Intuos 5 - Touch - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I was contacted by a Wacom rep this morning and told the issue I had was resolved in the driver version I was reporting an issue with (HA!). While I can fix the issue - I find this to be a defect because your tablet shouldn't be loosing orientation (and creating different profiles) wireless and usb mode.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I was contacted by a Wacom rep this morning and told the issue I had was resolved in the driver version I was reporting an issue with (HA!). While I can fix the issue - I find this to be a defect because your tablet shouldn't be loosing orientation (and creating different profiles) wireless and usb mode.
    So either its in a new driver and he doesnt know what hes talking about or they cant fix it...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jhferry View Post
    So either its in a new driver and he doesnt know what hes talking about or they cant fix it...
    yes. I think you got it...

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jhferry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for this update, this tablet and it's driver issues seem to be a bit of a distressing thing with experienced users right now, especially since I've been holding off buying it while I wait for a successful Win7 driver update and collect the desired accessories,
    hoping a tablet revision would change the surface back to a user replaceable style(not likely).
    The driver issues can be fixed, but the surface was definitely the result of some designers not taking advantage of the Wacom evolution process. Craziness. I have 2 more accessories to take my time to buy, this tablet is a bit of a want than a need for me.
    I think I'll add this on the list if touch still works through the surface, hopefully it does. Then again, my particular Wacom drawing style might not be bothered so much by the default surface, won't really know till I get it in my hands.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have but I remember Wacom Europe cautioning against it since it may affect touch functionality. I'm not willing to spend on it if no one has a legit review.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made an account solely to comment on this thread.
    If you guys are sick of the sandpaper like drawing texture on the Intuos 5, I have a solution.

Step 1. Slap a cheap-o reusable touch screen protector on it.
    Step 2. There is no step 2.

Seriously. I 'upgraded' from an Intuos 3 and the texture on the i5 was enough to make me want to send it back. Then my roommate came in, peeled off one side of a iPad screen protector and slapped it on my tablet.

This works unbelievably well. The touch still registers because it's a screen protector made for touch and the surface is glass-smooth so no more nib wear. The touch is even better cause I have a case of constant clammy hands that the screen protector blocks.

Now I can write a proper amazon review on it, instead of that bitter rant I was planning to write. In short though, I don't feel like the Intuos5 is a proper update to the Intuos line. It's more like a Intuos4 Touch featuring Nib-Eating-Surface™ and no OLEDs with Mouse Not Included!

Ok so maybe I'm still a bit bitter. It's ridiculous that I have to pay $350 for a product and then have to buy this and a new cable cause Wacom still insist to make their cables out of mozzarella cheese.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mintyfreshmangos View Post
    I made an account solely to comment on this thread.
    If you guys are sick of the sandpaper like drawing texture on the Intuos 5, I have a solution.

Step 1. Slap a cheap-o reusable touch screen protector on it.
    Step 2. There is no step 2.

Seriously. I 'upgraded' from an Intuos 3 and the texture on the i5 was enough to make me want to send it back. Then my roommate came in, peeled off one side of a iPad screen protector and slapped it on my tablet.

This works unbelievably well. The touch still registers because it's a screen protector made for touch and the surface is glass-smooth so no more nib wear. The touch is even better cause I have a case of constant clammy hands that the screen protector blocks.

Now I can write a proper amazon review on it, instead of that bitter rant I was planning to write. In short though, I don't feel like the Intuos5 is a proper update to the Intuos line. It's more like a Intuos4 Touch featuring Nib-Eating-Surface™ and no OLEDs with Mouse Not Included!

Ok so maybe I'm still a bit bitter. It's ridiculous that I have to pay $350 for a product and then have to buy this and a new cable cause Wacom still insist to make their cables out of mozzarella cheese.
    When you say one side what does that mean?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you say one side what does that mean?
    When you get a screen protector, it comes in 3 layers. 2 of them are just clear plastic sheets and in between them is the actual screen protector. I think the other clear sheets are for applying the screen protector properly.

I just took off one layer and left one clear plastic sheets on top to buffer the nib of my pen. I'm sure it will work even if you take both of the plastic sheets off, though.

So.... in order:

Clear plastic sheet that comes with screen protector
    Screen Protector
    Wacom tablet

I would draw this out for you but my Intuos5 drive just stopped working. FUNNY.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had the intuos5 drivers crash a few times. Sometimes I can restart the service, other times it's a lost cause till a full system reboot. It's a real pain in the ass. At least usually when it dies and you're right handed you can still navigate. Me being the lefty I have to flip the damn tablet around to navigate and use the stylus only. Why? Because when the drivers die, the touch no longer responds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had the intuos5 drivers crash a few times. Sometimes I can restart the service, other times it's a lost cause till a full system reboot. It's a real pain in the ass. At least usually when it dies and you're right handed you can still navigate. Me being the lefty I have to flip the damn tablet around to navigate and use the stylus only. Why? Because when the drivers die, the touch no longer responds.
    The last drive crash above was a strange one. My laptop just woke up from hibernation mode and then my tablet just went crazy. Pen and touch did not work right, there was this major lag time when I tried to do anything and then it just stopped working. Plugging in and out did not fix it. So I restarted.

