Art: I need help MOVING ON - crits welcome

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation I need help MOVING ON - crits welcome

Hi, I'm Stephanie all the way from Costa Rica and I desperately need help and advice with my portfolio. I'm not a student anymore but I don't consider myself a pro either, and I want my freaking name on the little squares on top (tough chance, i know, but i gotta try)

So here goes... (and I'm freeeeaaaaking scared of what you guys gotta say)

I need help MOVING ON - crits welcome

my complete portfolio here http://stephaniehcr.daportfolio.com/

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the childrens illustrations and the black and white drawing quite a bit other than her odd face. The first image I don't like to look at. The colour of her hair and large eyes are quite unpleasant to me.. but I've never been a big fan of charicatures. I also don't really like the watercolour piece because his face and clothing are flat while the hands look 3d. I like the hand and think it would look better if the whole image followed that look.

Looking at your website, you have a LOT of work on there. It makes it confusing for art directors to see what they are buying, especially with all of the different styles you use. In your personal folder alone, the styles seem to be somewhat consistent but then you have an anime piece in there which doesn't relate to anything. I would take out things like that. Let me know if you want me to go into more detail as I see more that are bringing your portfolio down.
    Two things to keep in mind: Keep only your strongest work in the portfolio, and try not to confuse art directors by so many different styles.

Hope this helps

edit: another tip. In some of your digital work it looks like you use the blur and dodge tools too much. You should paint the shadows and highlights in rather than using those tools, it just looks unprofessional and unrealistic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey bytheoak, you're right, maybe I am all over the place... :/ about the blur and dodge tool, actually I don't use them at all now (maybe I did in older drawings... hmmm)
    I'm gonna work on it and the post again for more critique.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Naneel; March 1st, 2012 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The portfolio is good looking (i fear that you cannot be taken seriously using deviantart however, it's common sense lol, jokes apart you should own your domain... it feels a lot more professional).

Anyway the question is, who do you want to be? Do you want to become an illustrator, do you want to simply enhance your art? If i know your goals i can tell you my point

In general tooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much work for a portfolio, you don't have to put in there every finished work you do, only 10 to 30 of your really best work. There are a lot of weak works though, the only thing that catches my eyes are your linework. Seems that you have a lot of patience for that but it's spent in the wrong way that too.

So, what's your goal?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Naneel View Post
    hey bytheoak, you're right, maybe I am all over the place... :/ about the blur and dodge tool, actually I don't use them at all now (maybe I did in older drawings... hmmm)
    I'm gonna work on it and the post again for more critique.

Thanks a lot!

In your japanese forest picture it looked a bit like that. It just looks photoshoppy if that makes sense, with the glowing balls and lack of colour shifts. I like the black and white sketch of it much more. In the game pictures with the sleeping girl I can see it too, you used the airbrush tool there a lot which I am guessing is an older piece as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bytheoak View Post
    In your japanese forest picture it looked a bit like that. It just looks photoshoppy if that makes sense, with the glowing balls and lack of colour shifts. I like the black and white sketch of it much more. In the game pictures with the sleeping girl I can see it too, you used the airbrush tool there a lot which I am guessing is an older piece as well.
    yes, those are oooold as hell... my mistake is to let them step into my portfolio... :/ oh, and that was my first and only painter attempt.

i should remove that one, right? tehehe...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hitsu san.... what do I want....?

Well that's a pretty good question :/ which I'm still figuring out myself.

I want... let's see.... I want to do amazing serious illustrations and stop making games for children. Unfortunately, it's what brings food to my table, but as of today I'm gonna fill my portfolio with new stuff and I'd be very happy if you could help me with critique in my sketchbook. I just started it.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=237937

My impossible dream is to work in videogames.. U know, the cool ones and to that... man.... it's a long way to the top.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so let's move on from the portfolio, forget about that. Use that stuff for your current work and aim to make a new one. I can help you for sure, i'm going to answer directly to your sketchbook.

Members who have read this thread: 2