Spartan Camp #216 - 50 gestures + Optional "Two week long Study" - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ashess View Post
    for me, in the previous post at least, none are!it doesnt even give a mising image tag. did you use the attachment manager to upload right into the thread?
    When I checked later they appeared just fine. It mightb e what Adrian said about the network being busy and stuff.. Thanks!

Shinin- great angles. you do the highlights so well! very bold and luscious strokes!

Obacmar
    - love your style and stylization and the construction lines that you used, esp the head on the bottom right, left page.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    been very busy to post, but will get around to giving everyone crits soon enough.

Heres my gestures, (uncounted but well over 50) and other studies. from the past few days.

Attached Images Attached Images            

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spartan Camp #216 - 50 gestures + Optional "Two week long Study"

I'm using coloured pencils and I'm kind of freaking out because of this. I havne't used traditional medium since 2005 for anything beyond sketches. Each time I lay a colour I constantly feel like I'm going to screw up or something o-O.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kayness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little-Maiden - lovely animal and people sketches! Great idea isolating each facial feature like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    MartinC: I'm really curious myself

Obacmar: I'm not offended at all, I just didn't know which ones you mean (and it didn't change, whatever) because I didn't draw hentai, no matter how we bend its meaning. At least I don't know about it.
    I don't like hentai, it's stupid at the very least. Hmpf. Well it still can be pretty sometimes. Rarely. If not every gal has balloons instead of boobs.

ashess: I do need learn how to blend. I use hard brushes, with not too low opacity, sometimes opacity sensitive ones and I keep drawing streaks when I try to blend... I think it's time to get serious and figure how it works. But I always had much more important things to practice.
    Soft and sharp... I've read about it but somehow I never did it Or not intentionally Again, I focused on bigger things and even forgot about such things.

kayness: Colored pencils? Well that sounds very brave to me... I need the forgiving nature of digitals for big works His left hand is a bit odd, slightly different angle and the gap between the thumb and index finger isn't right, maybe you can fix it, it's not a big difference. Apart from this, it seems pretty exact to me

The anime stuff, completely useless because I merely copied it (I practiced the tanuki though. racoon in English I guess). But I copied far worse in the past. My lines are better now.
    And a really tiny bit other stuff.
    I was busy today, then cold, I have a headache but I must start the Bouguereau study already...
    Well once, when I was more unskilled and still blocked, I drew a big part of a Bouguereau painting in Tegaki E, not the limited brushes (hard round, a few sizes, no pressure sensitivity), but the lack of skin colors was my problem (mix a very pale skin color using some totally not right grays and yellows and pinks, minimal opacity is 10%...) and I still did it
    So it must be kinda easy... Not counting my less than zero self discipline I want to draw everything else. I will do them as breaks in painting my optional I guess.

Blurb again. Sorry.

I used posemaniacs for the normal head and my optional ref for the rest except the cartoony head.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kayness Don't freak out about it, the paper can take it.
    Respekt for chosen technique.

Little-Maiden Love how you capture the volume in the animal gestures.

shiNIN You are tempting my to tray doing some chibis for fun to.

Started the master study, like the atmosphere in the original peace.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    uh, look at the time! all I got is babiez again.
    at least I got my OW done though :/ so its not like I didnt draw.
    Name:  scan0618.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  41.1 KB

Name:  scan0619.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  scan0620.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  59.5 KB

@kayness- in the sketch, its easy to tell you're feeling insecure; you're not really putting the pencil down, almost like you're afraid to touch the paper. the colored one is turning out ok regardless. though I feel there might have been some measurements a bit off. a bit late now to fix though. you cant really erase color pencils; shoulda done that right after the sketch.

@shiNin- well, I thought it blended rather well. all it's missing is a crisp edge to set it off :p

@MartinC- love how you're handling it so far!

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just had a huge revolution and had to share it with someone. I was talking to a friend who teaches human anatomy at a med school and spends a lot of time around dead human bodies. He began casually explaining how the pelvis actually sits way way tilted up by comparison to how it is often interpreted in a front on view.

