Ringling vs. SVA vs. UArts vs. MICA

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Ringling vs. SVA vs. UArts vs. MICA

Hi, I need some advice on choosing a school.
    I recently got accepted from Ringling, SVA, UArts and MICA for computer animiation.
    My top priority is Ringling and SVA-Ringling because no.1 animation program and better job opportunity, SVA because of surroundings
    But UArts and MICA have offered me $10k scholarship a year so 40k$ total.
    I know UArts and MICA are good art schools but I'm not sure if one of them are the best choice for computer animation.

and for between SVA and Ringling, which one you guys would choose?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UArts and MICA aren't bad schools, but neither have particularly good animation programs. Both Ringling and SVA are good programs; I think the biggest factor is deciding between them should be whether you'd rather live in Sarasota or NYC. Manhattan is a great source of inspiration for some people, and overwhelming and exhausting for others. Beyond that, the largest advantage of Ringling is that it's a more selective program, and as such, on average, has more skilled and dedicated students, while the largest advantage of SVA is that the program is more flexible, and more (all?) of their teachers are currently working in the industry.

Also, I wouldn't put much weight on 3d World's ranking of animation schools. Their standards for judgement (how many student films are shown in festivals) are only tangentially related to the actual quality of the education.

Last edited by Meloncov; March 4th, 2012 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do you know if its true that ringling has higher ratio of getting hired after graduation? On the other hand as you said, if professors in SVA are currently working for the industry, that's an advantage for the students in terms of networking..which can help them with finding jobs..right?? Omg I'm so confused...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with what Meloncov said. I visited Ringling and from what they tell me, about 90-95% of their graduates get hired within six months of completing the program. Of course, that's due in part to a particularly challenging atmosphere which weeds out students who don't put in the time and effort, so the talent is very concentrated. I don't think you need to worry about not networking if you aren't in NYC - lots of studios visit both schools. Search for demo reels from graduates of both schools and see which ones you are most impressed by.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't put too much weight on statistics about how many students are employed for a couple reasons. One, they're very easy to manipulate (count working in a copyshop as an "art industry job" is one classic), and two, Ringling has a big advantage because they're more selective about who they accept. It doesn't necessarily mean that you, personally, are any more or less likely to get a job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's true! only my portfolio will depend that. thanks a lot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know how accurate the stats are, but job placement for the CA major is quite good. Most of the graduates I know, even from last year, are currently working in some film, game, or commercial studio. Ringling is an incredibly workplace oriented school, almost to the point where it becomes like a vocational school in ways. The program design is focused on preparing you for the industry/workplace - even the strict attendance policy reflects that. A lot of people from Ringling find that the workplace is a lot like school only easier/better/and or/happier. Oh, and we get tons of recruiters who come all the way out to sarasota just to see us.

My experience in this? I am a senior at Ringling. I can't speak for SVA though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay... so despite of the scholarships that I was offered from MICA and UArts, I narrowed my choice down to SVA and Ringling..
    and here are some my thoughts & information I gathered so far

SVA- diversity, professors currently working in the industry, slightly cheaper...?
    Ringling- High job placement, better facility, workplace oriented... ??
    but still need you guys help...xD I never thought choosing a school would be this hard..!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How's the living in Sarasota? Would it be difficult to live in there without a car? Unless everything is inside the campus I think transportation would take a big part of my decision since I won't be able to afford one... I mean I've never been to Florida but I LOVE summer... (doesn't mean that I wanna go to Ringling just because of the weather)and my friend who have lived in Tempa for 2 years said that it is impossible to live in Florida without a car.

Last edited by AlexisArtist; March 10th, 2012 at 12:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was born and raised 45 min outside Sarasota in Tampa but have a lot of friends in sarasota. I reccomeded a car. There isn't much to do without it. Sarasota is a small area. It's really close to st Pete and Clearwater which are really popular with college kids (we all go there it's fun). It'll be lot more fun with a car IMO.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meglo View Post
    I was born and raised 45 min outside Sarasota in Tampa but have a lot of friends in sarasota. I reccomeded a car. There isn't much to do without it. Sarasota is a small area. It's really close to st Pete and Clearwater which are really popular with college kids (we all go there it's fun). It'll be lot more fun with a car IMO.
    You seem to be under the impression that Ringling students have the free time to have fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexisArtist View Post
    How's the living in Sarasota? Would it be difficult to live in there without a car? Unless everything is inside the campus I think transportation would take a big part of my decision since I won't be able to afford one... I mean I've never been to Florida but I LOVE summer... (doesn't mean that I wanna go to Ringling just because of the weather)and my friend who have lived in Tempa for 2 years said that it is impossible to live in Florida without a car.
    you TOTALLY don't need a car. I haven't had one in my four years hear and most of my friends haven't either. The only time I leave campus is to go grocery shopping or to dinner/movies with friends. I would bike/bus for groceries and then anything else ride with a friend. Sarasota is MUCH smaller than Tampa or Orlando (where I'm from) so getting around even without a car is much more reasonable. The airport is like 3 miles or so from campus, the closest full grocery store about 1 mile, and downtown sarasota about 2 miles. A lot of people just plain ride bikes to wherever they need to go, because if you need to go anywhere chances are it's in a 3 mi radius of school. Heck, if you were on a meal plan you probably wouldn't even need to leave campus, and like Melancov said, there's not a lot of free time to be wandering about, especially after senior year.

