Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts

Male Birth Control Pill in Development

Researchers in Kentucky have developed a possible male birth control pill. The pill is supposedly non-hormonal and causes a temporary stop in the production of sperm. So far it has only been tested on rats.

http://6lawrence.com/news/education-...-control-pill/

There is also a hormone-based birth control pill being developed, which can be read about here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3543478/.../#.T1G6l3JWrlI

In either case, the main opponent of these pills are religiously biased government officials who are against birth control. I'd like to believe that if the female version could be passed then so could the male version. Maybe I'm foolishly hopeful. I'd love to see this developed in my life time.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Muz

Thanks
    I hope so too.

Thanks
    yeah this would be pretty cool.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    I'm all for it if it's safe. Then both parties can be less at risk at the same time instead of making one of these

Also of course one of the doctors is chinese and named Christina Wang......

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Muz

Thanks
    I'm all for it, myself, although I honestly have to say I have my doubts that most men would use it if it were available, even if it were safe. Condoms are safe and widely available, and yet a lot of men refuse or forget to wear them.

Of course, I fully acknowledge that I'm being slightly sexist here and the above is a blanket statement, but it's just based on my personal observations. Clearly, the gentlemen in the forum thus far are all for it =) (An rightly so!)

Thanks for posting the article, Jacob!
    Kickstarter Project

Painted to Published - A Children's Book Project

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...s-book-project

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Something_Moore View Post
    although I honestly have to say I have my doubts that most men would use it if it were available, even if it were safe. Condoms are safe and widely available, and yet a lot of men refuse or forget to wear them.
    I'm worried about the possibility of "Hey no worries baby I'm on the man-pill... I swear!" At least with condoms it's clear whether or not he has it on. They should have the pill make their member glow a resplendent white to confirm the purity of his actions.... and to let the guy re-enact his favorite space-balls moments.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A very welcome advance.
    Although personally, as a female, I don't really know how much I'd trust my partner on it. In the end I'm the one that get's pregnant, I know if I'm taking pills or any other method, I can see when I'm using a condom (despite it's failure rate) but I will never really know if a guy is taking pills and even if I know he is, then how persistent and on time he is with them. This might also give rise to a new kind of manwhore who tricks women into having sex with them without a condom. If I were a sexually active guy and this was on the market, I'd take it though, save me from accidentally becoming someone's babydaddy.
    I do agree though that this would give a viable option to stable/married couples.

Thanks
    Better to combine. Pills don't protect againt STD's while condoms do.
    Continue the critique at Deviant Art

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Males under 30 don't need it, they let society neuter them already.

Thanks
    Well see if it's sex with a random person either way it's the same as before. If a random girl said

"hey don't worry I'm on the pill"
    I'm sorry but Yeeaaaaaah sorry I wouldn't in the slightest trust that shit.

It would be the same with a guy. I wouldn't expect a stranger to trust another stranger with something that serious. Since as sad as it is there are women out there while I'm betting rare do shit like this (and vice versa for guys)

http://www.popjolly.com/woman-uses-s...d-support-2109

Thanks
    Thanked 6,738 Times in 4,642 Posts
    ^ this. Women have pulled that trick and no doubt men will. For long term relationships it would work - I hated the pill as it made my migraines worse.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Something_Moore View Post
    I'm all for it, myself, although I honestly have to say I have my doubts that most men would use it if it were available, even if it were safe. Condoms are safe and widely available, and yet a lot of men refuse or forget to wear them.

Of course, I fully acknowledge that I'm being slightly sexist here and the above is a blanket statement, but it's just based on my personal observations. Clearly, the gentlemen in the forum thus far are all for it =) (An rightly so!)

Thanks for posting the article, Jacob!

Condoms are probably uncomfortable. This pill hopefully won't have much side effects other than having to pay for them, and maybe men will be more likely to use it. As scared as we are of getting pregnant, men are just as scared of getting a girl pregnant with the responsibilities it means for him.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bytheoak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This sounds sexist, but fuck that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    This sounds sexist, but fuck that.
    What sounds sexist?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 691 Posts
    I'm all for it really. I've been taking the pill for over 6 years now and while I don't really mind taking it (really, it's just a habit you grow into) I do fear for the effects it may have long term and different pills did have very different effects on me both mentally and physically. I'm fully aware the threats will probably be the same for guys, but it would be nice to "share the burden" (or at least the responsibility), to put it that way. I guess I should add that I'm in a relationship and trust my partner completely.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bytheoak View Post
    What sounds sexist?
    The fact that I'm not willing to take a pill that might (even if it wont) damage my ability to produce sperm while on some level expecting the girl I'm with to take a similar pill daily.
    To be honest, I'm generally against pills, there's something about them that fights my rational side and shouts "I'M DANGEROUS!"
    I'm all for contraception, but it never crossed my mind that I might have to take a pill.
    uh... yeah.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 691 Posts
    Lol Barefoot, at least you understand it has to be taken daily. One guy I dated thought I only had to take it after every time we did it.. It's pretty much why I pointed out I'd like to see guys be more involved in the responsibility (I'm fully aware my exes don't represent all guys, but I've been out with four and only one of them was even remotely interested in how the pill works and how I take it etc, which is also the guy I'm still with for a reason, lol).

Thanks
    Worth noting is that male birth control pills have been "5 years away from reaching the market".... Since the 70s. The news of of possible male birth control pills have been resurfacing about every 5 years for that period, and yet nor become a reality for a number of factors.

I do believe that male birth control pills is possible, but the problems male birth control pills faces a lot of serious problems to address before it can reach the market. For example, the demand that they need to be almost side effects and risk free.

The demands on male birth control pills to be side effects free will be a lot higher, almost impossible high, for two reasons. First because this is the 2010s, not the 50s. The standards is a lot higher now. If female birth control pills been invented today they would never been approved because of the risks and side effects.

Secondly, male birth control pills will face an even higher standards because male birth controls pills have no direct positive effect on the person taking thems own health. The benefit is socioeconomically (not becoming the father of a child), not health benefits. In the case of female birth controls pills you can justly compare the risk and benefits of birth control pills with the risk associated with pregnant and/or abortions. But in the case of males, there are no direct health benefits, hence you can't weight the risk of taking the pills against other health risks associated with not taking them. (Since there are non).

So. I think male birth control pills will be on the market some day, but I'm not sure it will be soon, because the demands on the pills to be practically risk and side effects free are to big to be easy to overcome.

But if they where male birth controls pills, I would feel a lot safer with this extra layer of protection against pregnancy (in addition to condoms and/or female birth control pills), and that they would be really important options for sexual partners of different sexes if the women that can't take female birth controls pills.
    I have no intention of becoming a professional artist, I just aspire to become a really good amateur.

Sketchbook: w176 love of the color dirt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    The fact that I'm not willing to take a pill that might (even if it wont) damage my ability to produce sperm while on some level expecting the girl I'm with to take a similar pill daily.
    To be honest, I'm generally against pills, there's something about them that fights my rational side and shouts "I'M DANGEROUS!"
    I'm all for contraception, but it never crossed my mind that I might have to take a pill.
    uh... yeah.
    Hmm. Not really as sexist as maybe selfish..but I understand. Hey as long as you're willing to use condoms, no need to worry about it.They've gone to great lengths to make sure the female b.c. pill doesn't affect fertility so I'm sure this one will be treated with as much care.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 797 Posts
    Well I personally choose not to take the pill because I really don't feel comfortable screwing around with internal bodily functions, so I would understand if my partner felt the same way and chose not take a sperm production suppressant pill. I don't think it's selfish as long as you don't expect your partner to do what you won't yourself.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bytheoak View Post
    Hmm. Not really as sexist as maybe selfish..but I understand. Hey as long as you're willing to use condoms, no need to worry about it.They've gone to great lengths to make sure the female b.c. pill doesn't affect fertility so I'm sure this one will be treated with as much care.
    Yeah, selfish is more the word. There's no point me saying "no, yeah, sure I'd take that pill" if I wouldn't, it doesn't really stem from anything other than a 'phobia' of pills. I won't even take a paracetamol unless I'm in so much pain that I cant sleep. (only happened once, when I broke my arm in two places).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    I prefer permenant Vasectomy, but then I never want children.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Condoms feel a whole lot different, there's a reason why many people don't use it when they can. Some people even view the condom as a sign that their partner doesn't "trust" them, which I find ridiculous but quite common.

Thanks
    Is it fallacious to think that all the people who consider birth control and contraception as "evil", will out-breed the people use them and increase the prevalence of those... beliefs?

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeston View Post
    Is it fallacious to think that all the people who consider birth control and contraception as "evil", will out-breed the people use them and increase the prevalence of those... beliefs?
    I don't think that'll happen...those kids grow up and decide for themselves what is right or wrong even if they are taught a certain way.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,526 Times in 2,458 Posts
    "I'm worried about the possibility of "Hey no worries baby I'm on the man-pill... I swear!" At least with condoms it's clear whether or not he has it on."

I dont understand the point of a male contraceptive pill; in relationships women seem quite happy taking the pill, and for casual sex you have to wear a johnny or risk STD transmission anyway.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post

I dont understand the point of a male contraceptive pill; in relationships women seem quite happy taking the pill, and for casual sex you have to wear a johnny or risk STD transmission anyway.
    The female birth control pill has some fairly major side effects in a fairly large percentage of women, reduced libido and/or physical sensation being most common.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    The female birth control pill has some fairly major side effects in a fairly large percentage of women, reduced physical sensation being most common.
    Come now, we already have to wear little rubber happiness retardants, I think it's fair that everyone has to make a sacrifice or two.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Beeston For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,526 Times in 2,458 Posts
    "The female birth control pill has some fairly major side effects in a fairly large percentage of women, reduced libido and/or physical sensation being most common."

I didnt know that, the pill has been ubiquitous in the women I know for many reasons, but i looked up the long term side effects and found the following terrifying relationship:

"In females the risk of ectopic pregnancies is exponentially related to the period of usage of hormonal contraceptives."

http://birthcontrolsideeffects.biz/

Surely this cant be true?
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeston View Post
    Come now, we already have to wear little rubber happiness retardants, I think it's fair that everyone has to make a sacrifice or two.
    But if there's a non hormonal birth control, no more rubber helmets =p

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast