Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: My journey to becoming a better artist

Thanks
    Feel a bit all over the place at the moment almost too much to cover to know what to focus on seem to keep moving from subject to suject, dont feel this is going to ber gtreat in the long term

Have a been drawing a lot and most of it has been utter crap and not worth posting so I think.

Any way been trying to takle stuff with a fair bit of detail to work on proprtions and just increase my confidence in producing dtailed pics with a lot of differenet forms and shapes ect

The first couple of pics are some armour photo ref studies, trying to train myself to see things in basic shapes first then add in the detail seems to be working although Ive notice one side of my pic is alwasys slighly bigger then the other
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Trying to make sure I keep drawing from life as much as possible, well i really need to focus more on this. So decided to draw my converse which actually is pretty tricky for me given the complexity of keep track of the laces proportions and detail so was quite pleased with who this turned out.

Then did an apPle study lit by single light source, tried to work on my values think I rushed my rendering and got a bit confused towards then end. I need to really work on blending, plus experiment with different grade leads rather then just sticking to my traditional safe HB.

Thanks
    Given how badly I draw clothing and folds decided to do some photo ref studies threw in a refd face and a pic of a lizard one day ill draw convincing looking dragons.

Thanks
    This is my one solitary character concept, meant to be some kind of assassin or loan ranger like character, wanted to work on a dynamic pose of sorts. Everything about it sucks but it all reminds me how much I have to learn and where I want to get to

Decided to do a copy of a Daarken character Dwarf Slayer, really wanted to work on my process in tackling detailed complex forms and shapes again, started with basic shapes. Trying to take a construction approach to my drawing rather then diving in head first with all the detail. Overall I am quite please a month ago this would have turned out awful as I would have started detailing a particular area and not payed enough attention to the overall image. I am beginning to think in terms of shapes and this is making things much easier to tackle but still a LONG way to go.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ja1307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, given the fact you did not draw for 10 years you are doing great :p i would probably have forgotten how to hold a pencil all together xD keep it up!
    ♦♦♦ SKETCHBOOK ♦♦♦
    DEVIANTARTSKETCHBLOGTWITTER

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Natalia Soleil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is my first attempt at digital painting decide to do a grey scale value study of the copied dwarf slayer line drawing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalia Soleil View Post
    Well, given the fact you did not draw for 10 years you are doing great :p i would probably have forgotten how to hold a pencil all together xD keep it up!
    Lol yeah its amazing how quickly you can pick things up again just like the gym. Prob is this time around I am so much more critical espc seeing all the work around on here but its great. At school its easy to draw badly and every one still think your great. its good to be able to judge myself against those much much better and it motivates me to work away and never ever stop again.

Thanks
    Some of those sketches are nice, you have a good eye for proportions but keep drawing through loomis and making anatomy studies. Draw a lot from life also!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Some of those sketches are nice, you have a good eye for proportions but keep drawing through loomis and making anatomy studies. Draw a lot from life also!
    Thanks for the crit, I am surprised to hear you say i have a good eye for proportions as I feel its one of my weakest areas trying to pay a lot of attention to it. your right about drawing from life everyone talks about it , just hard for me to get my head around the idea that drawing still lifes or mundane things around me will help me draw good fantasy art. but i am sure in time it will make sense when i see the improvement so I will just do it

Thanks
    Hey nice stuff I think you should definitely keep doing the life drawings ,Loomis studies and photo studies but always remember to have fun and sketch some of your ideas down .some advice for u is to do some thumbnails or small sketches of characters and landscapes to help you formulate ideas and get them from the imagination to the paper and using references for your own designs to add a degree of realism is a good idea too , keep it up! -Finally an answer to what you were saying about life all fantasy art has its grounding and realism or "life" so things like lighting,textures,materials,perspective,color,etc are all in life so drawing and studying these things can help ground your imaginative works in reality along with studying the fundamentals like anatomy,perspective,color theory and so forth.studying real things can also help u develop your visual memory and help you create better artwork because you know how things work in life. Not sure if all that makes sense but ya Hope it helps
    Last edited by blazingdimensions; May 24th, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." Leonardo Da Vinci

My Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3362160

art website:http://calebportfolio.webs.com/

Thanks
    blazingdimensions

thank for stopping by and the detailed advice. yeah totally make sense about studying from life, I am beginning to notice so much more now around me as i am paying more attention. Thats really good advice about getting thumbnails down first and then doing research. I know I try and produce a final drawing too quick without ref and when it sucks i get frustrated and want to move on so I can see how that could help.

Thanks
    Ok so in an attempt to draw more from life and study light and shadow and work on values I decided to draw my kneaded eraser. Not sure how well this was pulled off feel like my rendering gets muddy. Think i need to find a simpler crisper technique.

Second pic is a photo ref of a mediaeval warrior, wanted to look at clothing and folds ect, def going to do some drapery studies and clothing. Also trying to work on my proportions. The hand holding the spear was a bit scary def need to knuckle down to some hand studies and up my work rate big time.

Thanks
    hey thanks for stopping by my sketchbook and for the advice
    i like those last two and btw don't worry about getting stuff done fast right now, you become quicker with more practice.You have really good lines on all your work btw, i need to work on mine definately. the guy seems a little out of proportion but hes nicely drawn and a good idea. good lighting on that kneaded eraser too.do you photograph your sketches or scan em in?-my scanner sucks so i was thinking about photographing mine.
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." Leonardo Da Vinci

My Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3362160

art website:http://calebportfolio.webs.com/

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast