Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: My journey to becoming a better artist

Thanks
    Try to star from more simplest objects, but draw them perfect.
    sketchbook
    my web Looking for a work
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    ooooh, i like your ventures into the human figure and its complexities, tehres aloooooot of fun there, really its just drawing it like crazy until you can... See it? i cant explain it into words, but you are getting there so you must know what i mean, keep at it, and also always try to KNOW where are your weakspots, is it the foot? or the torso, or maybe balance, anyways study your line after you do it and dont feel discouraged if you Think youre not making progress, you ARE its just not showing in your line yet keep on sharing!

Thanks
    Thanks for posting in my sketchbook. I've had a look through yours - you are really improving. Stick at it with the pen, it will feel like second nature and improve your hand / eye co-ord to boot.

It's interesting seeing how you feel about accuracy in your work. I used to the feel the same way but the more I focus on drawing the more I see that simplification is so important. Doing still lifes really taught me that. One other benefit has been a general decrease in stress when I'm not trying to get everything spot on perfect!

Keep plugging away - you're doing well.

Thanks
    tj0ri yeah I know what you mean, I am just forcing myself to do studies that involve them and trying to get loose and not bogged down in trying to be perfect. Trying to look at how they are used in construction of objects and still trying to be quick, but I will do more finished studies where I really try and pay more attention to accuracy.

nifrit Thanks for the useful feed back always trying to improve on accuracy for sure.

lionheartGFX yeah I know what you mean for sure. The figure is so much fun and def what motivates me to draw will def be a big part of my work down the road. I am seeing improvements slowly but want more lol. Line quality I have let go a bit as i became a bit to obsessed. Since most of the poses are fairly short 5-15 mins, no point wasting that time erasing when you only have a short period to capture as much info as possible. Knowledge is what I am chasing at the mo. But I am finding as I do this I am naturally becoming more accurate and less precious and getting more out of every life session. Big thanks for the kind words means a lot for sure glad you can see the progress.

Skill3ss thanks buddy for stopping by. Glad you think I am on the right road. Will be sticking with the pen for a while for sure. Makes me looser and getting more accurate first time off. Remebering hearing Feng Zhu talk about it as a practice to force you to improve accuracy first time off. Speeds you up and will make me much more confiedent when I work in pencil. I totaly know what you mean about chasing clean lines ect being stressful. Since I have stopped doing that I am doing more and learning more as a consequence. Will def add back in more still lifes and wont be stopping any time soon. Having far to much fun.

First off some little studies from around my life drawing class room during the very annoying 25 min break.

Then some studies from hampton concentrating on the legs this week, will supplement this with Bammes too I think. Not trying to be picture perfect with the copies just learn the concepts. Then some life drawing trying to see how much new knowledge I can implement. Its amazing how much more productive a session is when you go with a specific focus.
    Attached Images Attached Images                            

Thanks
    The grind is looking good, nice to see you working through the body. Also, the objects from life are much better in this last update.

Thanks
    Love your pencil line. Keep up drawing!
    "The fulfillment of oneself is achieved with victory over their challenges"
    My thought

My SkEtChBoOk

Thanks
    The studies are coming along nicely mate. Keep them up. You will definitely reap the benefits when you do another rendered piece.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chevy28360 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey Nouge thanks I feel like I am getting more accurate slowly for sure and seeing things better. I think working in pen is helping me just be more confident. So I am just focusing on what I am seeing and less stress about the marks I am making, which in turn is making me more accurate. Funny you would naturally expect the opposite.

Luckarky thanks man I am beginning to quite like them too lol. Still a long way to go but its working and I def wont be stopping so there will be lots more to see.

Chevy28360 Thanks a lot buddy means a lot. Yeah I think you are right. I am really trying to focus in on the body as a 3d constructed object. So looking at planal shifts ect with contour lines. Michael Hampton is really helping. This will help me when rendering the body, I will be able to think about light and value change as planes shift ect. Guess that how you have to approach everything your drawing espc when working from life even photo ref.

More updates from life drawing. Need to get more rhythm back in my gestures and maybe do some longer ones at home, where I can just feel my way through the pose rather then having to rush in 60 seconds. Was good as a starting practice but need more time now to really push those lines of rhythm ect. Been focusing on the legs this week still reading through Hampton and trying to apply. Was a bit of a let down having a very fat model last night lol as you can’t see much anatomical detail under all that fat. But in some ways it also forces you to look really hard and see the insertion points and major masses.
    Attached Images Attached Images                    

Thanks
    wow i am seeing a great amount of improvement! your lines are looking nice!

Thanks
    Hey-ja! Good amount of studies! You’re definitely working hard and the sketches improve every week!
    I think you capture the body mass and getting the 3d feeling really good. I like how confident the lines are becoming.
    Keep up the great work buddy!

Thanks
    From the first posts to these more recent posts, the improvement is really clear and obvious, your forms are so much better! You also seem to have a very good grasp on gestures and how the body contorts and compresses!

Keep going man
    ”I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

My (currently) terrible sketchbook

Thanks
    Your structural work is really lovely, it has a great sculptural feel to it. Everything has a great sense of weight.

Thanks
    Your most recent update looks good. Very tight linework and good suggestion of form. Hampton's book is very helpful isn't it? It's funny to see someone else like me working in pen a lot. It has brought me on leaps and bounds since I started - it seems to have done the same for you.

You should have a look at Ryan Woodward if you haven't already. His gesture drawings are very nice:

http://conteanimated.com/the-figure/

I also enjoyed his animation - "Thought Of You".

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast