Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 643 Posts

Help capture one of the world's worst war criminals by watching a youtube video

We've all seen out fair share of organisations trying to make a change with no solid path. Even though their intentions are good they usually leave you feeling guilty and unsure of what actions to take. That's definitely not the case with this group: they have a solid and simple plan that we can all take part in.

Hopefully you watch the video and it'll be even better if you check out the website linked in the description. Watching even two minutes of it is better than nothing.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Alas, I have a cap on my data and cannot watch long videos. But more on Mr. Kony here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kony

I have a feeling Uganda's problem runs deeper than Kony, mind you. They're practically a bunch of theocrats already, considering, for example, that they may soon introduce a law providing for the death penalty for homosexuals. In such a culture, it is no surprise that phenomena like Kony might arise, and there is probably little point in catching him - he'll simply be replaced by someone else.

They'll have to address the broader problem.

Thanks
    Yea I saw this. While I think there are plenty of criminals against humanity to go around, keeping US legislature interested in his arrest can't hurt.

But yea they do have deep rooted political issues as well. Those must be solved from within to some degree.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    Yes, the first question is "what were the social and political conditions in Uganda that could give birth to such a monster?"

The second question: "Isn't the maintaining of "domestic tranquility" one of the main reasons that sovereign governments exist?"

Third question: "Given that the Ugandans can't police their own country from such an outrage, what are the possible unintended consequences of tilting the power balance?"

But, America's already on the ground playing World Police, yet again. . .

Thanks
    All of my friends are exploding over this on facebook! It's cool that the video has reached conceptart as well.

Thanks
    Yes, I'm amazed how viral this has become because of one, well made video. Especially given this is just one of many ongoing atrocities against humanity, the rest of which people still ignore.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Beeston For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, I wouldn't go as far as calling "Invisible Children," the activist group producing the video, a "scam," but they are not without their critics-- especially concerning the fact that very little of the money donated to them actually goes "to the children."

I'd say exercise some critical thinking and research before giving these guys any money.

They may well be the "Timothy Treadwell" of mutilated Ugandan children.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The title of this thread basically summarizes everything that is wrong with "activism" today. People watch videos, share links, paste quotes and think they've made a difference. Because that's easy.

The result is that nobody actually does anything in the end, yet everybody feels they've accomplished something by changing their profile picture or whatever.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hotpie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hotpie View Post
    The title of this thread basically summarizes everything that is wrong with "activism" today. People watch videos, share links, paste quotes and think they've made a difference. Because that's easy.

The result is that nobody actually does anything in the end, yet everybody feels they've accomplished something by changing their profile picture or whatever.
    Yea you are actually right. I feel like more often then not these things are made not for Ugandan's benefit, but more for privileged people to give themselves yet another undeserving pat on the back. For free.

Thanks
    Insert Devil's advocate link here.

http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/07/on-kony-2012-2/

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Beeston For This Useful Post:

Thanks

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CLANLESS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    Yea you are actually right. I feel like more often then not these things are made not for Ugandan's benefit, but more for privileged people to give themselves yet another undeserving pat on the back. For free.
    Yes, but that is probably a good thing, as it means there will at least not be well-intended but ultimately disastrous western interventions in the area.

The Ugandans (and Afghans, and Iranians, and Iraqis, and Somalians, and....) must be left alone to solve their own problems.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    Yes, but that is probably a good thing, as it means there will at least not be well-intended but ultimately disastrous western interventions in the area.

The Ugandans (and Afghans, and Iranians, and Iraqis, and Somalians, and....) must be left alone to solve their own problems.
    It's actually a done deal: Obama inserted 100 "Special Ops/Adviser" into Uganda late last year.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamber Parrk View Post
    It's actually a done deal: Obama inserted 100 "Special Ops/Adviser" into Uganda late last year.
    It will end in tears, as usual. :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,376 Times in 1,130 Posts

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by in2eternity View Post
    Yup. This is unfortunately an ever-present danger with activism of any sort: that the organization grows into an ever more bloated bureaucracy that eventually does nothing more than perpetuate its own existence, through whatever means necessary. Before long, it begins to support policies that will make the problem it was supposed to be solving worse (because that provides a reason for its own continuing existence and funding).

Thus an organization like Greenpeace nowadays actively oppose virtually all policies that would lead to an improved environment, animal rights groups are causing the extinction of entire species of animals, anti-drug groups are causing much of the misery associated with drugs, and so on and so forth.

I try not to get on these sorts of bandwagons. The Ugandans are not children and do not need to be saved by heroes waving the stars and stripes. Let them sort the problem out by themselves.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A quote from the visible children blog:
    Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal for an issue which arguably needs action and aid, not awareness, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they lack an external audit committee. But it goes way deeper than that.

Blogmatix, I believe your view on non-profits shifting their motivations a bit. After all they do have some really well paid CEO's.

I was wondering if you have an example of say.. GreenPeace opposing an environmentally sound policy? How would they go through with that? How would they defend it publicly?

I do suspect you are right, so I would just like to see an example.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    Blogmatix, I believe your view on non-profits shifting their motivations a bit. After all they do have some really well paid CEO's.

I was wondering if you have an example of say.. GreenPeace opposing an environmentally sound policy? How would they go through with that? How would they defend it publicly?

I do suspect you are right, so I would just like to see an example.
    I notice there is a whole Wikipedia page of criticism of Greenpeace (though I hasten to add that not everything they stand for is wrong!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Greenpeace

However, much of what they do is either pointless or in some cases even harmful to the environment. They furiously oppose nuclear power, but nuclear power is not remotely as damaging to the environment as coal. They supposedly favour wind energy, but then oppose it when governments try to introduce it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4415787.stm

They pointlessly oppose any and all forms of genetic engineering and commercial farming, but organic farming is frequently more harmful to the environment simply because it is less productive.

They often get in bed with animal rights activists and then oppose such things as trophy hunting - at least here in South Africa, banning trophy hunting would be an absolute disaster for nature conservation.

Etc. etc. Here's more criticism by one of the founders of Greenpeace, who later left the organization:

http://nexus.2012info.ca/forum/showt...-Patrick-Moore

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.03/moore.html

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    What do you mean when you say pointlessly? (as in against all or stating you need to be careful)

Genetic engineering on plants is something you have to be careful of environmental risk, an ecosystem is something you don't fuck with without being absolutely sure.

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/blogs/sci...ng-food-crops/

There's a big difference between organic farming not being fruitful enough and creating plants that are unsafe to both humans or the environment around it. (or one that may EVENTUALLY change into such a thing in further generations)
    Last edited by JFierce; March 9th, 2012 at 04:23 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    What do you mean when you say pointlessly? (as in against all or stating you need to be careful)

Genetic engineering on plants is something you have to be careful of environmental risk, an ecosystem is something you don't fuck with without being absolutely sure.

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/blogs/sci...ng-food-crops/

There's a big difference between organic farming not being fruitful enough and creating plants that are unsafe to both humans or the environment around it. (or one that may EVENTUALLY change into such a thing in further generations)
    Anything and everything carries risks. Nature herself has been doing genetic modification for three and a half billion years, and the world has not yet ended. And there is no clear evidence that GMO food is not safe. As with any new technology, a bit of caution is in order. Hysteria is not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post

I'm no horticulturalist (agriculturalist?), but isn't all farming sort of the definition of effing with an ecosystem? Let me take what naturally occurs, cut it all down, dig it all up, reformulate it, and force it to be something else.

One of my friends raises organic, grassfed cattle. It's safe to say those cows are way more effed with than I think most people would expect. Yeah, they're organic (and delicious!) but they're not what most people would call natural.

All that to say GM food needs to be studied, sure, and commercial farming has tons of issues, but organic food isn't as romantic as lots of people seem to think.

Thanks
    There's a big difference between natural selection and editing it's genetics. Anything and everything could occur from creating new allergins, toxins, plants becoming weed like and invading and disrupting the whole ecosystem, poisoned wildlife etc etc

The field is not well known and contains countless factors to consider. You don't just fuck with the entire planets food supply haphazardly. Especially within a commercial age where companies would love to force/push GE of plants just to raise profits.\

Edit: Good lord I'm getting off track, almost forget this was a post about IC.
    Last edited by JFierce; March 9th, 2012 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks
    A 3-10 year study found no adverse effects in pigs fed GM foods. I see a lot of studies like that.

I haven't really seen a study that found some adverse effects on the other hand. I would like to be pointed to one if such exists?

I have read on top of that that GM foods are easier to grow in harsh climates, are bigger, and can hold more nutrients.

From what I understand a lot of climates are hostile towards agriculture, especially in Africa, so GM foods can be the savior of billions of hungry people.

Thanks
    Charity begins at home.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to onionface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ah whatever it's off topic but I'll continue.

The main issue I have is . Say there's a genetic contamination discovered that wasn't observed. Some serious shit. It's effected the surrounding ecosystem, it's unsafe to the wildlife, unsafe for human consumption. How do you clean it up once it's out there? Hell how do you even contain it? It's in the plants, it's already bred, effected the surroundings and it does travel. Effects can be irreversible unlike a chemical contamination. Or if it is take decades to fix

Btw, not AGAINST it. Just that you have to be careful when messing with the life source of the damn planet.
    Last edited by JFierce; March 9th, 2012 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by manlybrian View Post
    pic
    This.

When I saw the title of the thread, I wondered if the aim was to watch the video and point out any decrepit nazis when they appeared, Where's Waldo style.
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    This is a GM banana:

This is a wild banana:

You've been eating GM bananas, so have your parents, grand parents, great grand parents, the people before them and so on. Long before we even knew what a gene was. You've also been eating GM animals and wearing GM cotton.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by manlybrian View Post
    No. I emailed No 10 a few days ago to ask if they were interested in taking Kony out. I have heard of him before this video.

It's not about the video and supporting them with dosh, it's about lobbying those who can rid the world of vermin one by one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast