Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: My journey to becoming a better artist

Thanks
    I like your faster and messy drawings more then the clean one's
    I am searching for a "Mentor" who will give me some hint's and an ass-kick when I get lazy

NOW or Never --> Last Chance SKETCHBOOK _____ deviantArt _____ CW-Sketchbook(Blog)

Any Question? ---> PM pls
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey ja1307! Thank you for the insightful comments in my sketchbook.

The recent gestures you've done are great. They really communicate the motion and liveliness of the dancers. How far have you gotten in the Loomis and Bridgman books before you started with Hampton? I'm looking into getting my first anatomy book (although I eventually plan to study all three) and was wondering which you would recommend.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectGet View Post
    Hey ja1307! Thank you for the insightful comments in my sketchbook.

The recent gestures you've done are great. They really communicate the motion and liveliness of the dancers. How far have you gotten in the Loomis and Bridgman books before you started with Hampton? I'm looking into getting my first anatomy book (although I eventually plan to study all three) and was wondering which you would recommend.
    Well to be honest I have tried to get into Loomis and Bridgeman but did not know the right approach to take but thats prob due to my own failings rather then the books. (Check out the links left by TinyBird) for me they make a lot of sense. I have just started to reading Bridgemans chapter on hands, and I would def recommend reading through the chapter before making studies for me thats the only way it makes sense. Hampton I like because he focuses on construction approaches which i think i really need to adopt to all of my drawing, plus it makes sense how to apply it to your work.

I would say get a both if you can but i am no exert. Bridgeman definitely has more in depth info then Hampton but I also found Hampton has given me a way to deconstruct and make sense of Bridgeman I say they are all good. But classic texts are always classics for a reason.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ja1307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JiR View Post
    I like your faster and messy drawings more then the clean one's
    Really thats interesting, I also like messy looks to drawings when I see other achieve this look but seem to get to caught up in minute detail and think I end up over doing thongs and making them look a bit dead.

Thanks
    Some gesture drawings from last night, happy with how some turned out not so happy with most, feel like the mannequin figure captured what I was after the most feel like I am getting overly focused on capturing a likeness and losing the energy in the pose prob does not help that these are photo refd, I am sure this exercise works 100 times better when working from life.

Thanks
    Ok so this is the first page of my Bridgman hand studies I am taking a 3 stage approach as follows:

1 after reading the chapter and relevant section copy the original Bridgman line drawing.

2 Redraw the Bridgman study in my own style paying attention to the forms and shapes Bridgman is bringing our attention to with rendering.

3 Redraw the same Bridgman study trying to break it down into basic shapes looking at where they interlock or overlap ect, proportions and masses, and trying to map out some of the basic planes to aid me in thinking about it in a 3 dimensional format.

Not sure how great this methodology will prove to be but be interesting to get peoples thoughts on this.

Thanks
    Really trying to focus on breaking things down into shapes and thinking of forms in 3D rather then contours. Will be doing photo ref studies and life studies of various subject matter and just breaking them down to the essential building blocks

Here is my first example: some horse studies

Thanks
    Here is one from the imagination was really lost with the musculature really need to do some studies, did not even attempt the face as I knew it would be a disaster going to do some separate portrait studies too.

Thanks
    Forgot to add these to the last post, little rough sketch studies for the last centaur drawing, first did a quick gesture of the overall design then quick musculature studies for the torso did not really help need to spend longer at the preparation stage on reflection. But its all good learning.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,240 Times in 800 Posts
    I think that centaur drawing looks pretty cool so far. It also sounds like a great exercise in terms of anatomical study. Break out that Hampton and do some studies on another piece of paper where you try to work out the anatomy based on the pose in your drawing and the information in your books. When you're pretty sure you've got it just the way you want it, go back to the original drawing and sketch in the solution you've come up with. After that, you probably want to do the same for the horse's legs which are looking kinda weird.

Also, do more studies from life! That cup and saucer in post #51 is a great start, but watch your structure - the whole thing is leaning to the right. Get the structure down, then when you think you have it, hold the drawing up to a mirror and see if the symmetry checks out before moving into value.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Thanks Dierat thats some great advice about doing some hampton studies based upon the torso, would never have thought of it but it makes a lot of sense. I agree i do need to work on my structure a lot more too. I will keep plugging away.

Thanks
    Decided to render so,me of the torso of the centaur, pic started getting very muddy and dirty so think I will call it done

Thanks
    Good job man!Keep drawing and you will lvl up in no time.Good luck!

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast