rhinotaur
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: rhinotaur

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

rhinotaur

Hi guys, this is my first post on CA. Just wanted to put some feelers out there and see what people think of my stuff. I'm having doubts as to whether I should pursue a career as an illustrator/concept artist, or just keep this as a hobby. At thirty four I still lack the confidence to apply for art jobs. I keep telling myself that I'll send off my portfolio one day, but I'm never satisfied with it. Being self taught I never really get feedback or validation from tutors or peers, so I'm craving a critique at the moment. Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The first thing that jumps at me is the value structure. You've got a very bright highlight on the rhino's head, and a matching one on the girl's face - but the girl is lit from a different angle, and there are no such highlights on the rest of the rhino's body or the girl's costume.

I have a suspicion that you've lifted the rhino's head from a photo, and didn't quite manage to match the lighting on the rest of the picture.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ferret42

Firstly, I really like your concept, it's quite original! Really great detail on this image and your lighting is really tight too, good job!

If I may make a some suggestions,

-The image as a whole is a bit monochrome, a bit like a sepia photo.

-Your extreme darks on the rhino head are inconsistent with the rest of he recesses (darken the area arouen his crotch)

-Pay more attention to your woman's face: since the rhino is hyper realism, it looks odd next to him.

-Her spear and spear tip need attention, they look a little blurry.

-Consider increasing the contrast on her armour to define the form a bit better.

-Pay close attention to her hand and glove area, they need to be painted to a higher degree. I like to take photos of my own hands as reference.

-The chain seems to lose gravity towards her hand, it's all in how you draw the curve, right now it looks like it's floating.

-Consider adding rim lights to the edge of the rhinotaur's dark shoulder?

Really great detail on this image. These are small things that I think could take this painting to the next level.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GabrieleGabba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys. Arenhaus, you have a keen eye, I used a photo reference for the rhino's head as I wanted it to look as realistic as possible (now I see it's a bit obvious), but I couldn't quite match that quality with the rest of the picture. It looked better at earlier stages of the painting, the values were much lighter and it had a dusty quality to it which I quite liked, but when it came to painting the girl I messed up the values by making her too dark and ended up darkening up the shadows on the rhino to compensate. Venger, thanks so much for the link it looks really helpful, I have a feeling I will spend a lot of time there. GabrieleGabba, thanks for all the advice, I agree with all of the points you've made. The chain in particular was a real bummer to paint, well I've got a new tablet on it's way so I will soon try to address all the errors in this piece. Thanks so much for the time you've taken to comment, it means a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agree with other reviewers, plus I'd like to add that I think the Rhino's anatomy seems a bit strange, especially his lack of chest/belly, accentuated by his leg being too far forward... it looks like it's almost right beside her, but that wouldn't make sense, it should be much farther back.... just a thought. Great idea, good execution, keep working at it!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Conejo Blanco For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    First thing jumps out at me is the fact that she's got a runway model walk that looks weird with a man/Rhino in tow.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dig the idea. It could use a bit of polish in some areas. Maybe sharper edges to create focal areas. The monochrome isn't too troublesome for me because its got that desert sandy feel. You should get your portfolio out there as often as possible. If you've got a thick skin and a desire to improve, you can't lose.

Please Sir, I'd like some more.

www.rogersewardart.com

Facebook

Twitter

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I would start a sketchbook here. In addition to the problems already noted, there are numerous tangents between the figures and edge of canvas.

If you are interested in developing further I would highly recommmend Jim Gurney's book, "Imaginitve Realism". An excellent primer on illustration and concept art. Good luck!

Last edited by JeffX99; March 7th, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rseward View Post
    I dig the idea. It could use a bit of polish in some areas. Maybe sharper edges to create focal areas. The monochrome isn't too troublesome for me because its got that desert sandy feel. You should get your portfolio out there as often as possible. If you've got a thick skin and a desire to improve, you can't lose.
    Thanks Roger, I was going for a dusty desert effect. My skin is becoming thick as rhino hide.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    I would start a sketchbook here. In addition to the problems already noted, there are numerous tangents between the figures and edge of canvas.

If you are interested in developing further I would highly recommmend Jim Gurney's book, "Imaginitve Realism". An excellent primer on illustration and concept art. Good luck!
    Thanks Jeff, I read Jim Gurney's book on light and colour, it was really helpful and inspiring, so maybe I'll purchase imaginative realism some time soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.