Also on weather, I don't know where you're from but FL summers can be kind of brutal... They're hot, but they're also reeaaally humid. I don't know anyone here who LOVES summer, but it's alright. The nice thing about Sarasota too is that since it's by the water the temperatures are a little more milder than the inland cities and it rains noticeably less.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzybeth View Post
    you TOTALLY don't need a car. I haven't had one in my four years hear and most of my friends haven't either. The only time I leave campus is to go grocery shopping or to dinner/movies with friends. I would bike/bus for groceries and then anything else ride with a friend. Sarasota is MUCH smaller than Tampa or Orlando (where I'm from) so getting around even without a car is much more reasonable. The airport is like 3 miles or so from campus, the closest full grocery store about 1 mile, and downtown sarasota about 2 miles. A lot of people just plain ride bikes to wherever they need to go, because if you need to go anywhere chances are it's in a 3 mi radius of school. Heck, if you were on a meal plan you probably wouldn't even need to leave campus, and like Melancov said, there's not a lot of free time to be wandering about, especially after senior year.

Also on weather, I don't know where you're from but FL summers can be kind of brutal... They're hot, but they're also reeaaally humid. I don't know anyone here who LOVES summer, but it's alright. The nice thing about Sarasota too is that since it's by the water the temperatures are a little more milder than the inland cities and it rains noticeably less.
    Not to jack OP's topic, but may I ask what you guys do during Hurricane season? I've considered applying at Ringling in the future, but being someone from Michigan, I can't help but think about that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was also accepted into Ringling and SVA. I'm currently attending SVA and I love it.
    I suppose statistics are on Ringlings side for hired after graduation, but SVA's percentage is going up as well.

Already we've had students accepted into Pixars summer program/internships for the last three straights years. I would definitely go to a school in NY because the location is key for experience. Our program is only getting better and better each year as the demand for this field grows.
    Several recent grads are in places like Dreamworks, Pixar, Bluesky, Psyop, Nathan Love, Framestore, etc.

Have you applied for scholarships at SVA? I know there's a 6k - 12k scholarship here.
    Our cheapest dorm is I think 9k a year, but you could probably find cheaper housing by renting in the other boroughs (not Manhattan).

I've already mentioned this to a lot of previous people with the same question but I think location is a lot more important than statistics. Success is really based on the person: how hard you work, how well you are at networking, etc. School and their education will only do so much for you. The experience you need and the knowledge you need to get are in abundance in NYC. You learn the MOST during internships. School education is not the same as real studio education. Every studio does things differently, have different methods and the more you learn in real world method the better you'll be prepped. I've picked up three new applications in a matter of a 1-2 weeks at an internship. At a school it may take half a semester and then you forget because you learn things you don't need to use right away. This is why I think NYC is a better choice. Not the mention the East Coast is starting to expand on feature film business, and you always want to be where the opportunities are just starting up.

I've already gotten two internships due to recommendations by professors/faculty. One professor hired me for freelance opportunity.

www.ellensu.com
    3D modeling | character designer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by art-of-tennis View Post
    Not to jack OP's topic, but may I ask what you guys do during Hurricane season? I've considered applying at Ringling in the future, but being someone from Michigan, I can't help but think about that.
    Sarasota is relatively safe from hurricanes, by the standards of cities near the water in Florida. Hurricanes tend to hit land either further north in the Gulf or on the Atlantic side of Florida.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by art-of-tennis View Post
    It's been pretty quiet here for the past four years honestly (which is nice because we got hit pretty good for the four years before that and could use a break). Earlier this year or last year I think there was the possibility that we might be hit. The school would have closed during that time and on campus students forced to evacuate to other places or local shelters, like high schools etc (ironic, considering we're a college... heh). The thing never hit though.

Hurricane season really isn't that big of a deal unless you're a homeowner or are unfortunate enough to get hit head on by a big storm.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your opinion!
    I was also thinking about cultural advantages/opportunities I would get if I live in NY

and I have a question- do I have to know how to use programs like MAYA before the school starts?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

and I have a question- do I have to know how to use programs like MAYA before the school starts?
    You don't need to, but I'd recommend it strongly. A lot of students enter computer animation programs only to discover that they don't actually enjoy animating in Maya, and end up wasting a whole lot of money.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your opinion!
    I was also thinking about cultural advantages/opportunities I would get if I live in NY

You don't. But I took a precollege course to check out if I would be able to do it/enjoy it. Even if Maya is challenging for students, we have students that learn the basics, then use 3D to branch out into 2D work or things like 3D printing/sculpture work.

Also if anyone is in the city in the coming months, feel free to attend the various events we've got coming up. Here's a still of one of the senior thesis this year. There's a lot of amazing talent this graduating class.

Ringling vs. SVA vs. UArts vs. MICA

www.ellensu.com
    3D modeling | character designer

23. The Following User Says Thank You to aiya its ai For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.