Art: Questions of the inexperienced

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Elendil Guest

Question Questions of the inexperienced

Well, I've seen lately a lot of magnifcent work on this site and on some other and I got really interested in digital painting. But, the thing is, I don't know much about it. My only media so far was the good ol' pencil...
    So, I'm going to post some totally newbie questions and hope for some answers. If the questions are too stupid, please bear with me, I am just a poor little begginer... :baby

1. I love J. Manley's work, especially the Icewind Dale portraits. I'd like to know how was that done - by using Photoshop or Painter? Is a tablet essential for such work? Can something like that be done with a mouse?

2. What is wacom painting?

3. What's the difference between Photoshop and Painter? Which one is better?

There, that's it. Hope I didn't come out as a total dumbass...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay Ill take some time to help you out...

Photoshop or Painter?
    1.I dont know if he used photoshop or painter, but I would assume Painter because he advocates its use all the time.

Is a tablet essential for such work? Can something like that be done with a mouse?
    2. A tablet is not esential if you take a look at some of WES's stuff he does it all with a mouse.. *link to his site*
    http://www.stormpages.com/wes9000/

and wes won the Thunderdome contest last time.. so as you can see it can be done.. But I think almost everyone here would recomend getting a tablet.

*link to tablet discussion on this forum*
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=&threadid=223

3.. What is wacom painting?
    A wacom painting.. Well I think its just a painting on the computer where a wacom tablet was used... The tablet is just like a mouse or trackball.. its the program that decides everything... so it would be a photoshop or painter or paintshop pro etc.. painting.

3. What's the difference between Photoshop and Painter? Which one is better?
    -Well its a big matter of opinion.. Depends on how you work, if you are big on traditional media, what you feel more comfortable with etc.. They are just tools, you have to remember that... You cant say well which is better a chainsaw or a pair of scissors.. each has its purpose and when used correctly does magnificent things.

In my opinion I think painter is more of a "painting program" and photoshop is a "photo manipulation program" that has also been used for painting. I use both.. They are great peices of software. Id recomend trying them both out and making your own decision.

If you aren't to familiar with the power of either you can check out some fantastic photoshop peices at www.goodbrush.com
    and there are tons of great painter pictures under Adroids Self Portrait section on this forum..

*link to Painter section... there is some good info in there about the Photoshop and Painter*
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/for...?s=&forumid=23

If you have more questions feel free to ask here or PM me.. Id be happy to help...

good luck man...

peace

-Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah.

Elendil Guest

Smile

Thanks a lot for the help, the links are excellent!
    Great site - great people!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ps and painter. learn both. then pick your favorite weapon. i highly recommend a tablet. i got a 9X12....cost a sh$%load, but i have already gotten my moneys worth.

when you start messing around with the programs...don't let them frustrate you at first(especially painter). just get on them everyday and you will be up and running.

i like painter more...but what do i know?

zak Guest
    i agree, first invest in a good wacom tablet, go ask in the shop if you can try different sizes. i settled for the 6x8. then learn both painter and photoshop. painter is a friggin pain in the ass to learn, but soo many brushes and differeent paper and and and. its really worth learning

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A follow up message..

Besides knowing photoshop and painter.. I think being really aware of computers and other porgrams is very important.. Know your computer.. know how to fix it if it breaks.. Know other programs.. so if you are ever faced with something new you know how to navigate and learn it fast... Be able to adapt.

I have been looking at a lot of posts for jobs, all out of my league.. but the one thing on there that they all wanted was someone able to adapt...

Just thought I would share that too.

peace

-Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

zak Guest
    definitely. you can begin to imagine how many problems you come across with your computer. practise creative problem solving as often as you can (dont let your computer catch fire thou, like i did)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.