Spartan Camp #216 - 50 gestures + Optional "Two week long Study"

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

In Anthis's absence I'm starting the next thread, Hope nobody objects!

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Friday the 16th of March.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Two week long Study", in any medium.

The exercise:
    Simple plan, study some thing for two weeks, so work on a painting or sketch for two weeks,
    Old paintings from the pre Raphaelite era or after make good examples or other artists its all up to you as long
    as you don't get demotivated and can stick to something for two weeks.

Link:
    http://largesizepaintings.blogspot.com.au/
    http://www.oldpaintings.it/
    http://oldpainting.blogspot.com.au/search/label/1400s

As always- reference advised, not obligatory. Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Good luck and have fun! And feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.
    Criticizing each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #215:

AdrianNagorski
    littlebones
    alizak
    Obacmar
    ashess
    Little-Maiden
    Ixallus
    Gibi
    eclip-se
    MartinC
    kayness
    LordLouis
    shiNIN
    darkops

Last edited by AdrianNagorski; March 1st, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    No, I don't deserve a star, I didn't do the optional.

Not counting the fun in the end of the last topic, I have these this far:

I really dunno what would happen when I actually drew. I'm still very lazy, my mental state is already okayish but actual drawing is little. But I feel pumped up now
    I really bring babies, elephant, baby elephants and whatnot this week!

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some Loomis arms. Mostly gesture stuff from pixelovely.com.
    I drew from some stills from the movie the Battle of Algiers as well.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Bellhop; March 2nd, 2012 at 06:05 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bellhop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @shiNIN: Lackadaisy, eh! I love that comic. I also noticed you drew Asuka from Evangelion, a couple of weeks ago. I think it's cool that you could draw different styles, like realism and cartoony.

Thanks
    shiNIN: font under estimate yourself brother! Every one got a star for there constant dedication and i wasn't sure how
    Anthis ranks people so i took the easy route.
    Also a good long study will be great for you, im liking the range of variety in your work recently, but take it easy, don't slow down but focus on areas that make you feel like you don't want to draw. Take your time thats the secret.

Bellhop: liking the movement and the form build ups in your gestures good work,

So night shift last night, woke up remembered Ashess did some
    rugby stuff awhile back so i thought i'd the same...hmmm..
    maybe she did wrestlers?? LOL cant remember now.
    almost 3 hours work hope quality surpasses quantity in my case, off to work soon so during the coming week i should have more to post, keep working hard guys!!!!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey AdrianNagorski, I couldn't find any thread where I sign up. So, do I just jump in? You allow that in Sparta?

Sketchbooks

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Vritra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Vritra: Anybody is welcome! usually Anthis runs
    the show but hes being missing in action for awhile, so i've continued his fine work,
    any way post, critique, learn and enjoy.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    heyy Adrian thanks for the shout out!

This week's gesture drawings are 2 minutes animal drawings from pixelovely.com and negative space drawings from posemaniacs.com.

I used different coloured pencils and I decided that a brown colour pencil scans the best (not really a surprise, but I could hope). Every page except for the birdie one was adjusted to heck in photoshop for contrast and curves. The feline page was actually done in bright forest green and it scanned awfully so I changed it to brown.

I hope you guys don't think I'm being mean for calling that fish ugly ...I guess he's ugly by human standards but I'm sure some fish ladies find him hot or something.

for the two week long study, I reallly wanna do this!!!! I've been in love with this painting for like, forever or something!

Last edited by kayness; March 6th, 2012 at 12:40 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kayness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kayness View Post
    I hope you guys don't think I'm being mean for calling that fish ugly ...I guess he's ugly by human standards but I'm sure some fish ladies find him hot or something.
    You are a nice one. I think telling your subjective opinion isn't such a big deal; I think people who kill spiders are mean. And I don't think every spiders are cute, most of them are a blob with legs but I like all I meet
    Sweeet bunny and squirrel sketches
    Good luck for your master study. Multiple figures, it's what scares me most, that's why I'm thinking I should do that too... A single portrait is too quick for two weeks.
    By the way, I think we should make the deadline 18th, it was always Sunday and I like that tradition.

Sorry guys, I slowed down, I have just this little thing digitally (and some very wip golden jackals I don't wanna show yet. not easy).

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vritra View Post
    Hey AdrianNagorski, I couldn't find any thread where I sign up. So, do I just jump in? You allow that in Sparta?
    bring artwork and you're allowed in!

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 656 Posts
    Thanks AdrianNagorski for posting a new thread!
    I've had a bad week and posting a new Spartan Camp got lost in the mess.

Will get some gestures in soon!

*Edit* just noticed we had a different optional study*

Last edited by Anthis; March 5th, 2012 at 03:26 AM.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Anthis YEAAAA...YOUR BACK!! It was so lonely without you. question..I've been doing 90 sec poses for sometime and also I've decided to study thou Burne Hogarth Dynamic Figure Drawing. i really want to get down a good habit study so that ill improve that fastest. any thoughts???

