Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: My journey to becoming a better artist

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nor View Post
    Good job man!Keep drawing and you will lvl up in no time.Good luck!
    cheers, just out of curiosity how do the levels work??
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quick update, first 4 pages are some imaginary figures, was trying to capture action and movement and use stick figures to think through my ideas.

The next pic is a life drawing of a stapler

The last pic is a photo ref study of an archer, was trying to practice simplifying real life faces as well as study a bit of the arm and torso.

Thanks
    A quick muscle study from the imagination got lost with the lower legs and forearms.

Thanks
    My really poor attempt at drawing a clothed figure from my imagination, he is meant to be in some kind of medieval like warrior with a animal fur cloak.

I really suck at coming up with design ideas for clothes, not sure if it's because I have not explored this area enough, but I see people coming out with so much crazy looking amour ect and I feel very very shit.

Of course I know life drawing is key to understand materials and the way they interact with the body, but i am a bit lost when it comes to designing clothing especially with details and patterns ect.

Not sure if its best to copy lots of other designs, do lots of photo ref studies of period costumes to try and build up my own mental library when it comes to clothing, or pick and idea and try and get photo refs to design around.

Anyway just another area on my very long list of things I am pretty shit at. And i used to think I was good at drawing lol

Thanks
    One more to post before bed. Was determined that I MUST pull something half decent from my mind before bed and this is the result. He is a dragon warrior (with no face whats new) armour is based around dragon design and hard boney armor plating, spikes on his arms are actually meant to be horn. I will be the first to say the out come is pretty generic, but was a good learning experiencing in terms of designing costume/ armour.

I am slowly learning that it's easier to think in big shapes and this allows for much more design freedom. I quickly run into trouble when I get too focused on contour and details too quickly.
    Last edited by ja1307; June 6th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.

Thanks
    Just another quick update another quick character piece. Fairly pleased with this one although I know the anatomy is off in terms of proportions and the pose is also very stiff. Main focus was to design a Sci Fi/ Fantasy character and concentrate on the design aspect and get ideas down. Will be doing a lot more of these, they are def fun.

Thanks
    keep doing those gestures, they'll help give your imaginative stuff more motion and flow. Also try thinking in terms of basic 3d shapes rather than outlines. Keep at it! Happy improving to you
    >>Sketchbook<<

Tumblr
    www.adamkootbascomb.com

It's progress, NOT perfection.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghast View Post
    keep doing those gestures, they'll help give your imaginative stuff more motion and flow. Also try thinking in terms of basic 3d shapes rather than outlines. Keep at it! Happy improving to you
    Cheers, yeah I know what you mean about the lack of movement in my work, just trying to go for safety at the mo. The gestures are tough but I see how they will pay off in the long run. just got my hands in the Glenn Vilppu DVD's awesome first lecture on gesture. It now beginning to make sense a bit more easier to watch some one demonstrate rather then just read about it makes a lot more sense to me this way.

In terms of 3d shapes i think I know what people mean although i am not 100% not sure how this would show in my work either. I try and use shapes to construct foundations then contour to add detail ect and out line specific areas if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Ever draw an art manequin? Thats pretty much what most people mean by breaking down a form. Literally everything can be broken down into rectangular boxes and/or cylinders. So the limbs would be 2 cylinders/boxes with a ball at the joint. Then work in anatomy after the figure seems solid in terms of shapes. Always be thinking of things in terms of 3 dimensional objects in space rather than a bicep, tricep, forearms, etc
    >>Sketchbook<<

Tumblr
    www.adamkootbascomb.com

It's progress, NOT perfection.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghast View Post
    Ever draw an art manequin? Thats pretty much what most people mean by breaking down a form. Literally everything can be broken down into rectangular boxes and/or cylinders. So the limbs would be 2 cylinders/boxes with a ball at the joint. Then work in anatomy after the figure seems solid in terms of shapes. Always be thinking of things in terms of 3 dimensional objects in space rather than a bicep, tricep, forearms, etc
    Thanks that does make sense yes and is not something I have been doing. Think I have been jumping ahead of my self will focus mainly on this and banging out more gestures too.

Thanks
    Two pages of studies

drapery studies too look at tension folds, can now see how sitting drawing people at coffee shops would be great for this study too.

Then some leg anatomy studies to remind myself of the major muscles in the quads and lower leg. Refed from Hampton and Hogarth.

Thanks
    Nice lovely clean lines! keep going!

Thanks
    Been working on the human figure in 3d forms, had a quick look at Vilppu's approach and Hogarth's for creating a 3d manequin figures. Did a few copies. Now starting to do my own. My approach is to go on quickposes and draw the images only using shapes trying to identify the contours of the forms as well as the line of action withing the spine. I also need to start buckling down and working on portions.

The next stage will be to start drawing photos from quick poses using the 3d construction then contour lines and see if this helps improve my accuracy, the ultimate aim is to be able to start doing this from my own mind and using gesture as the primary basis for working out the poses.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast