Intuos 5 - Touch

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Intuos 5 - Touch

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Intuos 5 - Touch

Hi! I had the opportunity to play with the new Intuos 5 touch Small in the past days. I was under NDA and this is why I couldn’t post anything before today.
    Basically you have the same pen technology of the Intuos 4 with added touch (not on all model). You can use the same pens that you were using on the Intuos 4.
    I made a short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uholvixLFIg to show what this touch support can do inside Photoshop (after 10 sec of customization in the drivers).
    I will be happy to answer your questions about this product and I will soon give you the link to a review with other picture and video.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VitOne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VitOne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your thoughts. I'm considering upgrading to an Intuos5 medium from my Intuos4 medium for the touch features. I plan on migrating early to Windows 8, which will make great use of touch, and I think the Intuos5 will be a great complement to it, in addition to its already great creative applications.

I'd like to see some videos/demonstrations of people using it with the new Windows 8 Consumer Preview to see how it interacts with all the new Windows 8 touch features.

Is this something you'd be interested in attempting for review purposes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment. I can’t promise anything but a review with Windows 8 sounds interesting to me. I will see what I can do. In my opinion touch technology offers great potential and Wacom hardware is very advanced. If implemented in the right way inside the software this approach could be a useful innovation for computer users.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thinking about either getting the medium touch or a discounted intuos4 to compliment my cintiq 21ux 2nd gen. If you want to know why it is because sometimes the hand in the way bothers and sometimes I am out and about using a laptop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes yes YESSSSSS!!!!!!! Finally, Wacom stopped ripping us off with the buy a whole new stylus set business model.....I am so proud of them, I think I'm gonna cry LOL
    An option to add on wireless via a small dongle/battery pack......I've been posting and talking about that since 09'. RF? Extra batteries? EXCELLENT MOVE!!!!! LOL I love it!!!!
    Multitouch? Can I rotate my canvas on the fly while sketching in Painter/Pshop? Please say it's so, I'm excited to find out
    I wasn't able to secure tickets for SD Comic-Con this year, they sent the dam email less than 24hrs before they went on sale and I was way too busy Fri/Sat with customers to check, but this news right here made my day completely and turned a frown upside down I cannot WAIT to try this out

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wait, are you sure that they have changed the whole surface eating away at the nib problem?? From what i gather, the drawing surface is still the same and the pens from the intuos 4 are also still usable.
    Can anyone here please confirm if this is the case?
    I've been holding off from buying the intuos 4 because i dont have disposable income to keep on buying nibs every three days. If this is still the case, i guess ill look for another brand. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by VitOne View Post
    Thanks for the comment. I can’t promise anything but a review with Windows 8 sounds interesting to me. I will see what I can do. In my opinion touch technology offers great potential and Wacom hardware is very advanced. If implemented in the right way inside the software this approach could be a useful innovation for computer users.
    Seems odd to me that no one here has a mac.
    Does the mac version already have the touch technology? Or is that something that's coming in the new OS?

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ macbooks/mbpros have been shipped with multitouchy touchpads for a few years already.
    I only dig scrolling with 2 fingers tbh, but I hate everything gesture based a lot;
    apple sort of flawlessly implemented a counter-intuitive feature on the OS level;
    I don't know if photoshop is supporting multitouch atm.

from my understanding, wacom aren't relying on OS-provided gesture tools for i5, since they have an additional service running in the background on windows to provide m-touch.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just ordered my large, to replace my current i4 Large. For me the main selling points are the pen surface (much improved over the i4's nib-eating monster -- as this surface can no longer be changed by the user, Wacom was likely forced to go back to the smooth surface we all know and love from the i3); and the Wireless capabilities (I owned an i4 Wireless, but was not happy with the Bluetooth connectivity, and changing between the Large and Wireless models during certain workflows).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the surface is the same that started coming with 2010 Intuos 4 "active area overlay surface" sheet, supposed to fix it but didn't. I want to upgrade from my old Graphire 3 which never had to change nibs until now (about 7 years of use) and I5 came out just as I was going to get I4. Now I don't know what to do... not sure if I4's express keys are more helpful or I5's. Probably should wait for more reviews, but I'm happy you can turn off Touch if you want.
    For the people who like the sandpapery texture though, once that surface wears out and becomes slippery, there's no way to replace it unless you ordered a non-Touch model. I read on Wacom forums they'll offer a way to replace it later on, I wonder how and at what price though?
    By the way, thanks for the review VitOne, and for for clarifying a question I had on your Youtube video.

Last edited by Elciled; March 5th, 2012 at 02:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Holydivered7 View Post
    Wait, are you sure that they have changed the whole surface eating away at the nib problem?? From what i gather, the drawing surface is still the same and the pens from the intuos 4 are also still usable.
    Can anyone here please confirm if this is the case?
    I've been holding off from buying the intuos 4 because i dont have disposable income to keep on buying nibs every three days. If this is still the case, i guess ill look for another brand. Thanks in advance.
    The surface is the same surface of the Intuos 4 “post-2010” (Intuos 4 surface was changed during 2010, but the nib wearing problem remains). The same material. Wacom confirmed this and it is also written in the review. I noticed the same nib wearing problem that I had on my Intuos 4. Anyway, after the first weeks of use, the surface should become smoother (I noticed this on the Intuos 4) and the nib will start to last longer (although they will never last as long as on a Cintiq or on a Intuos 3). This is the down-side of having a high-sensitivity and paper-like surface. Possible solutions are: buy some nibs, use an Intuos 3, use a “surface guard” in plastic material, use a sheet of paper or other non-abrasive material on the top of your tablet while using it. The majority of the user do prefer to have a paper-like surface and to change nibs (they don’t cost so much to be a problem). If you don’t like this situation let Wacom know with an email or a phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by philofmars View Post
    Seems odd to me that no one here has a mac.
    Does the mac version already have the touch technology? Or is that something that's coming in the new OS?
    I have more than one Mac workstation, including a MacBook Air, and the Intuos 5 is working fine. I didn’t test it too much because I work more in Windows. Maybe I will make a video and a short review for Mac users too, telling the differences, if I can find some.

Quote Originally Posted by commonmind View Post
    I just ordered my large, to replace my current i4 Large. For me the main selling points are the pen surface (much improved over the i4's nib-eating monster -- as this surface can no longer be changed by the user, Wacom was likely forced to go back to the smooth surface we all know and love from the i3); and the Wireless capabilities (I owned an i4 Wireless, but was not happy with the Bluetooth connectivity, and changing between the Large and Wireless models during certain workflows).
    I can’t understand why people is sure that Wacom has changed the surface. This is from my review (link in the second message of the discussion):

Wacom didn’t change the material that is used for the tablet surface. This material was made after years of studies and research. What Wacom engineer wanted was a material that, used in combination with the different nibs, can give the best possible drawing experience. I like the material but I don’t like how fast the nib run out when you use it. I have to say that the nib wearing will be much more slow after the few weeks of use. You have to “run in” the tablet. Personally I prefer the feeling of the 24HD surface, but this is really a matter of personal taste. I think that I'll soon make a new post on the blog with more details regarding the nib wearing.

Please notice that the part in bold is in bold also in the review. Please notice that the part in bold is in bold also in the review. If you need more details about the surface you should call or email Wacom and ask them directly. They have a really nice support team and maybe they can also tell you where to find a demo unit. The new wireless should be a great improvement over the old wireless module. The only downside that I can see is that you need an USB port for the “dongle”.

Quote Originally Posted by Elciled View Post
    I think the surface is the same that started coming with 2010 Intuos 4 "active area overlay surface" sheet, supposed to fix it but didn't. I want to upgrade from my old Graphire 3 which never had to change nibs until now (about 7 years of use) and I5 came out just as I was going to get I4. Now I don't know what to do... not sure if I4's express keys are more helpful or I5's. Probably should wait for more reviews, but I'm happy you can turn off Touch if you want.
    For the people who like the sandpapery texture though, once that surface wears out and becomes slippery, there's no way to replace it unless you ordered a non-Touch model. I read on Wacom forums they'll offer a way to replace it later on, I wonder how and at what price though?
    By the way, thanks for the review VitOne, and for for clarifying a question I had on your Youtube video.
    You are welcome !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I can’t understand why people is sure that Wacom has changed the surface. This is from my review (link in the second message of the discussion):

Wacom didn’t change the material that is used for the tablet surface. This material was made after years of studies and research. What Wacom engineer wanted was a material that, used in combination with the different nibs, can give the best possible drawing experience. I like the material but I don’t like how fast the nib run out when you use it. I have to say that the nib wearing will be much more slow after the few weeks of use. You have to “run in” the tablet. Personally I prefer the feeling of the 24HD surface, but this is really a matter of personal taste. I think that I'll soon make a new post on the blog with more details regarding the nib wearing.

Please notice that the part in bold is in bold also in the review. If you need more details about the surface you should call or email Wacom and ask them directly. They have a really nice support team and maybe they can also tell you where to find a demo unit. The new wireless should be a great improvement over the old wireless module. The only downside that I can see is that you need an USB port for the “dongle”.
    First, while it may have been the second message in the thread, I was only responding to your original post and therefore hadn't read your review.

As for my comments on the tablet surface, I had read some initial impressions that stated the surface had been improved. While I would have liked my smooth surface back, further reading has shown that this was not the case. If you're wondering why people made similar assumptions, it was likely due to reading these same sources of information, as post-announcement there were only a few resources available to folks looking for impressions/reviews.

I don't mind the "downside" of the new wireless module, so long as the latency and general performance of the wireless capabilities have been improved.

Sadly, I cannot test any of these features as my tablet is on backorder until this coming week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by commonmind View Post
    First, while it may have been the second message in the thread, I was only responding to your original post and therefore hadn't read your review.

As for my comments on the tablet surface, I had read some initial impressions that stated the surface had been improved. While I would have liked my smooth surface back, further reading has shown that this was not the case. If you're wondering why people made similar assumptions, it was likely due to reading these same sources of information, as post-announcement there were only a few resources available to folks looking for impressions/reviews.

I don't mind the "downside" of the new wireless module, so long as the latency and general performance of the wireless capabilities have been improved.

Sadly, I cannot test any of these features as my tablet is on backorder until this coming week.
    I was surprised because I don’t know any other source that wrote that the Intuos 5 is an “updated” version of the Intuos 4. If possible I’d like you to link me your source, thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was surprised because I don’t know any other source that wrote that the Intuos 5 is an “updated” version of the Intuos 4. If possible I’d like you to link me your source, thanks!
    Apologies Vita. I don't check these forums often enough. Unfortunately I can't find the original article I referenced, but it was posted on the day of the announcement and included a video of hands on impressions, with a Wacom rep standing by to answer questions (I believe this article is the one that made commentary on the surface).

Now that we're a ways into the launch, it's likely that initial article has been pushed quite a bit down the search results page, as I haven't been able to locate it. ( Egg on my face )

I'm still awaiting my backordered I5 Large, and am starting to feel quite a bit anxious about getting it in my hands, and hesitant as well, because of some of the issues being described here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have more than one Mac workstation, including a MacBook Air, and the Intuos 5 is working fine. I didn’t test it too much because I work more in Windows. Maybe I will make a video and a short review for Mac users too, telling the differences, if I can find some.

I was just curious as to if touch works fine on a mac with the newer OS or if it's just as buggy. I know we have windows problems til 8 comes out, but macs have been using touch for a couple OS versions already, and wondered if it worked better on macs at least. Thanks arshes, for left handed reviews! I need to know that too.

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'll add some photos. Oh, almost forgot to note, yes the pens from the 4 work on the 5. I had a 1st gen Art Pen and it works fine. Well rather it picks it up right now haven't done longer testing with it. Rotation works in CS4 and CS5 with gestures. The Touch ring seems to be settling down. I don't know why this seems to be a common theme where the drivers are rather unstable at first. It's like it needs some time to get adjusted or something?

I still am having issues with the gestures, but I'll be tweaking my settings when I have more time.

ignore the curious hammy she just wants a biscuit.
    Intuos 5 box
    http://i42.tinypic.com/23sj3et.jpg
    Intuos 5 - Touch

This is the USB cable. The problem I have is that left hand orientation will cause the cable to be positioned towards you and causing a curve/kink in the cable due to the direction it will be positioned vs a right handed orientation.
    http://i40.tinypic.com/mmrczk.jpg
    Intuos 5 - Touch

USB port and where the wireless is positioned. Sorry for the grainy photo the lighting in my room isn't spectacular right now. Intuos 4 large is in the background
    http://i41.tinypic.com/wr21w.jpg
    Intuos 5 - Touch

I'll try to go for a better picture later, but here is the intuos3 compared to an intuos 5 medium. I will say the build is better than the 3. It's slimmer and the space is better utilized. The rubber surface though, is more "gunk" prone.
    http://i43.tinypic.com/90yo40.jpg
    Intuos 5 - Touch

Last edited by Arshes Nei; March 13th, 2012 at 09:31 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If anyone has ordered the Medium Touch, could you let us know the dimensions of the entire surface area (active + non-active)?

From what I gather, the surface of the Intuos5 is not replaceable by the user and must be taken back to Wacom's service centre. Although they will only charge a "nominal fee" for this, I'm considering getting a screen protector of some sort so I won't have to go through the hassle. On the other hand, this would also mean that I would not be able to take advantage of the 5's texture, which early reviews indicate is pretty nice:

http://fstoppers.com/review-an-in-de...acom-intuos5-2

//Edit: for anyone interested, the total surface area for the Intuos5 M measures 11in x 7.5in

Last edited by sylv; March 7th, 2012 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just bumping this because I noticed the reviews for this are not so stellar?

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos5-...owViewpoints=1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think the Touch drivers are ready - there's lag when rotating in Photoshop, and for standard gestures in programs, performance is inconsistent.

If anyone's in the market for an Intuos and is looking to save a few bucks, I'd recommend the Intuos4 range simply because the Intuos5 doesn't deliver on the main feature it purports to add. Moreover, pressure sensitivity and core functionality on both are the same.

