Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

I admit I feel intimidated.

I'm pretty much still a newb here, and it's stupid but I feel intimidated being here. When I first stumbled upon this site, I felt I wasn't sure I would fit in. It wasn't until now that I'd come over and see if I can learn and improve, since I've been stuck with the same problems for a few years and I haven't been able to improve on them, so I thought I'd come here for extra help.

I admit I'm scared. I'm not going to say anyone here is a bad or mean person (because you all seem like very, very nice folk who just want to see a struggling artist succeed no matter how hard he runs his hand through the grinder), it's just that when I see all the fancy and amazing art in the forums and sketchbooks and I look at my own skill level, I feel uneasy.

Oh, don't worry. I don't expect anyone to hold my hand, or anyone to beat around the bush (I'm sure if I'm doing something wrong you'll tell me up front), of course I'm going to accept crits and take it like a man, I'm just not sure what to expect. But I suppose this sort of feeling might just be normal.

I hope I'm not being a bother by posting this, I just wanted to be honest here and talk about it. Has anyone here also been in my shoes too when they first came here? Any advice you can give me to help me calm myself down?
    Last edited by BrockenDynamite; March 5th, 2012 at 11:19 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,526 Times in 2,458 Posts
    "I admit I'm scared."

ha me too, but fear is a great motivator. use it and it becomes your friend.
    the work gets done, you learn a lot and move on.

the other thing is away from work, when youre drawing for your own enjoyment, you are the king of your universe and dont need to fear anything except boring yourself.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What Velocity said. Let your fear motivate you.
    Minimal art went nowhere. - Sol LeWitt

DA

Thanks
    I used to be scared but then one day I was like "ready....set...POST!" Then I posted everything everywhere and nothing bad happened.

*shrugs* You don't have to be afraid. If you're a reasonable person the worst that could happen is someone could say something pretty stupid to you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 747 Posts
    Good. That means you're paying attention and you can appreciate how good some of the posters here are. You can measure the gulf between your work and theirs. That gives you a fighting chance to get where you want to go.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    In my best Walter Brennan voice,

People have it so easy nowadays posting and getting feedback on the internet. One of my workshop teachers would walk around with a big rag and if he saw something he didn't like on your painting he would wipe it down without asking and make you start over no matter how far you were into the painting. Getting a critique over the internet is nothing compared to that.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the kind words so far. I'll try what I can to have courage.

Another reason why I feel uncertain and intimidated is because what I'd like to be someday, if I manage to get that far, is a graphic novelist or someone who can pitch ideas for animated cartoons, since my desire is to express my imagination and entertain. However, my main style is an anime-influenced artstyle with a very slight westernish twist, although I admit I really need to branch out with it and experiment to further mold it into something satisfactory for me. It's the style I'm most comfortable with.

Thing is, I have troubles with quite a few situations; hands, feet, perspective, angles and at times even poses with flow and correct anatomy, as well as a number of other subjects I never have touched upon yet (such as doing much more advanced digital coloring than the simple cell-shading style stuff I usually do, and complex objects like cars or robots just to name a couple). It's quite a laundry list. I don't know if the kind of thing I want to roll with is accepted in a place like this despite what I want to be, so... yeah, that was another reason why I was somewhat shaken.

I have no problems with doing it, but is it required to experiment with other mediums of drawing to get anywhere with your artwork? Just wanting to know, since there's still quite a lot I don't know about.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Browse around in the Sketchbooks section. You'll find that, whatever your skill level, there are lots of other folks in the same boat.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrockenDynamite View Post
    Thanks for the kind words so far. I'll try what I can to have courage.

Another reason why I feel uncertain and intimidated is because what I'd like to be someday, if I manage to get that far, is a graphic novelist or someone who can pitch ideas for animated cartoons, since my desire is to express my imagination and entertain. However, my main style is an anime-influenced artstyle with a very slight westernish twist, although I admit I really need to branch out with it and and experiment to further mold it into something satisfactory for me. It's the style I'm most comfortable with.

Thing is, I have troubles with quite a few situations; hands, feet, perspective, angles and at times even poses with flow and correct anatomy, as well as a number of other subjects I never have touched upon yet (such as doing much more advanced digital coloring than the simple cell-shading style stuff I usually do, and complex objects like cars or robots just to name a couple). It's quite a laundry list. I don't know if the kind of thing I want to roll with is accepted in a place like this despite what I want to be, so... yeah, that was another reason why I was somewhat shaken.

I have no problems with doing it, but is it required to experiment with other mediums of drawing to get anywhere with your artwork? Just wanting to know, since there's still quite a lot I don't know about.
    As I mentioned to you, forget about 'style' for now. Focusing on a style, specifically anime (and I have nothing against anime itself) is only going to hold you back at this stage. Don't overthink this whole thing. We have not even seen any of your pencil work yet. Put paper to pencil and show us what you can do, that's all you need for now. By your own admittance the stuff you need to focus on are the basics. Do some studies, draw yourself, the people around you, household objects.

But just draw!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    Fear cuts deeper than swords.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Heck, I've been here a while and I STILL feel intimidated to post my work here sometimes.. (I mean, some of the stuff in the FF section blows my mind. Nowhere near that level yet.) But the upside of it all is that no one here really seems to be judgmental about "bad" beginner art.. They all started somewhere, too, and know how hard that can be. That being said, if you're genuinely trying to improve and keep a good attitude about it, most people here are very willing to help nudge you in the right direction -- you just have to get over your fear of being "bad".

Thanks

Thanks
    Fear is a slow death for any kind of creativity...

Doesn`t do you any good and there is no point in it. Nobody started out doing good professional work. All the top professionals drew shitty at the beginning...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Used to be intimidated but then I've seen improvement since I started a SB awhile back. Just that fact eases the mind. You'll always see others SB and think "Damn, why can't I reach that point?!" but then you'll see others and think "Oh I remember being at that point".

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    "I admit I'm scared."

ha me too, but fear is a great motivator. use it and it becomes your friend.
    Brother you speak like true Jedi

M

Thanks
    but i smell like a Sith
    as scott richeson says, there is no do, only try

Thanks
    Yoda says "Do, or do not. There is no try."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Frank Oz says 'Do or do not, there is no try.'

25. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    All right, OP, now that we've established that we're not going to eat you outright, it's time to start a sketchbook and cough up some comics.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    If you're interested in comics, maybe try some of the P.O.W. Challenges in the community activities forum... It's a fun way to practice and exchange crits and feedback with like-minded people. Very laid back, too.
    Last edited by QueenGwenevere; March 5th, 2012 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Stupid mobile device...

Thanks

Feeling not so intimidated now.

Right, thanks everyone. I feel less afraid of the place, especially when you bring up that there's artists here who have started out like me at one point. I'm not expecting to become an equivalent to, say, Shinkiro or anyone similar, but I want to get good enough to be able to draw and/or color a competent comic or artwork and pass off as pro enough eventually.

Anyways, I opened my sketchbook some time ago, but I've only posted a few things so far and it was quickly buried, but that's alright. I'll try to update it weekly, since I've also got other projects on the backburner that I need to complete. Sketchbook should show up in my signature or so. Sorry if I haven't shown much yet, but I hope to get around to experimenting with things with some time.

Really, thanks. I definitely hope to improve to a better degree.
    Last edited by BrockenDynamite; March 6th, 2012 at 07:07 AM.

Thanks

Art & Fear

2 good books: Art & Fear, The Courage to Create.

Yes, you know it doesn't really end, if you do it right, there will always be things to feel intimidated about - that means you are on your cutting edge, that means you are where you are suppose to be.

If you don't feel this somewhere in your present life, then you should really worry!

~M

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    In my best Walter Brennan voice,

People have it so easy nowadays posting and getting feedback on the internet. One of my workshop teachers would walk around with a big rag and if he saw something he didn't like on your painting he would wipe it down without asking and make you start over no matter how far you were into the painting. Getting a critique over the internet is nothing compared to that.
    I don't understand what you want to get across, dpaint.
    The fact that critique on the internet is painless, makes it harder, not easier. Rather than having to start all over because your teacher ripped it apart, you are left with nothing but self-discipline and the hope that what people like you* post on CA arrives at ones brain in the most productive manner.

*professionals

Thanks
    I felt exactly same way when I first started my art classes but after awhile i realized I'm that good. Don't compare yourself to others...know your weakness and strengths and most important. dont ever compare yourself to others, it will pull you down
    Nothing is ever too late unless someone is dead

Thanks
    Why are you scared? this is a forum, not an intimidating party.
    If you are scared of pixels on the screen, then I don't want to know what you must be afraid of in real life.

Thanks
    If you're shy about your work-- don't be. Everyone has to start somewhere, and there's plenty of people in the same boat as you.
    And, if you're shy about the people and their occasional, heh-- directness-- just come at things the way you have in this post: with humbleness. CA folks love to badger an arrogant person, but they can also be very supportive.
    Good luck and happy posting!
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    Dallas Comicon - 1994 (age 15).

My first major comic con. Internet wasn't really even a common thing yet (at least not in my small town). I liked the draw monsters and big titted chicks (so what? I was 15, deal with it). I didn't even know what the term "sequential art" meant.

So I brought my drawings of monsters and big titted chicks around the convention and show them to any professional artist that would look at them.

Most said the same thing "These look real nice, kid!". I now know that these were the people with lines and honestly didn't have the time to explain to me what I was doing wrong. These were the people in the "top 10" of Wizard: The Guide To Comics and stuff, so naturally I idolized them.

But being age 15, I was just starting to get into darker, more mature comics as well and so I started walking around to some of the independent publishers' tables. The first one I stopped at, I don't even remember the guys' name to be quite honest. But I remember what he said to me...

"Soooo....are you a kid or an adult?".
    And I said..."uh...a kid I guess?"

"These look real nice, kid! Keep up the good work", he said.
    So I asked him why he asked me that question...if I was an adult or not.

And he said "Because a kid can't take critique, but if you are an adult, I will tell you what I actually think of these".

So I said..."well...then I'm an adult. I don't want you to lie."

"They seriously fucking suck, man.", he said...with the straightest face I had ever seen.

I felt like I had just been kicked in the nuts. No one had ever told me that I sucked. "I like this kid at school's art better", maybe, but not "sucked".

After he said that, he went into great detail about WHY they sucked. What ai received next was my first REAL critique.

"These are all stiff. Anatomy issues are everywhere and it's so bad that I can't even begin. You need to study harder on that. There's no sequentials...do you want to draw in comics? Then tell me the story, I don't want to see splash pages with no backgrounds. Your females all have huge tits that look like orbs. I get it, but you need to look at how breasts hang...I'm sure you will not have a problem looking at that reference. Stop reading comics, for fuck's sake. Yes, I know I sell comics, but you are taking all of the wrong things from comic artists. Your monsters?....actually not bad, but you can't make a living only drawing monsters. Get as good at everything else as you are at drawing monsters.

I walked away with tears pooling up, my dreams crushed, my heart beating fast, and a SEVERE hatred for that guy.

Then I realized...oh yeah. He asked me. He tried to protect me and tried to make sure I was ready. I asked for it and he told me, honestly, what I needed to do to get better. And here it is almost 19 years later that I remember EVERY WORD. I almost feel like I could relive the entire experience in my head if I closed my eyes....except his name. That much I don't remember. But he PROFOUNDLY affected me. Between that guy and my parents, they were the start of it all. They are why I am typing this today.

And I did everything he said and while I'm not there yet (and never will be), I will say I am a MASTER of thick skin now. Do you think if you ever "make it", the internet at large won't destroy and pick apart everything you do? Please, art directors are nothing compared to teenagers on forums.

It takes a serious mental adjustment to handle that critique. But it's absolutely essential to GET OVER IT or let your tears pool up like a kid.

It's your choice.
    Last edited by Dusty; March 8th, 2012 at 03:23 PM.

35. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Dallas Comicon - 1994 (age 15).

My first major comic con. Internet wasn't really even a common thing yet (at least not in my small town). I liked the draw monsters and big titted chicks (so what? I was 14, deal with it). I didn't even know what the term "sequential art" meant.

So I brought my drawings of monsters and big titted chicks around the convention and show them to any professional artist that would look at them.

Most said the same thing "These look real nice, kid!". I now know that these were the people with lines and honestly didn't have the time to explain to me what I was doing wrong. These were the people in the "top 10" of Wizard: The Guide To Comics and stuff, so naturally I idolized them.

But being age 14, I was just starting to get into darker, more mature comics as well and so I started walking around to some of the independent publishers' tables. The first one I stopped at, I don't even remember the guys' name to be quite honest. But I remember what he said to me...

"Soooo....are you a kid or an adult?".
    And I said..."uh...a kid I guess?"

"These look real nice, kid! Keep up the good work", he said.
    So I asked him why he asked me that question...if I was an adult or not.

And he said "Because a kid can't take critique, but if you are an adult, I will tell you what I actually think of these".

So I said..."well...then I'm an adult. I don't want you to lie."

"They seriously fucking suck, man.", he said...with the straightest face I had ever seen.

I felt like I had just been kicked in the nuts. No one had ever told me that I sucked. "I like this kid at school's art better", maybe, but not "sucked".

After he said that, he went into great detail about WHY they sucked. What ai received next was my first REAL critique.

"These are all stiff. Anatomy issues are everywhere and it's so bad that I can't even begin. You need to study harder on that. There's no sequentials...do you want to draw in comics? Then tell me the story, I don't want to see splash pages with no backgrounds. Your females all have huge tits that look like orbs. I get it, but you need to look at how breasts hang...I'm sure you will not have a problem looking at that reference. Stop reading comics, for fuck's sake. Yes, I know I sell comics, but you are taking all of the wrong things from comic artists. Your monsters?....actually not bad, but you can't make a living only drawing monsters. Get as good at everything else as you are at drawing monsters.

I walked away with tears pooling up, my dreams crushed, my heart beating fast, and a SEVERE hatred for that guy.

Then I realized...oh yeah. He asked me. He tried to protect me and tried to make sure I was ready. I asked for it and he told me, honestly, what I needed to do to get better. And here it is almost 19 years later that I remember EVERY WORD. I almost feel like I could relive the entire experience in my head if I closed my eyes....except his name. That much I don't remember. But he PROFOUNDLY affected me. Between that guy and my parents, they were the start of it all. They are why I am typing this today.

And I did everything he said and while I'm not there yet (and never will be), I will say I am a MASTER of thick skin now. Do you think if you ever "make it", the internet at large won't destroy and pick apart everything you do? Please, art directors are nothing compared to teenagers on forums.

It takes a serious mental adjustment to handle that critique. But it's absolutely essential to GET OVER IT or let your tears pool up like a kid.

It's your choice.
    Wow thanks for that, made my day

37. The Following User Says Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    ... It's your choice.
    My tears pooled up after reading this. (:

Thanks
    @ Dusty -- same thing happened to me. I didn't hit up my first comic con until my early 20's, but I did grow up with a comic shop around the corner from my house. Like a lot of kids, I found myself enthralled with the world of comics, and decided to proudly show off my comic drawings to the owner of the store.

I don't know that he was necessarily trying to be 'truthful' so much as he wasn't all that well versed in the social graces when dealing with ambitious 10 year olds, but he flat out told me "your anatomy SUCKS!" (Again, that word, haha.) Anyway, as you can imagine, I was heart broken-- but those words kept bouncing around my skull for pretty much the rest of my life, and somehow I ended up developing a bit of a complex and ultimately devoted a ton of time to learning about anatomy. I'm no expert now or anything, but I do a decent job, and I think I single handedly have that 'comic book guy' to thank for it.
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast