Thanks

A sketchbook, you say?

I finally found a life drawing class in my area. It's been a lot of years since I've done any figure drawing. All the same pose, about two hours each.

The best drawing I managed to do isn't here. The model offered to buy it. You'd think that was a compliment, but when I told her she could have it for nothing, she said, "then for god's sake stop working on it before you ruin it."

Overwork things? Moi?
    Draw more. Draw from reference. Draw on paper with a pencil. Do it every day. If you can't draw a good banana, how you going to draw a space marine?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Oops. Left one out.
    Draw more. Draw from reference. Draw on paper with a pencil. Do it every day. If you can't draw a good banana, how you going to draw a space marine?

Thanks
    Two foot studies from the same session. I've never really gotten my head around feet, if you know what I mean. The answer: draw more feet!

Thanks
    Great perception and line work. I really love your lines, so concise. Don't flat your drawing adding that heavy background, in value separation that would be perceived as closer than your actual sketch and if you don't do the same stuff even under the subject the eye tend to perceive some odd object overwhelming your figure. Just add dark thing under or totally behind the figure and the results will be much stronger.

Thanks
    Thank you. I think I know what you mean. I'm not even thinking about these as drawings yet, in the sense of nice pictures for their own sake. This is more nuts-and-bolts homework. Forms, anatomy. Proportion. I've always struggled with proportion.

Hm. Got to come up with a better thumbnail for my sketchbook. A giant foot, perhaps?

This is a new session, new model. More like four hours in this one. Not sure where I'll go with it next week (we have three more sessions with this pose).

Thanks
    Four hours for nuts and bolts homework? I will call it an accurate studying of proportions and shading. It's a standard setting with 2 light sources?

Thanks
    Sadly, it's almost entirely lit by overhead fluorescent lamps. The instructor has a spotlight aimed at her, but it's drowned out by the ambient light. That's a real frustration.

Thanks
    Last week, I did some ink and wash drawings. They stank. This week, back to graphite. This is two hours, and I'll probably spend another two on it next week.