Intuos 5 - Touch - Page 6

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Well the consideration is this for the intuos 4 or 5.

I first just recommend getting an extra USB cable for either device. I swear the ones that come with the tablets are ...cheap And you can get a cheap one that is better built.

Now for the next set of questions. It depends what you want. I will say that having a wireless option (and I bought the wireless kit which is an extra 40) is nice. Bluetooth has been touted as a bit slow, and I think the USB receiver is pretty flawless. In fact, I tend to get better response time with the keys and touch ring for whatever weird reason.

If wacom can kindly state the "nominal fee" we're looking at if the tablet gets scratched it would be nice. I think someone bought the http://amzn.com/B007IWKQQQ cover and said it was a bit slick in the review. Not sure if someone else in the thread has tried it. It's about 15 extra.

I think the express keys are laid out better than the 4. I just hate how the touch ring center button responds. However, the wheel is great. I use it when I need to web surf. You can also turn the HUD off if you don't like it.

If you like the OLEDs don't care about potential wireless swap in (which you have to buy the intuos4 bluetooth if you really want it) Go with an intuos 4.

I'm getting along better with my intuos5 though I'm still waiting for those driver updates so my computer can finally sleep when my tablet is plugged in the PC. That and the other bugs that has me so irritated.

-snip- (it's wauh-com dammit )

Thank you for the reply Arshes Nei. I went looking for sellers again and guess it'll be easier for me to get a I5 because the I4s are disappearing from eBay (as far as top sellers who ship to my country go), the seller I was going to go for already stopped selling them

Is the cable problem a modern tablet thing? My Graphire 3's cable on the outside is transparent and you can see a silver interior cable. And although the guy from the second video said his G3 cable was failing, mine never had any problem and seems quite sturdy and thick? (or maybe I just don't take it around with me much)

My concerns come down to:
    -which tablet is easier to use
    -having a replaceable surface vs. having touch.
    The driver problems do sound like a hassle though D: I have little idea how other features like the express keys will affect me, having never used any, so I can safely say what I want is to draw with it (and not navigate internet and computer with it, I dislike trackpads)

I'm not sure I'll like touch though. I've seen people use it in videos when it came out but can't shake the feeling that if you have to hold the pen away from the surface in order to use the gestures, isn't that a bit impractical, or do you really get used to it?

I'm gonna use a mouse, so if mouse mode works okay I'll have to buy a wacom mouse, otherwise just have a place on my desk for normal mouse pad. (Which is what I do now, a little bit cluttered.)

I don't get why wireless is so good (maybe cause I never had cable problems)... I have a lot of USB space, I really only use the same PC, so as long as it's not a really short cable... On the other hand I thought of going for a small over the medium, because for someone coming from a Graphire 3 small, the medium Intuos looks pretty big.

Someone said the non-touch I5 is like a I4 with less features, and I wondered which features they ditched from 4 that they didn't replace with something else?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elciled View Post
    Someone said the non-touch I5 is like a I4 with less features, and I wondered which features they ditched from 4 that they didn't replace with something else?
    I don't see why it's less features, it's more like things changed. No OLED but you have HUD. As I stated before it's a matter of personal preference. I didn't think the build of the intuos4 looked cheap, and mine didn't squeak. I have the intuos4 large.

I still get skin oil smudges on the 5 so there's always a tradeoff honestly.

As for the USB cables, yes it seems the more modern tablets seem to have this problem. The cables that are detachable are just meh. http://amzn.com/B001TH7GUK good price sturdy cable. They also sell cable extenders.

As for wireless. After a while you do get tired of having to deal with a lot of wires. At my desktop it's not a big deal, but my laptop I just don't like having a lot of wires, it's a hassle and makes it more so when you consider portability.

I will say having both tablets means I got more pens - because I can swap them since they're cross compatible. Art Pen I got works great too and I was a person who bought one of the first Art Pens as soon as it came out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy, guys.

Had an Intuos 4 large for a while last year and used it quite a bit - was a lovely bit of kit, but I had the nib 'wobbling' issue and decided to send it back to Amazon. As my studies were getting a bit intense, I held off getting a replacement until now.

Then I find out Wacom decided to screw the Intuos 4 line and replace it with the 5. Having seen one in person, I can say a few things.

The rubber finish? It's actually really nice, not the type that dust will stick to. However, is it durable long term? Will it go shiny? I have no idea. I hope not. My OCD would kill me.

The larger drawing area with the active area being shown by the 4 LEDs? Looks really cool. I actually like this feature a lot. Don't know why it's shifted to one side so much, but oh well.

I hate how you have to wait a couple of seconds for the on screen HUD to show up when holding your finger over a button. I would have just been faster looking down at the OLEDs. Oh, and the buttons are slightly harder to depress. Oh well.

Other than that I actually like the newer design. It's more sleek and strealined, imo.

Now, here's my dilemma. I live in the UK, so I can grab the pen only version of the medium size - but I'm pretty sure I'd regret it after a while. I have fairly large sized monitors, and I preferred the natural feel I got from the large. I mainly freehand draw, so it's more suited to what I do anyway, imo. Now, I heard the surface sheets are NOT replaceable. Can someone please confirm if this is because wacom are not selling replacement sheets for now, or have they really glued it down? I heard they'd be charging a nominal fee later on for replacing it? Do they mean sending it back? If so, that's utter crap. I really want just a pen only version in that case, but of course, only the medium has that. I wouldn't like to screw over Amazon either by sending it back every bloody time the surface sheet got too worn down or scratched either. And of course, since the 4 is being phased out as of now, it's not much use trying to find one of those anymore. Am I just buggered?

Wacom really likes to rustle my jimmies sometimes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tephnos View Post
    Now, here's my dilemma. I live in the UK, so I can grab the pen only version of the medium size - but I'm pretty sure I'd regret it after a while. I have fairly large sized monitors, and I preferred the natural feel I got from the large. I mainly freehand draw, so it's more suited to what I do anyway, imo. Now, I heard the surface sheets are NOT replaceable. Can someone please confirm if this is because wacom are not selling replacement sheets for now, or have they really glued it down? I heard they'd be charging a nominal fee later on for replacing it? Do they mean sending it back? If so, that's utter crap. I really want just a pen only version in that case, but of course, only the medium has that. I wouldn't like to screw over Amazon either by sending it back every bloody time the surface sheet got too worn down or scratched either. And of course, since the 4 is being phased out as of now, it's not much use trying to find one of those anymore. Am I just buggered?

Wacom really likes to rustle my jimmies sometimes.

The intuos 5 touch models are all non replaceable overlays. The reason is the touch technology is built in the surface. If you want one that will have replaceable overlays in the future go with the non touch version.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The intuos 5 touch models are all non replaceable overlays. The reason is the touch technology is built in the surface. If you want one that will have replaceable overlays in the future go with the non touch version.
    Which pretty much leaves me stuck with the medium size. Damn it. No idea why they won't do a non touch large version. And I have no idea why the touch tech makes it completely non replaceable. I'd be fine with a more expensive surface sheet, so long as I could replace it.

By the way, how's the rubber finish on your 5 holding up? Not going shiny is it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not going shiny yet. I'm still wary of cracking eventually. We'll see how well this goes. I'm sure by then Wacom will have a new model on the line with more features

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, I forgot that rubber cracks. I think it would be time to call the wacom engineers an utter failure if they forgot about something like that surely.

On the plus side, I see there's some intuos 4 large versions over at amazon UK for really cheap. May just go back to the 4 after all. Tis a shame really, I love the looks of the 5.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not really happy about lack of no touch L model too tbh.
    5 is looking good, but you are not missing much at the end, I think sending it to Germany to get overlay replaced is not worth it at all, get i4 while it's still possible to.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah - I hear you. I could get used to the medium if I *had* to, but I honestly prefer the large. Having two large monitors, it just feels more natural.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can use mouse mode with M so your tablet size isn't mapped directly to screen, but if you're on windows, you will lose tilt (and optional art pen rotation) information that way.
    if you only use pressure and direction data, you'll be fine.
    (there're chances of M being way too small for your typical brushstrokes, though)

four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    you can use mouse mode with M so your tablet size isn't mapped directly to screen, but if you're on windows, you will lose tilt (and optional art pen rotation) information that way.
    if you only use pressure and direction data, you'll be fine.
    (there're chances of M being way too small for your typical brushstrokes, though)
    To clarify - I have the medium sitting in front of me right now. I am testing it out.

I went with it because it was the only pen version, but yeah - think I need to go larger again. I asked wacom, and they said they'd consider a large pen only version of there was enough demand for it.

I hope there is.

I also asked them about the durability of the surface, and if they had done enough stress testing on it with wear and tear. "We have no further information on that". Damn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    on the surface durability - it will lose the matte texture within approx. a year of constant full time use (less or more depending on your personal painting habits);
    however, what happened twice with my intuos 3 a4 tablet is that surface somehow developed dents/small cavities, perhaps from something sharp falling on the tablet;
    I had to replace the surface because that small dent was in a very often used area of tablet and screwed like every 2nd brushstroke I've made;
    that's the main reason I went for no-touch intuos;
    >> I asked wacom, and they said they'd consider a large pen only version of there was enough demand for it.
    this is quite retarded imo, but if they make an official poll or something, I'll vote for L no touch asap (and will purchase it sometime later, maybe in a year or so)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, by surface durability I did mean the rubber around the tablet itself, not the active area (unless you also meant that). My main concern is the rubber, being rubber, will wear out and smooth down to a shiny surface over time, and then crack. I want a wacom engineer to conform how much stress testing they did on that thing. Looks cool, but man, it's worrying.

Yeah, I asked them to give me a rough idea of how much response they've seen for one thus far.

By the way, I can't remember, did the surface of your intuos 4 file down your fingernails? I don't remember mine ever doing that. The 5 does it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, I see. the rubber thing is interesting, since there're chances it's affected both by mechanical rubbing and, to a lesser extent, sweat and skin oil. I don't think they really tested it much, but the surface quality looks good to me (at least it's more durable than what wacom competition could offer, imo)

> did the surface of your intuos 4 file down your fingernails? I don't remember mine ever doing that. The 5 does it.
    I never owned intuos 4, but did briefly test the first generation model. nothing odd about surface, and I don't get anything weird with intuos 5 overlay (nothing filing down), but if feels so shitty compared to i4/i3, especially right after switching.
    new users may not notice it, though.

ironically, it's still eating nibs like crazy, even despite wacom claims it's supposed to reduce nib wear. I went through a single nib through a week, and I didn't even paint that much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huh, if I rub my fingernails against it just briefly, it looks like I scratched it. Then it brushes away and my nail has a mark on it, so if it can file my nails imagine what it does to the pen.

The thing with that surface is yeah, it'll eventually smooth down and you'll notice it in a month. What if someone loves the surface? They'd be sending the tablet away every few months to Germany, what a crapshoot.

Yeah, the second gen i4 and the i5 still eat nibs like crazy, just not 'as' fast as the first gen 4.

If I get the large 4 in, I'll compare the second gen and i5 surface directly, because yeah, while I LOVE the fact that the i5 has a larger drawing area vs active area, it just feels kinda shitty when using the pen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.wacom.com/en/CustomerCare...s5&os=Mac+OS+X
    there's a new driver (dated June, 14th) on wacom americas website
    couldn't find any release notes whatsoever, so would assume it's another bugfix build.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The surface of the intuos4 actually wears down after a while I have the first gen and it still feels better than the slippery previous models but it's not as rough as my intuos5.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Latest driver finally allows my sleep functions to work properly on my computer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arshes Nei: My Bamboo Fun died recently and I've been looking to replace it with an Intuos 5 Touch. However, after reading this thread I'm shifty.
    I could really utilize the touch features, but that seems to be a no no. I'm looking for a tablet that won't lag a lot with my laptop that has "okay" performance. Do you think I'd benefit more from an Intuos 4?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Painter 12 put in some improvements with the touch gestures, and I know the latest CS6 is also putting some in.

I find them better than the default because they seem to lag a bit.

I am a bit annoyed by the HUD for the touch, and I know the US only sells the touch. However, it's still better than the intuos3 in some ways. I am still partial to the 4 but the keys are laid out better - maybe a bit harder to press (it was really negligible for me) but the touch wheel was driving me crazy.

I should see how it behaves now because I did update the drivers but some reason they don't behave as well as the intuos4 touch ring - I suspect because of the way the capacitive touch is on the new one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought the large I-5 about two months ago. Personally I prefer the larger real estate when drawing, but I don't use the touch controls (in my humble opinion they get in the way of workflow, although I may try and adapt to them at some future point). Fortunately they're easy to disable in the tablet settings, or via the express keys. I'm also currently working out whether I prefer the new drawing surface over my old Intuos 3. At the moment I have a sheet of standard 125micron Diacel (acetate) cut to size and taped in place over the drawing area, which works beautifully if you prefer the smoother I-3 style surface. The tablet is still fully responsive and nib wear is massively reduced (I skipped the Intuos 4, so it was a surprise to see just how quickly the surface of the I-5 eats nibs!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there's a new driver on wacom americas website, supposedly addressing intuos 5 express keys lag and having some other fixes acc. 2 wacom boards representative
    mac & win

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there's a new driver on wacom americas website, supposedly addressing intuos 5 express keys lag and having some other fixes acc. 2 wacom boards representative
    mac & win
    Do they actually say what the other fixes are, cuz it's getting annoying that they don't specify anymore.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mac & win
    Thanks for that... I had to turn off my touch features as my hand holding the pen can no longer rest on the board. it's all wonky now! it zooms in and out, brings up menus and all sorts of nonsense. AUGH! I knew I shouldn't have done it...

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do they actually say what the other fixes are, cuz it's getting annoying that they don't specify anymore.

nope, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by philofmars View Post
    Thanks for that... I had to turn off my touch features as my hand holding the pen can no longer rest on the board. it's all wonky now! it zooms in and out, brings up menus and all sorts of nonsense. AUGH! I knew I shouldn't have done it...
    oh... can you reset the wacom preferences and see if it helps?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nope, nothing.

oh... can you reset the wacom preferences and see if it helps?
    dunno. Let me reboot and see what happens.

Still crazy, I dumped 3-3 and put 3.2-4 back on and everything is fine again. It was weird. I figured out that it was making everything TOO sensitive. It was reading my pinky finger and the one next to it as 2 fingers and if I moved one independent of the other, it would zoom in or out and sometimes pan around if I made sure I didn't move them separately! Mostly it clicked on "right click" which is hold one finger and tap another. I think it was reading my pinky as a finger and a tap if my second or third finger touched down while drawing.
    It was a mess!
    Everything is good now tho. Maybe it might work different and fix something on a PC, but on my mac, I wasn't having trouble til then.

Last edited by philofmars; August 8th, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From Wacom's Site under "more info"

Note: If you are a left-handed pen user and use an Intuos5 or Cintiq 24HD touch, select your handedness in the "Options…" dialog box of the Wacom Tablet preferences pane to enable proper functioning of palm rejection.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From Wacom's Site under "more info"

Note: If you are a left-handed pen user and use an Intuos5 or Cintiq 24HD touch, select your handedness in the "Options…" dialog box of the Wacom Tablet preferences pane to enable proper functioning of palm rejection.
    Hmmm. That could be the problem... I am a lefty like you. But then, it'd really honk me off If I had to reinstall 3-2 again today. Maybe in a few days I'll try it... on a weekend. The funny thing was, that my settings never changed thru all this upgrade/retrograde thing. Altho I didn't check the handedness.

Thanks Arshes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From what it sounds like it may be a new option. I know that Mapping has the handedness, but they said to check "Options"

Ok they're talking about Options. You need to click on that, not Mapping.

Oh for crying out Loud Wacom. Can't you have it stop flipping orientations in touch mode?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Arshes Nei; August 8th, 2012 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^ lol what does that pen compatibility checkbox even do. my older painter versions (6 & 9) aren't aware of anything over 1024 and worked flawlessly with intuos 5.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.