No doubt the feel, look, and experience is nicer on the 5 (e.g. slimmer, more responsive express keys, HUD, rubber texture, extended surface etc.). But that's about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm excited, I'm still anxiously awaiting this product, and I have to give Wacom credit for not being stingy with the features this time, but we all knew that those initial drivers were gonna bomb out in some way, mainly the touch. Still, think it's bad now, wait till MS drops Win8 in everyone's lap after totally revamping the multi-touch aspect at the last minute. No to mention the SP1 after all the Win8 complaints get addressed. Hopefully Wacom will get the inside track and be ready and ahead with an update of their own each launch.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have had the L for some days now and I love this thing. Upgrading from an Intuos 3, here are my points:

+ The Built quality is superb. No more squeaking!
    + Rubber finish is nicer than the high-gloss-finish of my old Intuos 3
    + The overall design is as sexy as it gets
    + The capacitive ExpressView helps me every day, esp. since I didn't use the ExpressKeys at all before and need some time getting used to using them
    + I have an A4+ sized touch pad now!
    + I can go wireless with their optional kit. Although I don't think I'll need that.
    + The drawing surface is a lot better than the smooth one from my old Intuos 3. This is a matter of taste, I guess. I like this surface.
    + I don't have sore fingers from holding the new pen as much as I did with the Intuos 3 pen. The size is better, too.
    + Some extra space around the active area! YAY!

- As stated, the touch capabilities are not perfectly implemented. This is a driver issue, but I've seen a lot of 3rd-party hardware emulate the native touch experience and they all failed. I don't think that this will be a lot better in any new version. The touch functions work, though.
    - The ExpressKeys are a little too hard to push down. Color-picking with one of the keys is a little hard on the fingers.
    - I hope the drawing surface holds out for a year or two before I have to replace it. It seems to be robust, so I'm not overly afraid.

That's all I can think of right now. Again, this is the best tablet I have ever owned. The touch might not sound like a big deal for people using a mouse, but for someone who has been using a trackpad for the past years, this means I could ditch the mouse altogether and just use the tablet. BIG. DEAL.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    - The ExpressKeys are a little too hard to push down. Color-picking with one of the keys is a little hard on the fingers.
    One reviewer measured the pressure - nearly 1.5lbs. Quite a lot.

http://painterfactory.com/forums/p/4...504.aspx#20504

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabo View Post
    - I hope the drawing surface holds out for a year or two before I have to replace it. It seems to be robust, so I'm not overly afraid.
    There's no way to replace it just yet, because of the touch. It's not an overlay sheet like the other tablets. (Unless you buy the non-touch medium version)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got my intuos 5 large today. FUCK YEAH

Packaging is real nice, and it feels like they put in some effort with the little details inside the box. A bit dusty though, I guess the cardboard material molds had a rough trip from Japan to South Africa and the dust shows up easily on all the black material.

I'm going to touch my Intuos 5 Touch tonight. I'm gonna touch it hard.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Fj Wepener For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahaa..

Just got the large in. Surface is definitely different than the intuos4 I had. Apparently the same as the revised i4, and it's nice. Haven't had any of the touch driver issues mentioned in the amazon reviews yet. I'm still on trusty ol' snow leopard though. Sensitivity feels close to the macbook trackpad. Since it's main purpose is drawing, there's more friction on the surface than the aluminum. Very slight difference in feel.

Materials are the best of any wacom product I've tried. Not so plastic. Very nice.

So far, so good. Going to put it through it's paces and will post any issues.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Almost same.
    I was expecting some alien technology.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The 1.5 lbs in her review is only for the touch wheel button. Still, because of the rubber layer, the express keys may also be harder to push than i4. Not sure. There's a difference between the ex. keys and the wheel button, though. They're more….clicky

I'm enjoying the build quite a bit and didn't notice this. However, someone who gets "arm cramps" in less than 30 minutes of using an intuos of any version probably has some pretty weak ass hands

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just bought a large intuos 5 and went all out and got the art pen to go with it. I've been using the small cintiq for the last few years but ultimately decided it wasn't for me. the screen was too small, got too hot under my hand, poor res, etc etc. I just found myself wishing I had my older intuos 3 that I sold to get the cintiq. A few co-workers at my last job had cintiq 21" but I didn't get much chance to play with them.
    Really looking forward to using the 5....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The source of confusion is because it is not always made clear which version of the Intuos4's surface was retained by the Intuos5.

It seems to be true that the Intuos5 has the same surface as the Intuos4 - that is, the Intuos4s that were produced after January 2010:

To address the nib wear that some customers previously reported, we introduced a new active area surface overlay with Intuos4 in January 2010. Intuos5 has this same proven overlay sheet.

Source: http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?pid=8011

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 9