Criticism appreciated

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Criticism appreciated

Hello! I have two pictures that are in serious need of feedback, any criticism would be great.
    Criticism appreciated

Criticism appreciated

On both of these I'm having a lot of trouble with the coloring especially, so if anyone has any advice on how to improve that and anything else that needs to be improved it would be a huge help, thank you in advance!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of soft edges. Dreamy. (I love dreamy)
    1st pic.
    - I like the hard edge on the cheek/hair. Perhaps add more harder/sharper, even if it's subtle on their eyes.
    -her shoulder/bicep values are a bit dark. On purpose? Skin birth mark?

2nd pic.
    -the bears could be cleaned up a bit more, as well as the girl's blend into them
    (Re:the bears. Reference if you have to and setup the same lighting - For a quick study )
    -her lower leg is way too long? my foot touches my butt when I'm in that position.
    -the cityscape; I like the soft sky and hardy buildings. It's a nice effect.
    I suppose it's always a balance thing, ey. With the second piece. Decide which one will
    dominate the whole composition. The comfort zone, or the red city.
    I reckon crop it to the left a bit more, just to move her a little further into the picture.
    -I'd definitely give the red city only 20% of the canvas, but keep that red creeping into the window. nice nice.

Dreamy. Yes yes.
    /v

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vardoburrito For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your feedback!!

Criticism appreciated
    I tried to fix the dark shading on her biceps and I sharpened up her eyes a little bit, though it's barely visible.

Criticism appreciated

Also tried to clean this one up. I'm going to keep trying to fix up both of these, if anyone has any other advice they'd like to give that would be awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick mess around. I've probably introduced more things to clutter your brain with. Sorry Just take what you can, and if it even makes sense at all. Brainstorming.

-extended the canvas, to the rule of thirds, i think
    -took out a few of her shadows - she kind of radiates like a bulb. She must have a strict exfoliation process.
    -tried to put some interest in-between the walls. Even if it's a clay structure, there's got to be some kind of frame. - Or just replace it with some kind of metaphor/representation related to the story. But again, make it so it doesn't take too much focus.
    -I don't know how to frame my illustrations, as of yet. Mostly from the edges - I will have to study more and from all sources. I suppose with this one, it'd be children's book illustrations, and how the illustrators frame and lead the eye in.
    -the floor and how the wall bends (almost like a dome) has me perplexed.
    -the petals can circle back and lead the eye back into the room. I tried to get the buildings to do a bit of it, but ugh! I've run out of ideas. edit: on second look, the buildings (fore and back) are almost tangent, doh!
    -The middle bear; the giant leg bothers me, but again, my brain isn't switched on this lunch time. I would do a quick block in of the shape and posture, just to compliment her dreamy/Goku-san flower power state.
    -The little bear, still not sure. Looking at her? or a little bit more head turned towards the window.
    -some texture work on the floor to keep the eye floating around, perhaps?

out of time, gaahh!

-Are these crops? or are both part of a gigantic Photoshop file?
    They both work for me. But it would be nice to have a larger feel to them also (:

Did I mention I like the dreamy feels! Nice nice

7. The Following User Says Thank You to vardoburrito For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aa thank you so much for your feedback and the paintover, you are awesome!

Criticism appreciated

This is what I've got so far, still trying to figure out what to do for that wall.

Last edited by floatinganimeheads; March 9th, 2012 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking better and better (: The red scenery is stealing quite a bit of attention. As you can see I've desaturated the colour value a bit, as well as making her stick out more by increasing the contrast between dark and light. The red sky should also shine upon the teddies in the room, making the colors blend a bit more.

You also might want to try with a bit of an angle on the wall. When it's vertically, and seperating to strong colors, it might be mistaken for being two paintings instead of just one.

I'd like to see more of this, it's has great story to it (;

My sketchbook - please have a look ( :

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tebio For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.