Following
    @jessibean: thanks for the comment

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thx Jessie, good to see you doing a chow again. Looking sharp as always.

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gadbury - awesome colours and dramatic pose.

Pixeltuner - I really like yours, I'm amazed at how fast you can work.

Psiren:

Name:  sirenWIP1.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  150.4 KB

Name:  sirenWIP2.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  160.7 KB

I had an idea where the light would reflect a beautiful woman and the darker areas, more monster-like. Still thinking through the application...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucassie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lucassie: I'm not sure why you should be amazed, I've had a week to do this :p

On another note, if this is gonna be a two weeker I'd better see a maxed out poll next sunday with tons of fantastic entries..

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work everybody. Here is my first rough sketch

hope I can do this in time

ChoW#280 :: The Siren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeltuner View Post
    Lucassie: I'm not sure why you should be amazed, I've had a week to do this :p

On another note, if this is gonna be a two weeker I'd better see a maxed out poll next sunday with tons of fantastic entries..
    Yeah, I feel like since there is an extended deadline I might have a go to stave off boredom, though I don't have any instant ideas for this'un .
    I try not to argue with the mods every time I disagree with a decision, but there were a whole bunch of people saying "No thanks" to two weekers, and none saying "yes please", yet the deadline was still extended.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BAREFOOT: I'm not sure of other personal circumstances, but I work 60 hours a week, so two weeks does not feel especially long for me. Considering that there are other community activities to enter as well.
    Having said that though, I don't mind a week deadline, it just means I contribute less frequently.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Yeah, I feel like since there is an extended deadline I might have a go to stave off boredom, though I don't have any instant ideas for this'un .
    I try not to argue with the mods every time I disagree with a decision, but there were a whole bunch of people saying "No thanks" to two weekers, and none saying "yes please", yet the deadline was still extended.
    The deadline was only extended this week due to a large number of unfinished entries. However it will return to single week tasks next week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since I dropped my Wacom pencil on the floor, and my new one wont arrive in a few days, I'm just playing around with reference pictures at the moment. But I think I will go for a "Siren as the wave" concept.

I have no intention of becoming a professional artist, I just aspire to become a really good amateur.

Sketchbook: w176 love of the color dirt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the extra week.

I found a couple of passages in the Siren Wiki that just inspired me much more than what I was working on.

Not sure about keeping the wings...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update! Was stuck for quite some time, but this starts feeling somewhat better. Lots to do still so I'm happy with this being a two-weeker.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to do9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @w176
    Good mix between the ref pix. It can be really cool if you can keep the energy from the girl and the wave.
    @Noro
    Storytelling sketch. At this point, it looks like she supports his body weight on her right arm. I think you should have a clear rock closer to her to rest her hand on or let her rise of the water without the rock and let her left shoulder higher then the her right.
    @Lucassie
    cool idea. looking forward at seeing you get on with it
    @ded
    Great progress. Keep on rendering it out.
    @JessiBean
    Looking great as always. Very nice to se you go from the line drawing to the black and withe. It is interesting to see how you work.
    @cacakhan
    Nice. I wold stay with the color scheme and composition and render out more. Maybe have some more of the sky colors in the water particularly near the horizon.
    @Ironbyte
    I like the overall scene and the composition. At this point I think it can be helpful to have some nice refs on anatomy to get the body real precise.
    do9
    I love the idea

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bit of an update on this one

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gadbury For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the extension is appreciated this time around, but i really should get used to working under a shorter deadline D: looking great in here guys! some standouts are gadbury, pixeltuner, pxelslayer, jessibean, and a bunch of others. hoping to see even more awesome stuff in the finals

heres where I'm at atm. been doing a lot of minor color tweaking and i think i like where its at. ON TO DETAILING!!!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was in Maui back in the day doing some snorkeling with a girl i was seeing at the time. I don't think she was expecting to see so much sealife, because she caught a glimpse of a small octopus she lost her damn mind. When I say small, i mean like 10 inches long... like sushi small.

She scratched and clawed at me trying to get out of the water. She ended up causing mass hysteria among the other snorkelers because they all thought it was some serious shit like a shark in the area. The most vivid part of the whole situation for me was the Siren like screech she let out when she reached the shoreline. Awesome.

Some nice work from people so far.

23. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bnoch For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Caught in a Bad Romance

Maybe there is not enough focus on the character.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JessiBean very nice design.

Bnoch great dynamics in composition. would like to see this pushed to a further finish level.

The challenges could be held on a rotating basis as far as extra time and requirements. Three one week assignments, one two-week, three one week, etc. with two week challenges requiring a full illustration focusing on the character in an environment as well as additional rules such as 2-3 characters within the image as well as turnarounds for each. ie: this topic where the sirens are always depicted as being in number of 2-3 and though they should be very similar or at very least have unifying aspects to their design also be distinctly individual, such as twin sisters who look alike and dress similar yet not the same.

Last edited by Blankstate; March 12th, 2012 at 05:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blankstate View Post
    JessiBean very nice design.

Bnoch great dynamics in composition. would like to see this pushed to a further finish level.

The challenges could be held on a rotating basis as far as extra time and requirements. Three one week assignments, one two-week, three one week, etc. with two week challenges requiring a full illustration focusing on the character in an environment as well as additional rules such as 2-3 characters within the image as well as turnarounds for each. ie: this topic where the sirens are always depicted as being in number of 2-3 and though they should be very similar or at very least have unifying aspects to their design also be distinctly individual, such as twin sisters who look alike and dress similar yet not the same.
    We already have a Illustration Of The Week challenge.. Best to not blur the lines even further than they already are.

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixeltuner Curious as to what constitutes your opinion of what an illustration is. The one week challenges could have a request that backgrounds/storytelling elements be kept to a minimum but are fine so long as the basic character sheet is provided.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does that even matter? This is a character design challenge, and that's where the focus should be imo. The actual design of it, not a fancy background or other distracting things. The multiple characters for a 2 week challenge would only make sense if you were to design a group of characters like a gang or such.
    And seeing that people are having a hard time doing that basic thing already in one week I'm not sure two-week challenges with extra requirements will be an asset to the output of chow.

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bnoch Thats really cool man, i love how you keep your concepts prity loose yet they feel finished. Also, i like all that bird shit on the rock in the background, nice touch ;p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixeltuner That's what I'm suggesting, that 2 week challenges (either alternately rotated or reserved for special events/topics) have multiple characters as a requirement. You yourself have done a nice illustrative image for this challenge but the design is a little plain. Complete with a floating skull to show narrative that isn't inherent in the characters design. So how can you say it doesn't matter? Is your image a design or an illustration? or is it both?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Blankstate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blankstate View Post
    Pixeltuner That's what I'm suggesting, that 2 week challenges (either alternately rotated or reserved for special events/topics) have multiple characters as a requirement. You yourself have done a nice illustrative image for this challenge but the design is a little plain. Complete with a floating skull to show narrative that isn't inherent in the characters design. So how can you say it doesn't matter? Is your image a design or an illustration? or is it both?
    Because I'm a fraud and I treat these things opposed to what I believe they should be. Chows are essentially popularity contests and who makes the nicest 'illustration' wins most of the time. And it makes for a nice portfolio piece.

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Eofn View Post
    The deadline was only extended this week due to a large number of unfinished entries. However it will return to single week tasks next week.
    Oh, I didn't realise, sorry for jumping to conclusions and being a little sarky

@blankslate, we all have our opinions, and it just seems that at this point more people have an opinion that is in disagreement with yours, rather than agreement.
    also, to be honest, Pixeltuner is right in that very rarely will a 'better' piece of art lose to a 'worse' piece of art, sometimes regardless of the actual design, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a popularity contest though.

Last edited by Barefoot; March 12th, 2012 at 12:10 PM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what happens if someone win the challenge?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by faq1988 View Post
    what happens if someone win the challenge?
    The ghost of Ed McMahon shows up at your door with a camera crew and a giant-sized novelty check for $100,000. Or something like that...

Now on to shooting my stupid mouth off.

Ded: I love what you have there. It's freaky and awesome and also sells the evil singing aspect of the creature.

Bnoch: Really cool. But what I like best so far is actually the environment - it really takes me to the seashore.

Lancer: Great stuff. Love the lighting.

Gadbury: Frazettesque in it's moody, brushy approach. Gorgeous.

JanJager: Yours might be the most original design IMO. Painted beautifully. I love those fleshy orifices (oh, how many times a day does that get said?)

Do9: I like the concept, but I think it needs more focus ATM.

Ironbyte: Good beginning. I like the wings for composition purposes. I'd keep them from going too angelic, though.

w176: Cool concept.

Noro: Not hugely original, but a good solid drawing so far.

Lucassie: Great rendering so far, but I don't see much of a character design yet?

As for my crap, here's what I've got so far. I was going for a "this is the last thing a sailor sees before that vaguely female creature lured him into the drink and bit his face off" sort of vibe.

The extra week gives me an opportunity to decide whether or not to hold up this piece for public ridicule, or to offer something else equally ridiculous. Decisions, decisions....

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Smolin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been watching randomly what's going on in chow for years, but it's first time i'm posting anything

so...
    I've got inspired by this little beauty
    first sketch
    and then
    however i'm thinking about changing color palette in this direction (but not so dark hm)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wip4+5

Very nice work so far everyone.

I'm not sure which way I want to go. I drew out a head shot with the top one but I thought it was distracting from the whole figure. At the same time this is a character design challenge and It doesn't really matter much as long as I get the idea across.

Bottom one crops the character in closer. Shows my details off more unlike the top one where you tend to look at the face. Good thing I got everything on layers. Maybe I could put the face back on in the character sheet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys. This is colored version so far. Still tons to do.

great work everyone, and thanks for comments and feedback!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3