C.O.W. #251, 6 legged albino speedster . WIPs

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  cow rules post 200.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  250.3 KB

For more info and details about the rules go here:

http://www.concepyart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #251, 6 legged albino speedster

topic:

ROUND#251, 6 legged albino speedster

After a 2 weeker, its time to speed back up to a 1 week schedule. And what better way then to do a speed related round.

This weeks quick little creature is one of the fastest animals in the world that doesn't fly or swim. because it is naturally an albino, it has developed this quickness to avoid extended periods of time moving over areas where it is exposed to the dangerous sun. the reason it is able to run at such extreme speeds (in excess of 100 mph) is because it has 6 legs to propel it faster than the usual quadruped land speedsters.

The speed and coloring of this creature has earned it the nickname "the white blur".

really try and show speed in your image to show us the fastest creature possible!

Requirements this week.

- the creature must have 6 legs.

- the creature cannot fly or swim. It is only able to move on land.

- the creature this week is an albino. So it can have slight coloring, but it is mostly white.

Deadline:

march 14th 9:00pm PST (GMT -8 )

finals go here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=238351

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First sketch

Hi there, this is my first try at COW, and this are my first sketches for the six legged albinospeedster. Maybe it could be a bit more speedster...

Last edited by GregorKari; March 8th, 2012 at 04:45 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GregorKari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hoping to get an entry in for this one.
    At the moment I'm struggling to design a 6-legged creature that doesn't look like, well, GregorKarl's! Six legs is a lot to fit on one body! =]

Good luck to all!

"Sow an act...reap a habit; Sow a habit...reap a character; Sow a character...reap a destiny."
    My DeviantArt : http://brokenl.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 649 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    sketch...and something for inspiration albino animals
    Name:  6 legged albino speedster copy.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  97.9 KB

Last edited by Rob Powell; March 8th, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dudes, I was thinking about joining this weeks cow, its a pwitty cool topic. Here is my firsty sketch of the six legged animal. The this with this creature is that it will curl itself and roll really fast, I will explain more later.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MightCrawler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, here is a first concept but.. I'm just looking at your concepts and it have similar things that didn't see before, so I'm going to thing in other concept to don't be stealing yours ideas guys, hope you don't mind!.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 419 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I remember tackling the six legged runner a long time ago, could have been COW or something else, don't remember. Either way, a difficult anatomical challenge for sure.

Rob that's one of the best refs I've ever seen. An albino whale?! Awesome. And that giraffe (the second one), one of the most the unique set of markings to ever grace the hide of an animal. Great find dude.

wip 1

Last edited by scorge; March 8th, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some quick thoughts about: Long, lean, it has to exist in a universe with equally fast prey, so a way to snag said prey, or take it down quickly before the 6 legged prey-mobile gets away is gonna be essential. More mass'll make it slower, so it's a stripped to the bone type of animal- though it'll need a ballast, a way to steer at high speeds. Cheetahs have a long tail for such a thing, the animal needs to have more traction then it's counterparts, but big frumpy ass feet'll only get in the way. If it's going 100 mph, something to stabilize might be useful as well. Long stride lengths and since it's a sight-predator, forward facing eyes for binocular vision. It pretty much has to be a sight predator, wind's a major factor in the senses at such a speed. Wind and response time.

Some rough sketches, I like the birdish one, but the long middle legs aren't gonna fly. not unless it wants to do a somersault mid stride. Might be able to outfit with some shorter legs, though. I'm not sure which to go with, or keep playing around the specifics for a few more hours.

Err, scratch a lot of that, since I thought it was hunter-specific, lol. So...uh...6 legs and white go for it.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Junco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just can't figure this out. It makes no sense to me.

If we're assuming that these are physical creatures, not powered by magic or whatever, then they have to follow the laws of physics and possibly the general idea of evolution. So what we know about them: they have legs, they're small, and their bodies are tuned for speed.

But having six legs will make you go slower, not faster!

It comes down to aerodynamics if you're travelling at high speed. You have to trade off weight vs power vs wind resistance. Adding an extra set of limbs makes the body heavier, more complex to control, gives it more surface area and drag, and interferes with the airflow around the trailing limbs.

Having four limbs is a good trade off in terms of biomechanics. With two limbs you can get up to speed but you lose stability and grip - you're more likely to fall and your strength isn't so easily transmitted to the ground to push you forward. With six, you get lots of stability and grip, but there's a huge cost for not much actual speedy benefit. (This is the same reason why birds only have two wings, not four - you only need two to stay in the air, a second pair would add too much weight and not give you much extra speed, and they'd interfere with the airflow around the main pair.)

The far more sensible evolutionary pathway (if you're aiming for speed and nothing else) would be to stick to four limbs and increase their power, while either letting the two extra limbs atrophy, or repurposing them for something else. In this case I'm thinking of just bending the rules somewhat and going with a creature that runs on four limbs, but uses an atrophied third pair for banking at high speed like a cheetah - like Junco said.

So here's my runner. Thank god I don't do this for a living, I'd be fired in a heartbeat for letting my weird scientific notions get in the way of the actual illustration.

Ian Mack says [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][] >

Obligatory Andrew Loomis Link

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calireayn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Calireayn View Post
    I just can't figure this out. It makes no sense to me.
    Calireayn:
    Actually 4 legged animals are faster on land than 2 legged animals. They simply have faster acceleration and faster top speed. E.g. Cheetah

HOWEVER, 2 legged animals (such as ostriches or humans) are far more efficient runners in terms of energy expenditure. Check out this video by David Attenborough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o where a man catches a kudu just by running after it for a long time

But you are absolutely right -- in most cases having 6 legs is inferior to 4 and 2 for locomotion. But there are exceptions!! Like you said having more legs means more stability. In some cases this is very important.

Take insects for example, which have 6 legs. If insects have only 4 or 2 limbs, they'd have a pretty hard time moving around on branches and leaves.

Large animals take advantage of gravity as they move. They lean in the direction of motion and "fall" forward. Smaller animals like insects don't have that luxury and they are easily affected by wind currents. So having more legs for stability and pushing force is beneficial.

=)

I love crits!
    deviantart sketchbook

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bertling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Scorge man you're on fire right now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little changes,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Calireayn, I tend to agree with your line of thinking. This sort of thing gives a bit of cognitive dissonace.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimstitch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Bertling

Yeah, definitely, you are completely right about the efficiency thing. And insects having 6 legs makes perfect sense. I didn't mean that 2 legged beasties are faster, though - I mean, it also makes sense that having less grip means less transfer of power to the ground, so of course cheetahs are faster than people.

What we're being asked for here, though, is plain speed and nothing else - and it has to be faster than a four legged creature, and run over 100mph. That means something like a cheetah but with 6 legs. I just don't think that works.

I think a quadruped runner will out-evolve a hexaped on physics alone. So the hexaped has to mimic the quadruped by only using four limbs to cut down on biological cost vs speed gained, or well, go extinct.

I guess we can draw soon-to-be extinct beasties?

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calireayn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I kind of agree with Calireayn, or at least my concept agrees
    Anyway I think that 2 extra legs could serve as a defense mechanism for a gazelle-like animal.
    If the design is not valid and all 6 legs should be functional for running, please tell me.

Last edited by Firith; March 9th, 2012 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    c'mon guys! Get that logical, scientifically correct nonsense out of your brains and just create something crazy! If you think in terms of logic there is a reason vertebral animals will never evolve 6 limbs, nor will there ever be an arthropod that will grow large enough to reach certain speeds (let alone support it's weight). A little logic is fine but if you think of functionality too much you can limit your own creativity, and your creations become rather boring.

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what Rob said!

nice sketches everyone so far
    awesome comp @ scorge and I have sort of the same dejavu, there were plenty runners and six legged creatures involved into certain COW topics

just a quick idea

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sevira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi all, i'm new to this forum, I hope I can get along with the work

my concept is about 6 legged rabbit.. normally a rabbit can run 30 to 45 mph, but this creature way different. its leg muscles helps it to push even bit further in just one kick, so it can move in a pretty long distance just by one kick.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's my WIP. After a few different directions, this is what I've settled with. Now my main problem is showing speed. Should be interesting.

Nice start Rob and Scorge. Sevira, looking forward to seeing how yours progresses.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToddBushman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Rob

Creativity is all well and good, but we've been asked for a specific thing - a six legged creature that can run faster than the four legged creatures in its area, because 'six legs make it go faster'. The requirements are asking for a specific kind of functionality that makes no sense on its face - having two extra legs does not equal more speed, not if we're following the same laws of physics and assuming a similar kind of biological evolution.

You can have extra legs for other stuff, like stability/grip/etc, of course. But the problem is that, all else being equal, a four legged creature can still run faster because of better aerodynamics, simpler control, less wind resistance. This is just basic biomechanics - legs transfer power to the ground to push a body forward, and the transfer of power is worsened when you take out a chunk of the power from each of the four limbs and put it into an extra two. So the requirements of this COW are mutually exclusive, more or less:

-six limbs
    -all used for running
    -can run faster than the four legged creatures in the environment

The most you can do is two out of three, if we're assuming the laws of physics are the same and evolution still applies.

Yeah, we can just toss all that out and go nuts, but... I can't. I don't work in illustration and there's a reason for that, believe me. I can't draw something unless it makes sense to me. I can't switch off the part of my head that demands internal consistency and logic, even when it comes to magical creatures. And right now, I can't conceive of a body pattern that uses six limbs to run that would result in it moving faster than a body pattern of equal size that uses four legs to run.

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calireayn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Calireayn View Post
    @Rob

Creativity is all well and good, but we've been asked for a specific thing - a six legged creature that can run faster than the four legged creatures in its area, because 'six legs make it go faster'. The requirements are asking for a specific kind of functionality that makes no sense on its face - having two extra legs does not equal more speed, not if we're following the same laws of physics and assuming a similar kind of biological evolution.

You can have extra legs for other stuff, like stability/grip/etc, of course. But the problem is that, all else being equal, a four legged creature can still run faster because of better aerodynamics, simpler control, less wind resistance. This is just basic biomechanics - legs transfer power to the ground to push a body forward, and the transfer of power is worsened when you take out a chunk of the power from each of the four limbs and put it into an extra two. So the requirements of this COW are mutually exclusive, more or less:

-six limbs
    -all used for running
    -can run faster than the four legged creatures in the environment

The most you can do is two out of three, if we're assuming the laws of physics are the same and evolution still applies.

Yeah, we can just toss all that out and go nuts, but... I can't. I don't work in illustration and there's a reason for that, believe me. I can't draw something unless it makes sense to me. I can't switch off the part of my head that demands internal consistency and logic, even when it comes to magical creatures. And right now, I can't conceive of a body pattern that uses six limbs to run that would result in it moving faster than a body pattern of equal size that uses four legs to run.
    I'm with you mate. Yesterday I went to a talk by LucasFilm people (they are pairing up with a local polytechnic and offering a course in VFX), and they said they place equal importance on their characters' looks AND functionality, which of course still follows real world physics.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to kayness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,636 Times in 667 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To Calireayn and anyone else having trouble with the brief;

Having 6 legs and being really fast is in no way mutually exclusive. Remember this is essentially concept art. Your creature does not have to be functioning perfectly; it's your job to make it appear believable.
    Think of popular fantasy/sci-fi films or games. They have all sorts of creatures and/or vehicles that look realistic but require a slight nudge when it comes to technology or biology. The horses in James Camerons "Avatar" have 6 legs as well.

And you don't even have to break any laws of physics. Look for biological adaptations to solve the problem. Extra powerful legs and related musculature, light weight, air sacs, fins/feathers, hollow bones, you name it. Just because we don't have any larger sized 6-legged animals on earth, who's to say you can't design one?

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't done a COW in a long time, thought I'd join in

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest_I For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As a repeat offender and violator of the rules, I should probably not say anything... but
    On the debate, I agree that reaching too far into the fantasy jar can produce stuff that is simply too unebliveable and therefore dismissed.
    Everything has to have some ground in reality for us to buy the concept. The more actual functionality the more impressive the concept, (at least to me).
    now we've been given some restrictions here and its up to us to come up with something that can work within those restrictions.

I was thinking for my part that if something is to have an edge over a quadraped as a 6 legged creature maybe the environment is so harsh and dangerous
    that a creature needs to be able to climb and change directions fast enough (to avoid pitfalls, and falling rocks) in order to survive.
    So at an open course the top speed of a quadraped would still be superior, but in this particular environment, the 6 legged speeder would "win".

Sketch:

Name:  6leggedspeedalbino.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  160.8 KB

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Edward B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The critters of "Avatar" are probably the worst offense when it comes to creature design.

I have a gallery
    Here.
    I try, at least.
    There's nothing in it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The critters of "Avatar" are probably the worst offense when it comes to creature design.

I have a gallery
    Here.
    I try, at least.
    There's nothing in it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis summed up nicely the point I was getting at. Remember that you are designing a creature that does not exist, most likely a good reason for that because based on evolution it is improbible. It is not based on whether the subject in question IS functional, but if it looks functional. That's why having that line of thinking while generating ideas can limit what you can create. Put down your ideas on paper, without thinking of functionality, or correctness, then as you refine those ideas make them look more believable, even though they would still be disfunctional.

Been doing some more sketching, and after looking through some of Barlowe's work I came up with this thingy, probably gonna be using this design. Still gonna make some changes here and there. The feet are definitely the weakest part of the design atm.
    Name:  6 legged albino speedster copy.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  138.8 KB

Last edited by Rob Powell; March 10th, 2012 at 11:24 AM.

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You can be 'practical' and 'creative' at the same time. Nature made the cheetah as the summum of aerodynamics and speed-bursts and humans do that shit while designing cars :p So here's my 6-legged Usain Bolt-cheetah with a spoiler-tale and an intake-->blowout breathing system :p DESIGN FTW.

Last edited by Pixeltuner; March 11th, 2012 at 06:37 AM.
    Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good debate!, but if ILM or LucasFilm' concept designers said than they follow the laws of physics to create believeble creatures, I just can't figure out how can Watto can fly with that big stomach and over weight, and with those too little wings...

also when Lark post the topic, I think that I'll be scaried if I find out a criature like these 6 legged Cockroaches,
    if it will be bigger as a bunny size then I'll be like in the movie....run Lola run. hehe.

Last edited by stridiggio; March 10th, 2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: grammar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been seeing a lot of the same sort of designs so far. Even though I can't participate this round, I would urge people to think outside the box and start getting away from the insectoid-style leg layout. Can one of the pairs of legs have an alternate purpose that makes the creature "fast" without being specifically helping the creature run?

Think much more about the type of environment the creature lives in. For instance, what if the creature is really small and lives in a burrow or tunnel? Nothing says the creature has to be a cheetah. It could very well use its six legs for a short burst of speed to, say, leap out of a tunnel like a trapdoor spider and ensnare nearby prey, etc... just an idea.

A few comments on people's designs so far:

Gregorkari: I love the lizard-like approach, but I think its legs need to in some way help it move quickly, and right now they don't look purposeful in any way (since i'm assuming this creature hunts with its tongue).

Rob Powell: I liked the insectoid feel of your first sketch so much better than the second one. The second one bothers me because there is no sense of continuity between the different parts of the animal. Its head looks like something out of a nightmare, its legs look awkward on it, it's body looks slightly too anorexic and unstable, and the tail looks like a fish tail. There should really be a sense of continuity between its features if you end up pursuing the second design.

MightCrawler: Interesting. I like the rolling idea, but again, its legs should have something to contribute to its movement or else why would it have them in the first place? Just something to think about as you are evolving your design further.

Scorge: Definitely the strongest design so far. I like the sense of weight of the creature, I think the term "speedster" has perhaps led people to design only very sleek and skinny creatures. However as we all know, a charging elephant or rhino is both incredibly swift and a force to be reckoned with and that's the feeling I get from your design. Nice work and I can't wait to see the result.

Junco: Very nice sketches with a lot of flexibility overall. I like the way the creature can change forms by staying close to the ground or rearing up like a cat. Anyway, I love the direction its going and I can't wait to see where it ends up. Before you settle however, try to draw a few different designs and experiment with the placement of the legs.

Firith: Good job thinking outside the box on how the extra legs could be used. Your idea is obviously only half-formed at this point, but continue to brainstorm and the results could be interesting.

Sevira: Cool insectoid design. I especially like the sense of motion you gave your creature and the obvious thought you put into determining how it runs. I think this will be the deciding factor of the round.

ToddBushman: Looking good. I think the legs need to be more spaced-out though, because right now they would definitely bump into each other.

Forrest I: Looks like a six-legged komodo dragon. Not bad, but something needs to make this creature fresh and interesting. Keep up the good work and keep changing and adding to your concept.

Edward B: This is actually really interesting. you and Scorge are looking like the strongest competitors so far. The in-turned feet are cool, and the overall design looks creepy, threatening, and capable of high-speed chasing. Great job so far.

49. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aburnier For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.