Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. #251, 6 legged albino speedster . WIPs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    l'update thingie

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Pixeltuner; March 12th, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
    Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

6-legged critter draft

WIP of my 6-legged albino critter design.

Fun fact: the fastest creature relative to size is the flea! I took that bit of info into consideration for this concept as well as aerodynamic designs of cars and jets, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Obviously you should never disregard reality entirely; just because it's fantasy (or stylized for that matter) doesn't mean you can throw things such as anatomy, functionality and proportion out the window. But it shouldn't limit your ability to come up with interesting designs. So long as it looks like it could work, and people (particularly your clients) believe that it could be real, you've pretty much done a good job.

As usual I was intrigued by the subject and drew up a sketch. By now I'm pretty much notorious for entering COWS and never actually finishing something, so here's hoping I'll get this one done!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Powell View Post
    Tchuk: Nice start although like a few others your leaning a bit towards a generic lizard-like design. Experiment to see how you can improve this.
    Thanks Rob, I also thought that when looking at it. Decided to try looking at some creature design books I have and ended up coming up with a few iterations.

Here's what I have so far though.

Must admit mjy favourite designs so far are, Lhunes,Hekatoncheir and I love the sense of movement in Nickybeats image. Should definitely try to convey that in mine later on.

Very inspiring work so far though

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Tchuk! A word of advice if I may; try to keep your linework clean. There's nothing wrong with a bit of scribbliness, but it's important that your design is legible, not only for other people but for yourself as well!

I like how you gave your design a more unique twist; I recommend looking up references of for example lobsters and crabs for that "armored" look!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lhune Nice start, looks very promissing=)

Tchuk nice design so far.

plastictaxi, nice start. I am just not sure about the perspective. This neck-shield like thing from his head distracts me a bit, it seems like i see it 3/4 from behind and the rest of the body almost from the side...hope you know what i mean

Pixeltuner, thats coming along nicely! Only its pose bothers me a bit, i think it could have more dynamic if the legs are not too parallel (the hind legs are both in the same position and so are the ones in the middle) but thats just personal taste Looking forward to see it finished.

stridiggio Oh my god, you just made my day!!! xD

Nicky, your new one has a awesome sense for movement and nice pose, i think if you work a bit on the design and make it less dog-like it could be really great!!

hekatoncheirAwesome sketches, looking forward to see it progress!!

ToddBushman, i second everything Rob already said I think you have some time left youcould add some more details, maybe some skin texture. Especially the head as main focal area would benefit from some more details.

sevira, looks great, i like it a lot although it scares me somehow Nice rendering!

MightCrawler, your idea reminded me a bit of the armadillo lizard. I think it would help to illustrate your creatures "special ability"

Rob Powell, looking great, really like your design.

Sorry, i cant mention all of you but i am out of time for now, maybe i ll have a bit more time later on

One more quick sketch from today.

11. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mhugo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found this one late, but I guess I can still try to feeneesh on time. It's gonna be kinda crappy though, i'm still green when it comes to art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Concept WIP so far.

Name:  6leggedalbino.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  40.2 KB

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GammaGrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Coloring in progress. I know I could have made a new sketch with a much more interesting perspective and a more complicated background, but I want to try and actually get this done for once.

Critique on the coloring would be most welcome, thanks!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Lhune, I took your advice and decided to go and clean things up a bit. Ended up having to make changes to the design slightly such as where the carapaces are, I looked into crustaceans and decided to try a version of their shells onto my creature and added some whiskers to the creature to give it some personality, as well as some modifications to the legs to give it a more insectoid appearance.

This is the result so far.

Lhune I'd say the thing that seems most prevalent to me on your image is the ammount of blue, it seems like a very cool image and perhaps if you added some red to the sky it might bring the creature to the forefront a bit more as well as achieve some nice colour balance.

As for your Mhugo I'm loving the feel of movement in the image, as well as the camera angle, can't wait to see more.

And Gamma... pretty sure that's going to haunt my nightmares for a few days so good work.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mhugo: Now that you mention it, it looks kind of awkard having the legs in the same stance.. Will fix

About yours: Very dynamic I love it, but it kind of looks like he's tripping over his own legs trying to catch the bug, which is perfectly fine if that's what you're going for

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wip

Some great entries already, very cool to see everyone's approach.
    No time for personal comments/crits, all I can say is great job y'all and finish it!

I figured I should join the fray too, just for the heck of it.
    I'm not sure if I'll finish it, because I've got some deadlines coming up on other stuff, but this is what I've whipped up so far.

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Harmageddon: Cool concept, but very static! The creature is dividing the canvas in two and it's pretty much a straight line. If you're going for dynamic, try to get at least a curve or an S-shape in it's back. Also; is there a particular reason why you went for human-like arms that are rather short compared to the digitigrade hind legs? Not saying it has to make sense but it's worth thinking about, especially if you're planning on making it look dynamic .

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lhune: lol, thanks! I figured the fastest way to get anywhere is a straight line - hence the rather straight line. No reason for the human like arms and digitigrade hindlegs; just scribbling something fast. I'll think about it.

Last edited by Harmageddon; March 12th, 2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: ..forgot bold type
    "...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They travel in the shadow to keep out of the light - running beside 'trains' etc... whateva

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lkjhgfdsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some quick SHORT crits, WITHOUT talking about things that I like in your creatures, order might be a bit random. Will be going for focus on SPEED as this is the mainfocus of this challenge.

Some of this might seem like nitpicking or harsh, but it's all out of good intentions

GregorKari Those kinds of paws/hands reads "gripping branches" and not "RUUUUN!!!"
    Mightcrawler It looks stiff and seems to have lost it's "rolling ability"
    Scorge The tounge makes it more.. alive but makes it look clumsy
    Firith I think you went against what Calireayn said and created something "less energy efficient"
    Edward B The head and limbs feel a bit incoherrent with eachother, like two different creatures put together.
    Pixeltuner It looks more muscular and "buff" compared to "speedy"
    Sevira The head and body feels very different in style, insect/gazelle without something binding them together.
    zy. The legs should be propelling from behind the main-bulk of the creature for max speed, this one would topple over easily
    ToddBushman Same critique as zy.
    warburton Albino!!
    Eclectix Those legs look like deadweight, not stabilizers
    plastictaxi That's some massive body-bulk compared to those skinny legs.
    Lhune The muscles seem off compared to what the limbs are assigned to do: Run as fast as *****
    Tchuk Slick the armor down for speed, this looks rather heavy
    GammaGrey The front legs seem like they have very much weight in the outer joints without having any logical body part to pull (assuming those front-parts are muscles)

And part from that.. I FRIGGIN love alot of the concepts, I won't tell you which ones or why, because that would force me to type more than my finger-stamina allows.

Ps. Also the reason for not pointing out "good parts" is that these pics are still in "w.i.p-states" and in my experience, positive comments: "I really loooove those paws!!!" tend to lock concepts, preventing future evolution of the sketch, more than actual harsh critique.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Abee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Abee: That was on purpose. I modeled him after sprinters who are quite muscular so he can sprint from shadow patch to shadow patch. That said, he might have been a little too buff so I slendered him up just a tad in the legs.

Also slight tweaks on pose of legs.

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 587 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    a little tweaking here and little fixing there, removing very awkward looking sandy mountain things here, adding a few weird rocky things there, may need to fix the cast shadows to match perspective here, need to fix that awkward looking foreground rock there, etc, etc...
    Name:  albino sprinter copy.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  279.1 KB

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

zy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!

My first entry into Cow - so many awesome creatures here

I couldn't stop thinking about cheetahs and greyhounds, so I came up with this.

* Thin skin with virtually no fur in order to facilitate heat dissipation
    * Sensitive to sunlight
    * Blood cools off by exposure to air through the thin skin - which is why it has shades of red
    * Has developed small air ducts just under the skin for added cooling
    * Makes it whistle as it runs - it is locally known as the White Banshee

Last edited by akerman; March 13th, 2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Resizing image

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to akerman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ToddBushman for the encouragement I'm venturing out of my comfort zone!

hekatoncheir-- sweet thumbs! Can't wait to see more! Your lighting looks really dramatic.

I tried to wip something up this evening that was a little more dynamic. But I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I wanted to get a sort of slow shudder speed photography look, but to do that you need a flash, and taking it into the sun rising would mean TWO light sources, which is 2X more than I've ever done, and the values got really complicated. That and I feel like it's a little too purple. Like the planet of the grape

Name:  creature3.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  75.1 KB

Last edited by zy.; March 13th, 2012 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I call it Leorux, and it is the fastest predator. The front two set of legs are joined by one scapula and on it's world it breathes carbon dioxide. After 7 minutes of intense running it has to release the carbon out of its tubes. Sometimes Leorux can run so fast, it has trouble stopping so it uses it's tail which splits into a para shoot to slow down with the wind hitting towards it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rob Powell -- the guy in the shade looks so much better. I now intuit that he's white and in the dark, and not a different color. nice job!

Pixeltuner-- I like it. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but with the red eye the face kinda reminds me of an evil undead albino bunny. Not that I've seen a lot of evil undead albino bunnies to be reminded of, but still. like I said, like it

lkjhgfdsa-- looking pretty awesome. The composition is really cool. It would be nice to see things firmed up a bit, and the values could use some more attention imho, at least in the forground bug I'm seeing a lot of darks and lights where the legs attach to the body, but they seem more like contour rather than cast shadows, esp given the light source.

Really interesting Harmageddon-- does he have steam coming out of his eyes??

Tchuk-- The pose is really nice, love the s-curve. I'm wondering if his front front legs can really fit between his middle legs like that. Just a thought.

Lhune-- What you say about wanting to tackle a more interesting perspective resonates with me. But I do think you're right, there is a lot to be said for getting a good job done. And I'm really liking toe reflection of the blue sky on your creature, and the pink nose and "hooves". Keep it up!

GammaGrey-- Doesn't look like it be very fast, but does look really badass. Can't wait to see more.

Mhugo-- this is pretty cute (sorry if that's a bad thing, I think it's a good thing). Loving the pose, perspective, face…

Thanks for the fun flact plastictaxi-- I'm wondering what all those roundish things are around your creature. Prelude to a scene un-defined?

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zy. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I'm not a professional illustrator and I never will be. Totally happy with that. It's probably for the best if this gives me such problems...

I just can't get past the restrictions. I've looked at it every which way and considered whether it'll work if it was on a high gravity world, or if the creatures were very big or very small - nope. Can't do it. Six legs won't go faster than four, given a creature of equal strength.

HOWEVER.

All of that depends on where exactly the strength is coming from.

Up to this point I've assumed that the power for forward motion has to come from the legs, i.e. the thing has to put one foot in front of the other. It's not allowed to fly or swim. But it's got to go more than 100mph - and that's actually really, really fast. Like, cheetahs can only break about 70mph and they're so highly tuned for speed they're crap at just about everything else. I actually started to doubt that something that moves by putting one foot in front of the other can actually get up to that kind of speed on mechanical strength alone.

So... okay. What if the actual speed was generated by something else, and we're using a rather loose definition of 'running'?

What all that in mind, I came up with this sketchy thing - the albino rocket monster.

It's a silicon based life form with a very weird metabolism that can process fuel from the waste products of its digestive system. When threatened, it jumps, folds its limbs under its body, and blasts outta there at high speed like a rocket sled. All six limbs are needed for stability, steering, and most importantly, to make sure its got enough down force to stop itself from spinning out of control like a Formula 1 car. It can go in excess of 100mph, and yes, it'll go faster than a four legged creature of the same type, because a quadruped rocket beastie lacks the down force to maintain control at high speed.

...This is by far the most convoluted crap I have ever come up with to fill a prompt, but yeah I think it works. Six legs, all used for movement (sort of), faster than a quadruped, faster than 100mph. I'll try to clean it up a bit and color it later.

Ian Mack says [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][] >

Obligatory Andrew Loomis Link

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calireayn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Calireayn: You do realize that that's probably just as if not more unrealistic than a creature using six legs to run fast, right? ^^ I do find the idea of a creature farting it's way out of somewhere to be really amusing, but I don't know if it's following the brief well enough since what your critter does is technically flying.. I can't be the judge of that though.

Lidiev Interesting! Love the idea of the parachute to slow it down haha. I wish the design were a bit more legible, but I'm sure we'll get to see it better once you start working it out.

zy.: Looking pretty cool so far, keep it up! Try not to chop off limbs or draw them too close to the borders of your canvas. It's about the creature design after all; make sure we can see it !

Rob Powell: It's probably a bit too late but I think the two creatures look rather different from one another. I think it's mostly because of the perspective of the one outside; considering that we are quite far away from it, I don't think it should be "distorted" nearly as much, since foreshortening only occurs to that extent when you're close to something. Also, try making the one outside smaller and see what it does

Pixeltuner: I think the main issue with your creature is not it's muscularity per say (though it is overly muscular for a running creature), but the amount of surface that is touching the ground, in other words, the size of it's feet. You could look at racing horses vs working horses. Notice how with racing horses (and the same applies to cheetahs vs other big cats), their feet are relatively small; the less surface is touching the ground, the easier it is to move. Your creature looks like it would stomp down heavily which costs a lot of energy. I hope that helps .

lkjhgfdsa: I think your creature design is really awesome! It doesn't really come off as albino to me, but that's pretty much the only thing I could pick out. I like the train thing; does it move on legs? That is pretty cool, lol.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zy.: Lol, undead albino's ftw.
    Lhune: Excellent observation and explanation, let's see if we can fix that ^_^

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seems to be some inspired designs here, ill save my critiques till later, ive got to get my head around these time zones and make sure i submit on time first .

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M!CK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tweakytweaky

Last edited by Pixeltuner; March 13th, 2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: svpeluung

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok I've tried adding something of a desert background with steam vents dotting the background. I've also adjusted the legs after reading zy's comment, tried making the middle legs fit more capably around the forelegs.

I'm still thinking of adding colour but after about 6 hours of experimentation I'm still struggling to get a good pallette going that doesn't detract from the albinism of the creature. Ah well we'll see how it goes.

Really liking your design M!ck, the joints seems especially well thought out as opposed to ceating two sets of the same joints next to each other.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixeltuner: NOOOO man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pixeltuner: You may really want to look up a couple of quadruped skeletons for those legs; I'm not sure what's going on underneath there if I'm honest.

Not too happy with my own progress. Did brush up on some anatomy which is never bad I guess, but lighting wise I just don't feel like I know what I'm doing at all. Guess more referencing is needed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2