Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: My journey to becoming a better artist

Thanks
    My first self portrait done from photo, going to be doing a lot more of these. Proportions are off. The distance between my upper lip and nose is too small, pus the eyes look miss aligned. The ears do too but this is the way the look in the pic. Fairly pleased with the outcome and the rendering.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Good work on the self portrait. It can be annoying to tackle the same subject but do some more and keep improving on your mistakes.

I also like your drawing from imagination in post #70. Are you doing these 100% from your imagination?

Thanks
    PerfectGet yeah i plan on doing a lot more of them as faeces are a major major weakness for me. Plus i do enjoy drawing faces when I get down to it. Imaginative pice was pretty much from my mind but based around my understanding of armour and the major design elements of dragons, scales, claws, teeth, horns ect just tried to reflect that on a armour template.

Thanks
    excellent work mate, lets see us both advance together, i can see already your understanding of gestures is slowly improving, which is great ^^ i assume you use posemaniacs.com?

on the first page i love your work on hands, which is something i need to work on too

ill be keeping my eye on your friend

Thanks
    Brave-New-World I used to use posemanicas to start because thats what every one else was using but I ont really like those blobby figures. Looks odd to me. So now I use Quickposes a lot plus net pics, much better for finding pics of athletes, dancers, bodies in motion. Gesture id though for me forces you to be mega analytical which is good but also hard.

Yeah man lets do improve together be fun to see how far we both go be good to learn off each other too.

Hands are tough for me too and lets not even talk about feet but the way I see it i have a life time to get better so no rush.

I will be def keeping an eye on you too, will subscribe to your sketchbook.

Thanks
    On reflection was not very happy with my first self portrait of the eve so wanted to do another, felt the first one was very rushed and messy with the rendering. Again used a photo this time one taken on my digital camera not my iphone so the values were much clearer and easier to pick out.

This update is in 3 stages to show my process partly to remind myself how to work and to get others advice and see if this a good work flow.

1 Construct basic oval head shape try and establish the major shapes of nose, moth eyes and lips and try and get the proportions and placement right.

2 Draw the contour and major details and try and establish the major values with basic rendering, not so hot at this stage all my strokes seem to produce the same tone.

3 Add value and detail working towards a finished drawing..have not finished this pic, spent roughly 2.5 hrs on it (man I am slow) and feel I have learned enough from this study, mostly patience when it comes to rendering.

Thanks
    Nice 2nd self-portrait. Values are awesome as always but I think the proportions may be off (hard to tell w/o actual reference). The eyes should be closer to 1/2 down the face. Thanks for showing the process.

Thanks
    Thats exactly what I was talking about in regards to basic shapes dude. Portrait isn't bad, but your getting there. My professor always tells us to look at portraits in terms of shadow shapes, specifically the shadow of the eye sockets, below the nose, on the upper lip, below the lower lip (that space between lower lip and where your chin begins to protrude), and below the chin. You'd be surprised but if you get good at drawing just those shapes you can get a likeness quite easily without going into tons of detail. But its good to start out with proportions too of course. Keep at it!
    >>Sketchbook<<

Tumblr
    www.adamkootbascomb.com

It's progress, NOT perfection.

Thanks
    PerefectGet thanks for the heads up about the eyes I really had not noticed and although the ref photo does slightly distort the proportions the eyes are further down then I have placed them so will def keep a check on that.

Ghast thnks for stopping by again and letting me know I am on the right track regarding the 3d models. I totaly understand what you mean about focusing on specific areas to create form and a likeness, I do get bogged down with too much detail and its somthing I want to try and change a bit.

Thanks
    Hey Mate Thanks for your comments on my sketchbook. Now I've had a chance to have nosey at yours. I started from the beginning of it and worked my way through. And I'm inspired by your enthusiasm and hard work. And it is very much showing in you later works improving by leaps and bounds! And you remind even an old bloke like me that the journey to artistic mastery is forever ongoing. A tip on drawing portraits (that is if you haven't discovered it yet) is to look at the image in the mirror. Any mis-alignments become obvious straight away. I use this all the time even for poses and foreshortening. Something the brain does when it get "too" focused on the image, is start to not see the errors. With pencil/graphite it easy to rub out and adjust. With acrylics I start out painting the under-study in lightly until it looks right, then I begin to strengthen the elements by increasing the tone of the paint. Anyway, keep working hard, the reward is worth it!

Thanks
    Cammor1 thanks man ill use that tip in the future Its not something I have been doing so far.

Thanks
    Not been able to do a whole heap this weekend have had a lot of crap to deal with. Another self portrait trying to simplify things. Using photos for asll these as i find it strange trying to look in the mirror and draw.

Thanks
    Just one more before bed another portrait study really focusing on the key areas now of shadow and how that defines the face. Really need to work on facial symmetry and eye brow placement and shape.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast