks for the encouragement trying to do my best. Yeah its amazing how much of the stuff sticks from the studies. Just got to keep cranking them out and tying to get better overall I guess.

Some more life drawing I know my thread is becoming boring lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry about it, it's good to see the grind! (Would like to see more heads, though.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NougeHeads what are those? LOL no I know what you mean. The longest pose we get is about 30 mins 40 if were really lucky. So I tend to focus on the body as I can do portrait stuff on my own. Although I am clearly not doing that LOL. But will start again. I think I seem to get focused on one area and forget the rest, its pretty hard to keep it all balanced. But thanks for the kick up the butt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Solid gesture work, its cool to see that you're really knuckling down on all the fundamental stuff. Make sure you're doing plenty of sketching from imagination on the side as well, its very easy to get soaked into the habit of persistent studying without stopping to apply what you've learned to your imaginative stuff as well. I look forward to seeing how the Bargue progresses

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JoeS hey buddy. Trust me you don't want to see the imaginative stuff its so bad lol. To be honest my feeling is that there is so much I need to learn about the basics. I would rather learn how to draw propley before trying to throw together ideas as they will just look so shit. Think I need to learn how to draw a convincing tea cup before I can draw other worldly creatures ect well. I will get into more of the imaginative stuff down the line as a I do have a very active imagination. I used to over indulge in it when I was younger and if I had know about studies and fundamentals ect I would have been further on at the point I stopped drawing. But It will come and hopefully it wont be so embarrassing then LOL. But its a valid criticism for sure so thanks again for stopping by and keeping an eye on me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Work on your construction when drawing from life (or always). Start with a fast gesture, draw the parts as boxes and then apply the forms on top. And perhaps don't go for the full figure in those few minute poses, pick a body part and draw just that. I know I had fun doing this and I've learned a lot too ;] I'll try and post a few pages of my sketchbook to show what I'm talking about here. There's no more, because I forget and miss out on all the life drawing here, damn it...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Razz thats a very very useful suggestion to focus on one body part during the shorter poses. Makes a lot of sense rather then trying to rush through the whole figure and not realy learning from it. I agree I do need to apply the construction techniques to my life drawing. Sometimes feel under pressure to get as much information down as quickly as possible and don't go through the correct phases gesture, shapes then contour. So will knuckle down on this for sure.

A quick update with my Bargue progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ė ja! Good work with those life drawings! Not boring at all! Youíre making progress with those studies.
    The only thing I can suggest is to continue practicing on the proportions and the balance in them.
    Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Greenhosue thanks for the tips very useful.Guess proportion will just develop over time the more I work at it. Agree with the balance thing I need to pay more attention the floor and weight distribution of the models.

Realised last week I was really confused when looking at the knees at life drawing. Have never really drawn them before paying any really attention to them. Decided to do some studies before going to my life drawing class from Gottfried Bamme's "Complete Guide to Life Drawing". Its an excellent book.

So here are the results from life drawing trying to apply some of what I have learned, guess it will get better the more I learn also. Used Razz's tip to focus on a body part during shorter poses and its great. Now I can think and look instead of trying to rush to get down as much in the time available. So thanks again for that tip Razz.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey ja1307 thanks for visiting my SB. I'm glad you did because I have enjoyed looking through yours. You have a very nice touch with the pencil and I think it's great that you are trying out oils. Seems to me that you are identifying and targeting your weak spots and then studying to improve which is great. I read someone early suggest that you stop drawing from your imagination until you get better at proportions and anatomy. Have to say I disagree with this. I think you have some great concepts and that you should just keep drawing from your imagination as much as you can. You are right as proportions to get better with mileage and I think you should have a look at reference when you get stuck. That way you will quickly build up your own image library in your imagination and before you know it your proportions and anatomy skills will be better to. I hope this helps to encourage you as I can sense your passion to draw from what I have seen and read. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marian Rowling thanks for returning the favour. It was a pleasure to look through yours too. I feel like I learn something from everybody's sketchbook no matter their level. I am glad you enjoyed going through mine and thanks for the supportive words. Yeah I am pretty passionate about drawing and wanting to improve and this time I will not be stopping.

To be honest I did not stop drawing from my imagination due to the crit. Although I totally understood and can see where the person was coming from. I think there are many approaches to reaching your final goal just depends which one you want to take. I am in no rush to get to the "fun' stuff. To be honest I can't draw something unless I first visualise it in my head and the types of ideas I come up with I know I don't have the right technical skills to realise them on paper. I think as long as I keep coming up with ideas then my imagination wont die and if I do the right studies, in time my technical abilities will catch up and then I can let loose not held back so much by my own inabilities. Also I am not sure I am going to go 100% down the imaginative art root. I have just as much passion for figurative fine arts too. So I think if I spend time building up those skills first they will translate over to my fantasy work when I want to start exploring that. I am glad you can see the potential in my creative ideas and there are many more to come. I just want to be able to draw well first then everything will start taking care of itself in time. Well that's the plan anyway lol.

Really want to start working on my figure construction and combine what I am learning from books and life drawing. Did some figure construction studies from quickposes based upon what I have been learning from Hampton. Did not time them so I could think through what I was doing at my own pace. Have decided to work in pen for a while. I am always so tempted to be so precious about my lines in pencil and spend so much time erasing and correcting. Although clean accurate drawings are important and the ultimate goal, its also important to get the most out of what ever drawing time I have. So want to crank out volume too. The more you do the more you learn.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ja1307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to focus on the lower half of the male figure using construction techniques learnt from Hampton, knee construction from Bammes, anatomy studies and observations from life drawing. Have used photo ref for all these studies. Finally seem over my simple contour copying phase (thanks to everyone who kept pulling me up on this) and even photo's I am studying from as though I am looking at a life model. Thinking about the shapes and key anatomical landmarks and always trying to look underneath the skin and see how everything fits together. Again all done in pen so I can't correct line ect and to keep me loose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Latest studies are great! Can't remember last time I was this excited to see a bunch of dudes' butts. And I agree, these don't look like copies of lines and areas, they are very much 3-dimensional. Good job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work in the three latest posts! I see youíre taking the studies seriously, impressive! The confidence in the lines shows. Thanks for the valuable crit in my sb and for the support! Sorry Iím not so good at giving crit. Iím not very confident at pointing out what others need to work harder on. But hopefully Iíll get better on that matter, considering my support actually can help someone. Keep up the great studies buddy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're working hard i see. And it's paying off! Lovely. (:

No critique because you know what you're doing.

I'll make sure to check back in a while to see your progress.

Adios! ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nouge Lol yeah got to love the butt we all have one so guess we have learn to draw it too. Glad you can see the progress. Feel like something has really clicked in the last few weeks can only put that down to life drawimng. Its great to be able to combine study from books with real world observation looking for those shapes, forms and landmarks ect. These obswervational skills also now translate back to my photo ref study so I am looking at pics as though its a model and trying to rota ethe shapes in space ect see throuugh the forms.

Greenhouse No worries I am always happy to help if I can and will contiune to do so. No worries aboiut crits in your own time, I guess the more you learn the more errors you will se in your own work and methods and others and be able to point these out. Its a good sign.

SwedishMichelangelo thansk for dropping by again, your sketchbok really did open my eyes to construction methods so have to thank you for that. Glad you can also see the progress, somtimes I wonder if I know what I am doing lol. Think I need to mix it up a bit becoming a bit figure focused at the mo.

Update from latest life drawing session starting with one and two min gestures. Had more dynamic models this session which was great for look at lines of force and action and trying to get more dynamism and rhythm into my gestures. Continued my study of the butt LOL to test what I have learned this week and the leg and calf muscles and the knee. Also thought it was high time to do some portrait stuff only had about 10 mins in these. Trying to remember what I have learned about the skull and facial planes (Ill catch up with Ron Leaman one day LOL), so the portraits are not the most naturalistic looking but the learning is there. Making sure I always start figure studies with gesture and some construction still need to do a lot more but it makes proportions a lot easier and I am getting better and seeing how parts line up when the models are posing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some studies from today, copies of more knees from Bamme's and then again applying to photo ref will now move onto another body part to give myself something new to focus on in life drawing next week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More figure studies again working on figure construction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're doing good lately, I love the amount of updates!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10