Eg: pelvis in front view (me: what are those little wings doing? It kinds looks like a bowl):

Name:  A4pelvis.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  19.3 KB

Actual orientation of pelvis, better illustrated in side view (me: omfg!):

Name:  pelvislateral.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  37.4 KB

In case I'm not the only one with this confusion, I wanted to share

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zy. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zy.: good info, many bones act like that.

ashess: I love comics i have been collecting then for years
    i would one day like to work in that industry if possible.

Warmup from imagination not to intense
    and then some photo stuides and Hogarth studies
    not my best of days moving on to some photoshop work.
    will post my master study later,

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kinda pencil vs PS today. Pencil wins! But it was close.
    I went snowboarding and landed on my face and my brain injury might mean these are the last drawings I ever do..JK

shiNIN - lol I consider Sailor Moon and Urotsukidoji the same style. I guess "Hentai" implies more tentacle. The head on the top pg 35. is really nice simple proportioned, except the RT eye is a touch larger than the other.
    maiden - yea man . solid clean stuff and lots of it. The facial focus table is a real good idea, and the babies eye is cool.
    kayness - That is a real good start, you are brave to attempt this in colored pencil. Are they standard diameter?
    MartinC I already like your study better than the original.
    ashess nice quick studies with the fine tip. Im gunna go check out your COW.
    Adrian - the muscle studies are cool, I think you would rock the crap out of a Spiderman study

- [- ------------- ---------- ---- - SketchbooK- - ------------ -----------------

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Obacmar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I Wrote Too Much Again

New day, without headache and with an urge to draw my new crocuses (they are yellow/white/purple at the same time, how cool is that? I only had white, yellow, purple and yellow with tiny brow streaks till now). So I have nothing to show yet. If we don't consider my optional after the first hour.... It looks awful, of course My master studies always do but it's special, I barely sketched the figures, marking their position... And a bit foliage, I have nice own brushes for foliage.

Quote Originally Posted by Obacmar View Post
    lol I consider Sailor Moon and Urotsukidoji the same style. I guess "Hentai" implies more tentacle. The head on the top pg 35. is really nice simple proportioned, except the RT eye is a touch larger than the other.
    I barely know what Sailor Moon is (too Barbie-like to me and I hate Barbies with a passion, fortunately not even the wickedest aunts didn't happen to give me one when I was a kid. they still brought stupid dolls and I wanted toy cars, possibly red) but never heard of Urotsukidoji.
    Oh not always, there are other type of really stupid irrealistic hentai as well.
    Aww, don't sweat the small things, I would fix it if it wasn't a quick sketch at night. And it's good only because I used a ref My 3/4 heads are hit and miss right now.
    Your heads were kinda interesting last time but now they got better, more solid. Nice.

ashess: Okay, okay, Little-Maiden criticized that one too in my SB so I will work on those heads some more.
    It's funny how you are the weakest at front viewed baby faces, they are way the easiest to me. The somewhat back viewed (first) face looks cool.
    I like the baby with bowl ones too. You manage to express and show things with some little "messy" strokes, it's interesting to look at your stuff. (And you aren't a bad critic either, I noticed it long ago)
    Sometimes I just had to praise someone, sorry if I carried away

zy: Oh I have the second pic My pelvis breakthrough happened a few months ago, I collected zillion pelvis drawings and xrays and whatnot, from different angles. Yep, pelvis is tilted in a very confusing way, parts overlaps other parts and different angles don't even seem to be the same object either. The worst was studying pelvis differences between the genders because there's so much variety, a male and a woman can even have the same looking pelvis, it's rare but possible .

Whatever, here's my optional after the first hour:
    It gaves me ideas how to makea fun version of that painting... But I shouldn't realize them now

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sorry Obacmar but I don't understand your question about standard diameter. Do you mean the diameter of the colour pencils that I'm using?

o_o

thanks guys! i kind of have half a mind to uhhhhhh work it over in photoshop right now x_x

Shinin - looks good so far! ahhhhg MULTIPLE figures. You're brave.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to kayness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so degas. totally not intimidating. also, suddenly wanted to do pencil.

Name:  scan0621.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  68.8 KB

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm nowhere near as dedicated as you guys. These threads really inspire me to do more studies. And what I realised today is that I should do more studies, because every study offered a problem. It was quite educational; will try to hit the 50 gesture mark if I can.

Right now the count's at 10 gestures. The study is forthcoming, although the chance for it to be two-week long is no more, unfortunately.

The first one is a study off Brad Rigney/Cryptcrawler.

Sketchbooks

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vritra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Vritra- well, some of us are hardcore and some not-so. haha! your gestures are worth 5 of mine though; I would rather call them finished drawing actually nice stuff; I particularly like how different they all are.

wanted to share my pages for Pow. I think they're ok here since they're all gesture sketches so far.

adding my drawings too in a minute. need to scan
    continued on the degas about half an hour. already sick of it. heh. ill try and push to continue.

Name:  scan0622.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  84.3 KB

some kids from foto ref:
    Name:  scan0623.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  scan0624.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  39.7 KB

@Shinin- I think my faces go wrong when I try for a likelyness. I get like that especially with a frontal shot. tried just getting the expressions this time.

@obacmar- I think you're turning into a caricature artist!

@adrian- tough industry. especially these days indy or webcomics are more do-able. still, it's a worthwhile goal. nice Lions btw.

Last edited by ashess; March 9th, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
    >>mah tumbr

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SC_216

Hey guys, first time posting in here, but I've looked through a couple of the past threads.. finally got round to giving it a go. Couldnt do the 2week study because I only saw this yesterday.. so.. here are mine..
    I have a couple of questions if thats okay? Like in anything over a 3minute gesture I get lost at what to do. Like.. Under 3min, thats fine, show the line of action, the flow, the positioning, the lighting, other bits and pieces, but after you rough that in what do you do next? Especially in 5minute, 10minute and 20minute gestures (if there is such a thing). Would a 20minute gesture just become the beginnings of a rendering?
    Sorry to be such a noob :3

Anyway heres mine, pixelovely 30sec, and then stills from the Assassins Creed Revelations trailer. Will do the rest today/tomorrow.

DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start Jaik, the Spartans Camp is just

On the time I would say until 5, 10 mins is a gesture, depends how much time you need, to get the pose, volume down on paper. After that I think its a study.

Here are same hands.
    drawing ref: 0033

and the MP study WIP

32. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished the rest of the obligatory stuff, because I'm already getting bored.
    Not even bothered with the quality.
    Great pencilwork, Vritra!

Sketchbook

''The problem with quotes from the internet is that it is difficult to verify their authenticity'' - Abraham Lincoln

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guardian G.I. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, I'm joining this camp. I have to admit that I'm very intimidated by the work everyone has been putting in here. And I'm new to this, so, even more so. I have managed complete 10 gesture studies till now, but I am not sure if I'll be able to reach anywhere near the 50 mark.

Most of these studies have been made from a book on figure drawing by Victor Ambrus. I really want to improve since this is my first effort, and I would sincerely request everyone to criticise these.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aishani For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay new faces! Welcome, Jaikand Aishani. To the latter person: you don't have any reason to be intimidated... You even has some skills but a complete noob should come without worrying about anything too. It's about to practice and get better, not comparing ourselves to each other (we totally do that, though it's difficult because we are all different ).
    Another thing, Aishani: Watch the balance. A standing figure put their weight on the feet so the center of weight projected into the floor must be between the feet (or inside the projection of a foot if almost/all the weight is on that very foot). Hopefully I'm understandable, complicated explanations in English isn't my thing.

Hey people, nothing to show at the moment, I wasn't in good shape and just worked on my Bouguereau, I will post it when I finish positioning the figure sketches and won't have wrong colors here and then Over 4 hour, it's not very far and then I will start rendering, yay!

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

mmmmm!

Speaking of hardcore, lets do a bargue next time!

>>mah tumbr

40. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aishani - just do really quick ones, like 2-5 mins. I think at this moment you are very concerned about getting everything perfect. Try to get the essence of the figures down, like, basic structures and stuff down. I think setting yourself the time limit will make you improve quickly (in terms of quality and speed).

42. The Following User Says Thank You to kayness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for those interested- drawing by someone else showing what a gesture should be. http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...ction#/d4n7qws

so. color practice. I suck at colors...
    Name:  colors.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  79.8 KB

and then I played with our new slate.
    this ones from yesterday.
    Name:  image_2012-03-07_235749.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  45.6 KB

these from today.
    Name:  031012_193919.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  91.1 KB

Name:  031012_194449.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  031012_194206.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  94.6 KB

think im getting the hang of it here
    Name:  image_2012-03-10_195757.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  57.4 KB
    (all from a live and un-aware model ofc )

@Jaik- welcome. you use a spine-line in your figures; very good! make sure the shapes of the chest and hips are placed in the 3-dimensional plain next.

@ martinC -love those hands. nice and structured. even the simplivied once have a strong sense of dimensions. the study, girls face looks abit wierd right now.

@ Guardian -nice and loose but indeed you did a half-ass job on a few, finishing a nice gesture with a 'oh and ye legs'. dont draw it if you dont feel its worth a shit :p just leave those parts out if you have to.

@Ashani- hello and welcome! some very nice work here I expect they are from foto? I do have to say it point of gestures, is to get the first stage of the drawing right- putting down you spinal colum and the position of head, chest, pelvis and hands-feet. I think you mighta skipped that part and moved right into the rendering of muscles etc.

>>mah tumbr

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to everyone for looking through my stuff and telling me how to improve. Partly because of that, I decided to put in a few hours more into drawing, and came up with this post.

shiNIN- Thank you so much for encouraging me. As to balance, I'm constantly keeping that in mind now, though I tried to ensure it in the previous post too. Just goes on to show that I need a lot more practice.

kayness- Thanks, really. That helped me a lot. I was trying to put in all these things and not thinking about the essence at all. I tried loosely timing myself this time.

ashess- I must say that I'm grateful to you for pointing out how to do gestures, as kayness did. I tried to do it this time. See if it's any good. As to the last post, some were photos, and some were not. They came from a book by Victor Ambrus, as I mentioned before. I just copied them.

The first one was already made by the time everyone commented, so it's like the previous ones. The second and third ones are where I've tried to keep in mind all the points while drawing. And the count as of now is 25.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Aishani For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there. I just stumbled upon this great forum and wooah - this is something that I really need, a little motivation! I assume this challange is for anybody, so here are my first 10 figures. C:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashess, I really don't deserve any of that. Your work is great, and we're all growing as people. I guess that's what the Spartan Camp is about.

Guardian G.I., thank you, I'm glad you think so. You're doing pretty great, considering you're 'not even bothered with quality'. Keep updating.

Aishani, it's great to see you updating. Since I am aware of the difficulties you face in pursuing art, I am doubly glad that you decided to participate here. The work is looking good, you're already improving, I can see that much. Also, keep in mind what shiNIN and kayness told you, they both gave solid advice. Especially the advice about timing your work.
    To go with that, I heard Jason Manley say some time back that it's important at the beginning to take your time while studying, and concentrating on getting things right. Speed and a vast body of work will come with time. Referring to the (rather out of context) example of food production, one must remember that when population exceeds the amount of food production in society, there are two ways to go (other than mass genocide) - either expand the area of land under cultivation, or cultivate the same area of land intensively (ie, use manure, crop rotation and the like). Now, no one method is better than the other. Rather, a balance must be struck between the two.
    So, yeah, keep that in mind, and keep the artworks coming.

So I did some 30 second gesture studies today. If I am correct, I did 250 of them. A little more than two hours, whatever the math.

I really had to stop because my brain had gone on overdrive, and I was basically running on auto-pilot after 200 or so.

The count is at 260 gestures for me. I will be starting the longer study soon.

Sketchbooks

49. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vritra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aishani -ye you nailed m there very good. next thing (ah, and I try to think of something even with the best drawings) I notice is a lot of figures seem to be off-balanced.I think Shinin already said something like that. try and get the center of grafity in between the resting points (feet, or when sitting ass, knees etc.)

consone -welcome; you assumened right! very nice lighting on those figures there. are these from photo ref?
    one thing im missing, is some indication of the face. it's just an empty egg now. just a nose or something would do.

vritra-haha, dont worry. I dont have a self-asteem problem..or maybe just a little too cocky sometimes. I just meant, I'm really messy and fast, and you really went all out on those before. I dont know how long they took, but it seemed at least 15 min a piece to me.'
    and wow, look at you go this time. that is a LOT of figures. and the last are not even that much more rushed then the first. good job! I am missing hands and feet though.

yo, today was a WONDERFULL day! -excuse the excitement. it's SPRING -I just cant seems to stop myself sorry. also, my son has finally reached that happy age where we can go out and I can let him run around and play around me and he pretty much stays close and out of trouble so I can DRAW! (there I went again)
    my daugther isnt that far yet, but she seems content to crawl around the ground and go after whatever, so I just have to stop her from getting into too much trouble every few minutes. it means I cant really loose myself in drawing, but it's good enough for quick sketching.
    we went to our horses- which means it's pretty save, as long as I keep an eye out neither of the kids go to far off. so had great fun drawing horses, and playing kids for a few hours. and now they;re off to bed and I've got even more drawies times. yay!

oh right. first 2 are still @ home.

Name:  _MG_5561.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  85.6 KB
    Name:  _MG_5562.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  72.7 KB

Name:  _MG_5560.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  _MG_5563.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  _MG_5564.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  91.6 KB

Name:  _MG_5565.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  110.5 KB

>>mah tumbr

51. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I totally wussed out and fixed this in photoshop. i know there are still some proportional issues but i'll fixed that later. i think working digitally has made me so spoiled....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vritra: Oh. My. God. Well I know it's theoretically quite possible to draw zillion figures spending not extremely much time but I never reached the level when I can draw any in one hour at will... Sometimes it's easier, sometimes impossible. But it's my own problem.
    How can you draw for a long time without feeling the need to stop? I can do it only when I work on a single stuff I like

ashess: Nice horses! There's a pony nearby, I should draw him when the weather will be warm enough, I can't draw with ice cold hands.

I totally neglected my optional, there's a huge art/life crisis in my life too, I didn't do much anyway. So I need to put this here:
    I worked on the boy today as well, it just got worse. I kinda got shocked how stucked I am still and kinda lose all my remained self confidence and will to do anything. Years of negative things did their work but as I always say, I'm epically suck at giving up. But I need to change how I try to draw. Still, brushes are so totally not like my pencils

EDIT: Well, I guess I kinda finished the positioning phase. Some colors and the foliage is off but it will be the funny 'rendering' phase from now on
    It won't be this very messy and mixed forever.
    It took a bit below 5 hours to get this, I think. It took a lot of time to put it next to the original and try to figure out what goes where... I simply couldn't see it.
    It's 25% of the original size, I started to work in 25%, then came 50%... When I start to render, I will use 100% at least I have no idea what size will I post I shouldn't mess up every topic I put it in... Its resolution is 2578x1404

Last edited by shiNIN; March 11th, 2012 at 07:57 PM.

54. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vritra That's insane, do 250 / 30 sec, I need to try the same thing , but my hands are to slow.

master study wip,glossed over with multiply layer to get better colors and some refinement

some more hands

ref: this guys anatomy drawings
    (he also explains some stuff, but damn I don't understand Japanese)

56. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinC For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4