European(English Speaking) Art Schools

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

European(English Speaking) Art Schools

Hey! I am a freshman at Pratt Institute of Arts and I'm finishing up my Spring semester this may. Now I love the programs offered here at Pratt but I've been feeling extremely uncomfortable about the living situation and my social scene. It's not that I don't have friends, I have a lot but I just feel a bits seperated mostly I think because I am too close to home (An hour train ride). It's too easy to go back especially when I have a girlfriend living there. I want to restart a bit and try something new. Now It may be too late to apply to anything Fall Semester but I'm hoping to maybe leave for the next Spring Semester.

My intention was to study illustration here at Pratt so I've actually been looking at schools in Europe. I already know what schools are up for offer in America and I wanted to broaden my search. I was wondering if anybody knew of any schools that might be good for my major. I also wanted to a find a school that had a dorm system because I know some of the schools I looked at offered no such thing. Other than that I also like schools with more options of non-art classes because I love to learn which Pratt certainly doesn't have.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took a quick peek at the european universities not too long ago while searching for an uni to apply on. Sadly I didn't dwell into it too much since my interest was in north america, but your best bet would probably still be Britain.

Non-english speaking countries' goverment funded unis hardly ever offer bachelor's degree in english, just masters and up. If you aren't considering Britain, then you most probably have to find a private school.

Conduct your own research too though, I might be totally wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/artcolleges/ there's a quite comprehensive list of European art schools here, they don't state if English taught programs are available though;
    (in case with Russian schools, for example, English teaching is non-existent and faculty members generally have no handling of foreign languages at all);
    I was looking at the UK (classy, but cash), France (either mediocre or see UK, also not much English options), Netherlands (mediocre) and Finland (either mediocre or Finnish-only or, in many cases, both); there are a few atelier-type of schools, one in Sweden will probably be the best choice in terms of price/quality of education,
    but I'm pretty sure their degrees won't be recognized anywhere.
    I was under impression that NA or Canada have more options atm, and there's certainly more information about North-American schools online, not to mention lack of language barrier.
    Europe will be cheaper in terms of living though, unless you're planning to live in London.

Last edited by ikken; March 2nd, 2012 at 01:44 AM.
    on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For illustration programs I think USA is your best bet.
    I havent found any good ones here at least.
    Its possible theres some in UK..

http://www.artrenewal.org/pages/ateliermap.php
    Approved ateliers
    they all cost about 10 000 euro per year.
    You get some kind of degree, but as i understand it, its not bachelor or anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    France (either mediocre or see UK
    You don't know nothing about french schools do you?

Beaux arts de Paris : 400 euro per year
    Art déco Paris : 400 euro per year
    Art deco Strasbourg : 400 euro per year

Mediocre? Say that to Matisse, Degas or César. Beaux arts de Paris is one of the most reknown schools in the world. A lot of foreign students, the teachers are well known artists and even though these schools were more fine arts schools, they are now leaning more towards design, illustration, graphic design...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cariboubouh View Post
    Mediocre? Say that to Matisse, Degas or César.
    Why? They will not listen, and if they do, they will not respond: they are dead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    exactly so just don't say anything =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cariboubouh View Post
    You don't know nothing about french schools do you?

Beaux arts de Paris : 400 euro per year
    Art déco Paris : 400 euro per year
    Art deco Strasbourg : 400 euro per year

Mediocre? Say that to Matisse, Degas or César. Beaux arts de Paris is one of the most reknown schools in the world. A lot of foreign students, the teachers are well known artists and even though these schools were more fine arts schools, they are now leaning more towards design, illustration, graphic design...
    I PMed a French person I know on DA, and her basic response was that there're enough schools in the region, but they're either expensive (9k euro/yr and up), or too contemporary, with not enough practice. that goes under "mediocre".
    she also mentioned Art deco Strasbourg, as very hard to get into.

now to keep this smh relevant to Op's post, how many schools you've posted have English programs.

as an added bonus, I'd love to see your student work - you'll have enough time convincing your future employers that Matisse would survive in commercial illustration market today.
    (I already love that you're apparently applying to Sheridan yourself. why there, not the flawless 400 euro French schools?)

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.