Sketchbook: letīs try It
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: letīs try It

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

letīs try It

So im very very very new at this (actually I am almost 17 years old)
    but Im struggling with the basics so, I will practice undearstanding of space first and will try to increase my mental gallery of images.

so i will start with this frog and tomorrow will make head drawings

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So this is what I drew today, I hope I get better soon, I know its not a lot but
    Im a slow drawer so I think I should practice more gesture drawings
    My goodness all my gesture drawings lack hands!

Name:  head practice.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  207.9 KB

Name:  head practice males.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  231.0 KB

Name:  gesture drawing 30.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  280.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man thanks for dropping by my sketchbook. I really like your frog the highlights give it a nice slimy feel. As for the gestures you've got the overall structure down which is good like you said they don't have hands try to incorporate at least basic hand shapes in. We're young so we have our best years ahead of us so don't worry about improving fast, enjoy the journey and just keep drawing every day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My goodness I draw like a turtle!!! talking about that I believe you improve faster being critical with what you do while you are doing it haha except in gesture because it has to come naturally, but Its ok I think (my gesture drawings suck!)

Also, I made something from imagination, I dont do that a lot (as you see is very frustrating) but i wont give up
    I need to be open to more concepts

comments & critics are appreciated, sugestions
    Name:  ffaces.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  167.3 KB

Name:  gesture.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  150.6 KB

Name:  drawn from imagination.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  155.2 KBtoo (If you want )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see in other sketchbooks that people shadow almost everything they do so I would like to do that as well.. It would be a good practice because as you see Im still a little afraid of color and painting haha these days I will concentrate in features and finally I will start with color (wich is something I handle in horrible way >,.<)

so.. everyone is welcome! right now Im practicing smiles, They are a pain!

Name:  girl smiling.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  142.1 KB

Name:  loomis plane.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  226.9 KB

Name:  smiles.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  40.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for visiting my sketchbook, firstly I'm not sure if you're sketches are scanned or computer done, if there computer done I'd recommend doing them traditionally for more control and to be able to see progress easier. Secondly I think you should do more finished figure drawings rather than only gestures. Good work so far anyways and I love the rendering on the first frog, keep it up.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to will123will For This Useful Post:

Zol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The frog really is nice. I like your faces, but the mouths are somehow a bit strange sometimes. That's not a big help, sry. I'm at your age but not as good as you - at least at sketches. I might subscribe soon if I find your next few posts usefull.

have fun

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Prototypt' For This Useful Post:

Zol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some nice work here! I particularly like the 2nd post, The expressions are fantastic!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ArulaSky For This Useful Post:

Zol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much to say... I really couldnīt draw a single thing in the entire week
    Its a shame! but today I did some works... Im also taking a composition class and Its amazing what pros do in their work! I hope to get like that some day
    I think that I should make more studies and not just gesture, I also believe that I should start with color I definitely suck at color (as you can see in the toothpaste thing) but after 3 months of gray scale painting I think Im a little better....

will123will-those are computer done, I have some traditional works too but I cant post them (I dont have a scanner or camera) I will also try to do more studies! thank you!

Prototypt-I hope you find my sketchbook helpful in the next weeks! you are really good too! and yeah.. The next thing Im going to practice are mouths, specially smiles

ArulaSky-Thankyou! I hope to get better! I saw your work and its very promising!

Name:  day again.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  71.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually like how the toothpaste came out.

And I like the second face in this image: http://attachments.conceptart.org/fo...4&d=1331073131

I have no good advice or critique. I am not good at giving advice/critique anyway.
    But keep doing what you are doing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KONM For This Useful Post:

Zol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I need help! If you are watching my sketchbook and you are advanced please give me advice in color... Im reading this site right now http://www.huevaluechroma.com

and also Ive been reading bridgmanīs book on the shadow and light topic
    This image its my first attempt at drawing a portrait in color (It is really horrible!) It seems like If I was afraid of choosing more saturated colors
    Iīve been told that you should start with grayscale and that was ok until now
    I feel a little dissapointed I think I should practice A LOT more now

Also.... I donīt really know a lot of excercises besides gesture, drawing from life, interpret form with basic things in perspective, anatomy studies, etc
    so If you know about some excercise feel free to post them

KONM-well thank you! giving your opinion its enough for someone like me!

