Art: DIGITAL - Coloring a black and white picture?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

DIGITAL - Coloring a black and white picture?

I am new to digital painting, beware!

I've read around the net that it is a viable technique to first shade in greyscale to get the values and contrast in harmony and whatnot.

I've been doing that the past two days in paint tool SAI and for the most part I'm really happy with how it is turning out(never shall I dub the watercolor tool as useless), but I was wondering how I would follow up if I wanted to actually color it later?

Advice?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 938 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's a matter of opinion. Without wanting to be too lazy, here is a post I made yesterday on this very topic:

Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    While I am always surprised by the amount of good digital artists who actually paint over their value study with colour and overlay layers, I do not advocate the process myself. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with doing it its a technique choice, but in my opinion its a tedious trial and error practice that does not always bear desirable results. (Desaturated flat colours, etc) again, just my personal choice; I was actually doing it a few years back myself.

The greyscale value study should be just that, a study. Either keep it aside for a reference or paint over it completely. Don't overthink it, get the Gurney book, check out his painting technique and dive right into some colour values.
    I do see quite a few artists, good digital artists, on Imagine FX using the multi-layer overlay/colour method, thats why I wanted to stress this is only my opinion.

By the Gurney book in my post, I was referring to Colour and Light which another poster in that thread had already recommended.

EDIT: Also, please note the sketchbook link in your profile is meant for your sketchbook thread here on CA. NOT for a link to Deviantart. If you hover your cursor about the little sketching emoticon it will say "my CA sketchbook"

Folks here won't be too pleased if they click the sketchbook icon and end up being taken to another website.

Last edited by Star Eater; March 6th, 2012 at 04:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I probably won't be buying that book (since I do not like making online purchases... and I'm broke at the moment). But thank you for your take on this, I will play around with paint tool sai some more and see for myself then. I'll just have to look for coloring tips/trade somewhere else(and hopefully free).

(PS: I've removed the sketchbook link.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 938 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zyl5_ View Post
    I probably won't be buying that book (since I do not like making online purchases... and I'm broke at the moment). But thank you for your take on this, I will play around with paint tool sai some more and see for myself then. I'll just have to look for coloring tips/trade somewhere else(and hopefully free).

(PS: I've removed the sketchbook link.)
    You can feel free to include your DA link as your homepage or in your signature. By all means experiment until you find a method that suits you best. What matters are the results in the end. Just keep in mind that painting over a grayscale using a layers method can be very tricky. Browse the tutorials section of this site and do a search for gray/greyscale values etc, you will definitely find this question has come up before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be honest, I don't think there is a watercoloring method that isn't somewhat tricky. Regardless, thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 3