Snakey things - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Snakey things

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the slowest artist in the world is back I started work on this again recently and refactored some stuff I didn't like. Any advice is welcome!

Name:  full12.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  399.2 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    my advice is dont bother doing all the textures and stuff till youre totally happy with the composition cos tend to get locked in to the composition you have for fear of changing anything you spent ages on, or you end up wasting a lot of time redoing fiddly things.
    image is looking ok. Im dubious a jet plane could crash and be that intact, i think it would splash or explode over a wide area, or at least smash its windscreen. but whatever. maybe make it all chromy to show its a super storng space jet. and maybe work the design of the head a bit more its a bit... it needs more designing. more big shapes working together.,

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; January 28th, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello... in my opinion... the careless stronaut on the image sounds better... other point, I think if give more attention on the snake faces looking to the astronaut, as fi it was ready to stryke, it could work better, as it is in suggestion of Chris Sanders.

best regards

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pauloricardo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the advice and help I maybe get one or two hours a week to paint at the moment (which is nowhere near enough) so its still slow progress I'm afraid...

Velocity Kendall: I do start textures too early, its true. I am pretty happy with the overall composition at this stage. I'll get better at planning the layout of images initially as I go I guess. I definitely agree about the damage to the aircraft - I've added a hole but I want to do more than that whilst still making it recognisable.

Pauloricardo: The astronaut went AWOL in my last image but he's back now. I was concentrating so much on the snake I didn't notice I had hidden that layer.

Anyhow, I'm adding more debris and hopefully some more impression of movement. This is where it stands at the moment:

Name:  full13.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  434.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The next iteration:

Name:  full14.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  509.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If the snake is moving (which I assume from the debris kicked up) then we won't see those scales; they'd be blurred. The debris kicked up doesn't look natural somehow but I can't put my finger on why. I think it may be that it doesn't look like it's moving in the direction of the snake's movement (think dust kicked up by a moving car).

On another note, the excess details in the scales drags my eye there, away from the focal point. Keep those areas more restrained and keep your detailed textures for the focal point.

Finally, that plane should have crumple zones (big ones) from the impact. Also, that hole is really unrealistic - it should be a rent or tear in the skin Assuming you're lucky - almost every crash I googled was almost always on fire or shattered:
    Name:  nazca-crash-peru.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  37.6 KB

Cheers

D'Arcy

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It totally depends what kind of plane crash you are looking for. Emergency landings, Crash landings, Crashes => 3 different results. Then consider the aircraft. A Cessna (like you see in the picture above) will crash differently than an Airbus A380. Was the plane shot down, did it catch fire- in short, what was the reason for the crash? Jet engines can be turned off in flight and their fuel diverted to the other engine, so fire can be averted- it's not always the movie-scenario. However when the wings (which store the fuel) get damaged on impact, and you get a spark, then yes, you get fire. But the smoke coming out of the front somehow defies my imagination. My problem is that at the moment you can't actually identify any means of power source of the plane (propeller/jet). Planes have landed before with fuselage ripped open, but this hole looks like the cockpit- which makes the scenario extremely unlikely. Nose-first impact tends to shatter the front or beak it off from the main fuselage, so the scenario pictures here seems to me a comic-style head-first into rubble landing, which doesn't work. Have a look at NG 2012 intentionally crashing a 727 in a desert, because of the lack of a pilot it crashes nose first: VIDEO.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, I chose the cesna just because it was one of the few I googled that hadn't caught fire and burned up - your video is more realistic. However the OP seems to have it smashed into a cliff which I think would really smash up that cockpit area more than either of our examples :-)

D.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Velocity, Justa and LordLouis: Thank you for the suggestions and it is certainly apparent I should have used ref for the plane crash (not really sure why I didn't, I was using ref for nearly everything else...). Anyhow, it is clear that I do need to revisit how the plane looks and I shall do so.

Justa: I have added some motion blur and hopefully improved the debris as well so there is more motion in the scene. I haven't done much more than that yet though so I wont post anything just yet.
    LordLouis: That is a pretty amazing video link of a crash test that you posted. Its a wonder pilots ever survive plane crashes when you see what happens to the nose on that boeing...

I have two more specific questions while I work on the other stuff:
    * How are the values looking?
    * Is the colour scheme OK?

Thank you all!

Chris.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

Well, I got back to thinking about what I imagined from the original picture, and the basic premise was to have some people on an unfamiliar planet encountering the creature. I was thinking explorers that had had an accident, but actually it works just as well without a crashed aircraft.

I've started work on having a lander-like craft instead, which I think still works and also simplifies the scene somewhat. The composition is still largely the same (minus the smoke). I need to work on it some more to sort out the rubble, which doesn't add much as it stands and (I think) confuses the lay of the land a little too much now, to put in another couple of spacemen by the craft to help scale and story, and maybe some other equipment to show they are studying stuff. I need to blend the craft in better with the background and add some more detail, texture, and decals.

Its very rough at the moment, but what do people think about the basic composition as it stands?

Oh yes, there is an embarrising tangent between the left leg of the craft and the rock. I'll have to fix that...

Name:  full15.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  396.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Liking it better, I wonder if you should adjust the pose of the astronaut from the half run he seems to have now to an "uh oh, what the hell is that?!?!" pose?
    (don't you love that all our suggestions boil down to "how can we get him to repaint the whole thing while appearing to be helpful?")

Cheers

D'Arcy

17. The Following User Says Thank You to justa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh - I was having massive issues with the pose for the spaceman and was probably going to restart him from scratch anyway All the repaints are good practice anyway...

Also, looking at it with fresh eyes I think the perspective is wonky on the lander. I'll have to fix that too...

How do you think the colours and values are looking? Historically, I have a tendancy to make things too stark.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I re-did the spaceman.

Comments please! Especially any about colour balance / tone / values

Thank you

Name:  full16.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  421.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a lot better, a three year old can establish whats going on now. It almost looked like the last astronaut didn't even notice the several stories tall snake alien.

Sketchbooks:
    Virtual Sprite - New
    Cali to SC, The Joshua Hollis Story - Old

W.I.P. Threads:
    By Crom! - Done

21. The Following User Says Thank You to J.R.Hollis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a helpful blogpost by James Gurney about where to place the most texture on a round form, in this case a tower, but it should apply equally well to a giant snake

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Aqualeot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've done some more work and altered a few bits and pieces

How is it looking?

Name:  full19.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  407.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dang man, I'm a bit disappointed that you gave up on recreating a more convincing space crash. Think how interesting the piece could have been.

Anyway, I would add a lot more texture to the closest arch of the snake alien. It will add some depth. We would be able to see some texture if the snake is that close, the head not so much because its lighted and a bit farther.

Sketchbooks:
    Virtual Sprite - New
    Cali to SC, The Joshua Hollis Story - Old

W.I.P. Threads:
    By Crom! - Done

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1