Sketchbook: OspreySoul's Sketchpad

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

OspreySoul's Sketchpad

Feel free to critique everything posted here to pieces. I would really appreciate any feedback you guys can give. I have a lot of growing up and learning to do!

Attached Images Attached Images                    
    Sketchbook

deviantART

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A bit more work on one of those pieces. I think the girl on the left's head is slightly too big for her body. What do you all think?

Sketchbook

deviantART

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the last picture I think that the main problem is that her legs look to small in comparison to her torso and that in turn makes her head look too big IMO.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, you have a good point!

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Couple of doodles I sketched out the in the past 2 days. Trying to stay loose with my lines. I like how the third one came out. Warning for possible wonky anatomy.

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made some small adjustments- lengthened her legs and shrunk her upper half a little. It feels better to me. The changes were small, but really important. Also, a couple of sketches I drew up last night.

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still fiddling with that doodle. It's starting to become obvious what the subject matter is...

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey amigo, good start to a sketchbook here! I like how clean your final linework is, and i like your ideas and stylization as well. My main critique at this moment is the way you construct your figures, i see you using basic forms for building the figure sometimes, and thats cool, but a lot of your underlying construction is a fuzzy graphite mess! I imagine it can be easy to get lost with all of those conflicting lines while you ink.

My suggestion to you if you havent done so already, is to hunker down and do some in depth anatomy studies to help get rid of any confusion you have when trying to put a figure on paper. Andrew Loomis books are a great place to start if you're in the dark on this kind of thing. You can download PDF files for all of his books here --> http://alexhays.com/loomis/ but i suggest you start with 'Fun with a Pencil' and once you've absorbed its teachings, check out 'Figure drawing for all it's worth' for more in-depth anatomy and construction . His other books are great but not so much for basic teachings. Ultimately once you get through those you'll have a better handle on construction and anatomy and you can upgrade to even more detailed anatomy books by the likes of George Bridgman and so on.

If you already know of those Loomis books and such feel free to ignore that last paragraph, heheh.

Keep it up, i hope to see some more soon!

Last edited by AustenFM; April 3rd, 2012 at 04:06 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AustenFM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AustenFM, thanks so much!
    I actually have a couple of the Loomis books in pdf form, though I don't think I read Fun with a Pencil all the way through. I do swear by Figure Drawing for All It's Worth, though. Really awesome resource.
    My sketchbook is a bit of a mess, and I never do a great job scanning things. I'll have to work on that in the future. The last few pieces are actually digital, though. I noticed I tend to get tense and almost manic when I ink things digitally because I start out a drawing shooting for pixel-perfect lines. With the last few sketches, I've been trying to stay as loose as possible for as long as I can, though I'm going to start cleaning things up once I have all the other figures drawn.
    Thanks for the feedback!

Sketchbook

deviantART

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.