Kayess well, when im doing 90 sec poses its easier in mypaint...not like in photoshop where you have to make a new layer or resize them. So far I've been doing them everyday but don't feel like im getting better at it. Feels like im mindless drawing them like a zombie. its pretty easy to doing them...as easy as brushing my teeth..as for the enviro thumbnails since i started them they feel like a chores...i dont feel like i have that much confidence in rendering...put i have to do it if i want to be awesome...

Shinin nice update... yea, I only like a few thou...there hard for me because I've never painted...Even thou there small i take a few water brakes to clear my head. I'll keep doing them and it'll get easier with time.The next step for me is making bigger more refined enviro.

Martinc hey, can you make a small tutorial of how you render in mypaint i think it would me?

Last edited by darkops; March 4th, 2012 at 12:38 PM.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to darkops For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    darkops: there's a few nice ones again... I love enviros I'm pretty sure they will be very useful for me but almost always end up drawing figures or heads

Anthis: thanks for the link
    There's kindgirls.com too... But I personally prefer gracefulnudes.com. Mmmm...

I lost my golden jackals due to blackout and my absent-mindedness, I usually save more often
    I tried to redid them but it wasn't easy. I try to stop copying things and find rhytm and whatnot in animal drawing as well but it will take time.

I have these as well.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    shiNIN- lovely anime faces! Good character going on in your work.
    Bellhop-- nice quick studies and good to see values in there too. Well done.
    AdrianNagorski-- Very dynamic! Hard to say if there is any cc, some of the faces look odd, but then I've seen rugby player pics before and their faces DO look odd.
    kayness- yey blue pencil. Beautiful birds, nice values going on. For the negative space stuff, do you set up a skeleton first? I ask because a lot of your pics don't have that much negative space (like a triangle between an arm and a hip), and that can make it really tricky.
    darkops-- nice thubnails! Some really great stuff in there. Wow, tones of figures too! Well done!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zy. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thank you shinin, love the flowy dynamic lines in your characters! and yes multiple figures will be challenging but I think it will be exciting!

zy. for the negative space study i drew from this http://www.posemaniacs.com/negativespace they didn't have skeletons, just silhouettes of figures so I just copied from that. Thanks!!! I love blue pencils too, I'm just concerned it may not be as eyecatching or whatever as a basic brown pencil.

darkops
    - good philosophy - "do it if you want to be awesome!" which reminds me to do enviro too. it's my weakest area at the min. i didnm't know that enviros are allowed here...

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kayness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i didnm't know that enviros are allowed here...
    They actually aren't.
    Spartan Camp originally is for gestures, figures... Allowing heads and hands and whatnot is okay, they have gesture too and even if they are neutral, they are part of the figure at least.
    Some people bring objects and enviros from time to time and we are so very tolerant and interested in other things than gestures that no one says a bad word. But those still aren't gestures at all.

This actitivy may called Spartan Camp but it lacks Spartan strictness.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Anthis:No problem man , i apologies if i was out of line for doing it. In any case hope your coming weeks get better and you can pump out some more awesome_ness!!!

shiNIN: LOL you made me laugh with: "This actitivy may called Spartan Camp but it lacks Spartan strictness."
    i guess each one has there own avaliblity and discipline here which
    is cool. if i could id draw 12 hours a day!!! every day!!

The faces are from my soggy brain,
    the rest is from images from flicker, me betta get started on the
    two weeker, leaning towards a Franzetta study i tried once. . .

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I want to join this.

Last edited by Eternal Apprentice; March 11th, 2012 at 08:23 PM.
    Do a lot of work and your work will be as good as your ambitions.
    Eternal Sketchbook

Tensai --- A La Bapsi --- Psychobuddy --- Wingal--- Lakai

Thanks
    I'm too lazy to reply to everyone whose work I like.
    AdrianNagorski, you have greatly improved while I was not looking, great job!
    The imaginary faces look skewed. I often do the same mistakes when drawing from imagination, though.
    shiNIN: All of your stuff looks good to me, except all that animu stuff which I don't understand...

30 sec gestures and a few sketches from Soviet paintings about World War II.
    I don't know what to draw for the optional, because my head is full of random ideas: it's either some sci-fi environment or vehicle sketch (which would probably look like crap), or a portrait of Vladimir Putin, or some architecture concepting, etc.
    Master studies are not an option - I'm too bad at painting to successfully do one.

Sketchbook

''The problem with quotes from the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity'' - Abraham Lincoln

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guardian G.I. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm slowed down again I have just these (and some pencil scribbles, force book and anime alike and some photo refd fail too. it wasn't my day):

Oh and I know what I want to choose for the optional.
    I told kayness I always tried to avoid multiple figures.
    So I thought why not jump
    Nothing surprising, Bouguereau as always.

..maybe I will think over and run away
    I dunno yet
    Now it seems a good idea to me.
    Maybe it will be over two weeks. It should be enough in great state and working on it a lot but I'm not always in my top shape and this world offers more for a hedonist

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    with you all in spirit if not in action! :o

@Anthis-welcome back man; hope you're doing better!

@shinIn- love those foxes! the piece you choose.. wow! there's multiple figuresand multiplemultiple. wouldnt going for 2 be easier? just saying. this one intimidates me enough to run away screaming, let alone get anything down on paper.

@darkops- lovely screens! and wow, that's 50 gestures already huh? glad you didnt make m so dark this time. though they're a bit small now!^^

ahh, spent all evening on my water element. and my new scanner hasnt arrived yet so canna scan any pencils. so this is all I got :p
    Name:  robintjes.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  32.6 KB

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

41. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Shinin, I don't think I've seen that one before. What is it called? I don't like many of Bouguereau's works but that one is stunning to me even though this is the first time I saw this!

Guardian
    I think you captured the essence of the figures very well!

and ashess
    , cute baby drawings!

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kayness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hay everyone
    A few from my life drawing session today.

Shinin - Lots of good stuff, I especially love the forms in #9 and the hentai grrls OC
    darkops - those thumbs are awesome. The gestures are quite small, but I guess they read so what do I know.
    Kayness - the ugly fish is really cool. The negative space stuff is really interesting.
    Adrian - dope studies cool subjects

srry guys if I'm brief/vague, or I missed you. Its cold here and I want bed. bye fo now

- [- ------------- ---------- ---- - SketchbooK- - ------------ -----------------

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Obacmar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    not all the pictures i posted are showing for some reason...

Thanks
    kayness: it happens to me some times as well, three reasons, the board is over loaded
    with people posting at the same time as you. Your browser settings could be messed up,
    Opera on Turbo mode mashes posed images up, not sure but firefox has compatibilty issues with certain sites
    and lastly your Internet provider is overloaded so your given less priority. maybe who knows LOL

more to come . . . . .

Name:  Marvel_studies_faces_AvsX.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  182.9 KB

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    haha! so my new scanner came in the mail and im all excited and all to get it working. then my husband hooks up the old one to his laptop.. it's fine :/
    oh well, at least my bro's happy with a new scanner!

cats. (from real life cat)

Name:  scan0615.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  44.9 KB
    Name:  scan0616.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  51.9 KB
    you know, from back when eveyone was doing them here.. ye.

girl and doe (by heart)
    Name:  scan0617.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  53.1 KB

action! (by heart)
    Name:  scan0613.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  46.5 KB

@ Adrian- supah! haha. recognise some there. why do you draw comics btw? are you gonna make you own?
    @obacmar- life drawing? I love the dark pencil. not sure about the 'new way of holding your pencil' yet, but it's important to try!
    @kayness- thanks that one was a bit meager an entry here but what can I do? draw more tomorrow I guess!

Last edited by ashess; March 6th, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
    >>mah tumbr

50. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Obacmar View Post
    Lots of good stuff, I especially love the forms in #9 and the hentai grrls OC
    What do you mean? What hentai girls? I put so much stuff here, I won't be able to tell what you called like that.

ashess: Nice things are going on in your sketches, I really dig several cat sketches. There are flows but there are nice "messy" gestures (I mean, not clean and steril but lively, pros do that too and it's cool).
    No, I wanna do that painting I feel so brave now. I have to get out of my comfort zone, it's nothing new, so why not to make a big jump?

kayness: It's Bouguereau: La jeunesse de Bacchus. I find it interesting enough, I probably won't lose patience for a long time

Out of my comfort zone (heads from different angles!), I was oh so rusty with digitals but I warmed up a bit ~ I will redo the first one but it's a bit informative.

Bad jpeg quality happened on poor heads - and my anime bunch, they are kinda useless copyworks but cute and I will reshot them tomorrow

Thanks
    darkops you are doing great on the gestures and land studies, just don't overdo it so you don't have fun, the important thing is consistency, I think

about the tutorial,
    I will look into it, but setting things up for recording, streaming is a pain. (running ubuntu)

shiNIN You are rocking this Spartan Camp,looking forward to your master study.

kayness Great animals study

eclip-se here there are 100/ 60 sec

53. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinC For This Useful Post:

Thanks

.....---

Just some doodles from imagination, messy and loose maybe a 1 min each, I have no patience lately. The little doodle book lives in my pocket and I love it!

shiNIN - Yeah you do put so much stuff here, slow down... JK. Hey man no offense intended, I love Hentai. (top of pg. 2) anyways the line quality in your digital work is quite nice (pg. 9), but there is a noticeable lack of hands throughout your work as of late.
    ashess - The Faceted feel to the kitties form is really cool. The girl and doe proportions are off her thighs in particular... My latest gestures are from a live model I attend the "life drawing" every Monday for 3 hours. Its the best ! and I encourage everyone in the universe to do it as much as they can.
    Adrian - The comic character busts are cool, but some can be deformed a tad. I suggest more construction lines to establish orientation / scale 1st. Dont worry if they show through Did I mention I love the details in your samurai's

- [- ------------- ---------- ---- - SketchbooK- - ------------ -----------------

Thanks
    not all the pictures i posted are showing for some reason...
    for me, in the previous post at least, none are!it doesnt even give a mising image tag. did you use the attachment manager to upload right into the thread?

@shinIn- you say 'I'm feeling so brave, but I gotto learn to blend'.
    I have to disagree. that particular one is blended plenty. it could use some crisper areas to accentuate them maybe- soft and sharp is always between contrasts.

>>mah tumbr

56. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5