Name:  head practice.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  38.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to concept art ^^. I love your digital faces and quick human sketches.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jellyswirl For This Useful Post:

Zol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your training in grayscale pays!! The values are very good, espacially at the last one, but at your faces in generall too. With the colour, you are right, it's just less saturated. That doesn't make it look bad at all, it just gives it a different look. I find these look like they were drawn hundreds of years ago, looking at the colour at least. Of course they had very saturated images too, but alot looked just like these. They had different reasons at that time (material cost, ...) but I think they invented some sort of a style with that. What I'm currently talking is nothing I learned. I'm just guessing and telling my opinion. No facts here

So basicly your colour is good! Just - and thats no critic - it isn't as saturated as it is in all that games-art for example. Maybe you just got to try out a bit. I'm sure you will soon get a feeling for it.

I don't know how you colour your work above right now, but maybe this will help:
    Do your standart grayscale value sketch, then on a new layer add the colour. To make it work you'd have to set it to "blendingmode colour". I know this isn't the very best technique, but by doing so you can very quickly change the colours in your picture without influencing the values. This is what I would try first if I was at your point. I really can't tell if this is usefull, you maybe just got to try it out.

I like how your sb develops It's a good contrast to me I think, I allways want to start with colours and mess up the values in the end. Maybe we could learn from each other. I'm personally looking into the more saturated part, if it fits my intentions at least.

Have fun

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Prototypt' For This Useful Post:

Zol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jellyswirl- thank you! I will keep doing sketches from time to time!

Prototypt'-Woa your comment made me think a lot, I think you are right, If I keep trying I will get the thing at some point, I believe Im a little afraid of saturated colors actually, Im really glad my sketchbook is helping you besides you are my age so Its pleasant to talk to you about struggle...
    I hope we can help each other too... I will try that blending option any time soon
    Thank you so much for your time!

Well as you can see today is the crappy day haha -.-
    the first one are studies with limited time (20 min) I tried that for the first time and wasnīt very satisfied with it I feel ashamed but I will put It here anyway because this is for learning... from now on I will extend my studies to 2 hours... so no more 20min

as you can see in the second one the first features are in color and they have a plastic feeling I dont know why so I would be glad If you could help me anyway I will keep the practice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I might be able to help with that plastic bit.. I'd like to recommend experimenting with your brushes a bit more. It seems like you just use the default hard and airbrush, but custom brushes can be powerful tools--not only can they help speed up workflow (although that's a dangerous road), they aid in compensating for the very controlled, very clean work of computers. Since custom brushes can randomize things a bit, they add life and dither to pictures.
    I don't know what your Photoshop level is (or if you're even using Photoshop, really!), but here's a link to ctrl + paint's archive section..they have a few tuts on custom brushes which seem pretty good. Other than that, google around, and maybe check your favorite digital artists' websites to see if they offer their brushsets as downloads. Borrowing from others can be a great way to witness the variety in custom brushes.
    Custom brushes are powerful tools, and fun to use - try experimenting!

Anyway, you've got good dedication in your studies here. Don't be afraid of color! You're doing great.

Draw from life, draw from your head, and if you ever see something and think "that'd be scary to draw!" or have any similar experiences, try drawing it! Revealing your weak spots to yourself is how you'll know where you need to put your time in to improve.

Keep it up!

My sketchbook - come critique me!
    jesse martel@tumblr

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseM For This Useful Post:

Zol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

for the plastic look: You can either use a custom/textured brush as JesseM mentioned, or try splattering some spots of colour on the face, so it looks like it's textured. Of course the colour got to fit the skin and may only slightly vary from the normal colour.

I tried this with one of the faces. Do you notice that there are some harder edges between the colours on the skin? This way it gets a more rough feeling. I marked the important parts in red. Try not to blend everything too perfectly, thats how the plastic look is created. Maybe try using the hard brush to blend some parts of the skin. I had problems with that at the beginning, and was alot thinking about it. So that's what I came out with. Again this is what I teached myself, musn't be 100% correct

Oh and btw: can u see that colour seam i marked red in your picture? If not, maybe your monitor isn't too good with colours. That may be another reason why you think your drawings are not enough saturated. I just got that idea when I looked on my second monitor (very cheap one, only for office use maybe ) and couldnt see it.

I hope you are fine with me editing your picture.

Keep going

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JesseM-first let me say thank you for taking your time! you are right I normaly use just those two brushes you mentioned I saw your work and you are right! maybe that is just what I need! I know I dont have to abuse of custom brushes but I will give It a try in the next few weeks, It will take a time for me to adapt to them tough haha thank you for the advice! I dont know If Im even at a certain level on photoshop haha! I will try experimenting!
    well weak spots would be hands feet and color but I think I will start with portraits first
    Thank you again! thank you very much!

Prototypt'-I think I may have a cheap monitor / : (but I can see what you mean)
    yeah you are right I try to blend absolutely everithing and that is wrong, because sometimes shadows are like, really rough!
    I have no problems with someone editing my picture,
    especially someone who is trying at his best for helping me XD
    thankyou thankyou thankyou for taking your time!

well right now I have my hands full of projects from school (they are really difficult to make) first we have to make a videoclip (but not a normal one a professional looking one) It is killing me! Its very hard to make but It is fun at the same time haha...so here are some sketches some old some not that old
    I will try the texture thing little by little...

Name:  whatever.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  70.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You may be doing this now going by the female body you last posted, but I thought I would say it anyway. Using darker colours for the shadows would create a much more dynamic contrast and bring your pictures into the 3D realm where they really jump out if the screen/page.

My comics website - Blurred Lines

My Sketchbook

My email

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest doing a lot of head studies in b&w! You struggle with proportion and constructing the head. Your eyes often aren't placed correctly which is why I'm inclined to believe that you start with rendering straight ahead without making any outlines or sketches first.
    Please try to get the proportions right first before jumping into details.
    I can see a lot of potential in some of these so keep working hard!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, where are my custom brush experiments? I was excited to see what you came up with!

The torso in your last post is, obviously, very good, but my favorite are the gestures. They're energetic and have good proportions. Nice work!

My sketchbook - come critique me!
    jesse martel@tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im finally able to draw again!
    right now Im on a painting course that is being really helpfull
    Im also trying to make traditional art to experiment with colors, but as you know I dont have a scanner

I would really like to buy myself some good color pencils but right now I cant afford them haha! that is why I will stick with my old pastels for a while
    I would really like to be able to paint colorfull things!

so... here are some studies of the torso and the back
    a portrait without using the soft brush on photoshop...
    a creepy angel that i tryied to make from imagination(but it didnt work out) It gives me the creeps!
    the body of a woman I didnt get to finish
    and a wierd disfunctional palette I tried to make... I really dont have an idea of what to do when it comes to color

Edward74_yes I believe you are right! being critical While you are doing it!

third-bear_in reality there is a lot of contrast but im not still confident enough with colors to make use of it! thank you

Xelar_thank you so much! I will make those excercises! I think that you are right! I should be more aware of space... I hope the improvement to come with practice

JesseM_I havent had much time for digital right now but I will sure get those brushes to work, Ive heard that those brushes are more comon on landscapes
    and backgrounds! im really afraid of doing them but i will hopefully give it a try Thank you so much!
    Name:  angel.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  103.7 KB

Name:  chinese woman.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  89.1 KB

Name:  torso and back studies.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  472.0 KB

Name:  pai.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  color.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  52.9 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.