My intuos3 had a problem like this, but it was pushing 5 years and was afflicted with the Great-Wacom-Cord-Suck so when I moved it, it would turn on and off by itself. That caused the driver to crash.
    Really no excuses for a brand new 5 to do the same thing, though. Update the damn drivers, Wacom.

It works fine all other times. I think if you unplug it before going to sleep or hibernation mode, it would fix it.

Last edited by mintyfreshmangos; April 3rd, 2012 at 04:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well as long as the tablet is plugged in your default power modes will not work. Doesn't seem to be a problem if you unplug it, but if you have wireless (which I do) it also affects the mode. You have to tell the PC to turn off on your own so it's another driver problem.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; April 3rd, 2012 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been having the same problem with the latest driver for my Bamboo Fun that is attached to my laptop. I use the Bamboo as a mouse on it and I've been having to reinstall the driver at least once a week if not more.

I keep losing tilt on my Intuos 4 on my desktop as well, but that just requires calling up the Wacom properties and then minimizing again.

I think the latest set of Wacom drivers has some real problems.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huh, my new i5 pen is having some trouble with switching from eraser to pen mode. Some time it does not recognize when I flip the pen upside to use the eraser and vice versa....is any one else having this problem?
    I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software issue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you get a screen protector, it comes in 3 layers. 2 of them are just clear plastic sheets and in between them is the actual screen protector. I think the other clear sheets are for applying the screen protector properly.

I just took off one layer and left one clear plastic sheets on top to buffer the nib of my pen. I'm sure it will work even if you take both of the plastic sheets off, though.

So.... in order:

Clear plastic sheet that comes with screen protector
    Screen Protector
    Wacom tablet

I would draw this out for you but my Intuos5 drive just stopped working. FUNNY.
    You mean like for an ipad. How do you keep it in place? I have a large so the thing keeps moving around and I would need to get a bigger one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So how's everyone liking the Intuos 5?

I kind of want to upgrade to a Intuos 5 medium since my Intuos 3 Medium is on the fritz, but I'm still rather reluctant to take the plunge.

Also, what's up with all this non-touch intuos 5 talk I hear? I can't find the non-touch model anywhere!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I heard non-touch is not sold in the US?
    I got mine in Asia (HK), they have both S and M available. no replacement surfaces yet, but wacom should roll those out ltr.
    overall I'm pleased with upgrading (i3 to i5, like you), but
    a) surface takes time to get used to
    b) check the shoelacing thread in this subforum. not a deal-breaker, but rather annoying and you should be warned.
    c) I'm not selling/throwing my i3 out. just in case.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The non touch is probably not in the US since we tend to get a better price point on the tablets overall.

Well as I said in my amazon review, it's a frustrating device to deal with. http://www.amazon.com/review/R3OWFRP...tag=&linkCode=

However, having said that, I recognize wide screen is the way to go, people want the ability to have the device in wireless mode (which does cost more to buy the kit, but at least you have the option), and I don't hate the design either, it makes the intuos3 look like a CRT lol.

Anyone who has the intuos3 or lower will find the upgrade nice.

Depending on your OS you may find some issues. I do find the intuos5 is a bit better on XP than Win7 (for the express key and touch performance), however, I get lag on the express keys and I think that's a disappointment if that's what you're upgrading for. The HUD is rather lagged. It tends to be less lagged in wireless mode ironically but it's still there. The center button for the touch ring is the biggest offender in my opinion and it may have to do with the sensitivity of the capacitive touch. Keep in mind the express key area is capacitive, it means it will react with your fingers on it, not just a button press.

I notice Mac users with the latest driver have fewer issues, and maybe something like Windows8 will have touch integration act better.

I find the surface of the intuos4 better than the 5. I still have my intuos3 though. It's mostly because of testing and troubleshooting with users.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The non touch is probably not in the US since we tend to get a better price point on the tablets overall.

Well as I said in my amazon review, it's a frustrating device to deal with. http://www.amazon.com/review/R3OWFRP...tag=&linkCode=

However, having said that, I recognize wide screen is the way to go, people want the ability to have the device in wireless mode (which does cost more to buy the kit, but at least you have the option), and I don't hate the design either, it makes the intuos3 look like a CRT lol.

Anyone who has the intuos3 or lower will find the upgrade nice.

Depending on your OS you may find some issues. I do find the intuos5 is a bit better on XP than Win7 (for the express key and touch performance), however, I get lag on the express keys and I think that's a disappointment if that's what you're upgrading for. The HUD is rather lagged. It tends to be less lagged in wireless mode ironically but it's still there. The center button for the touch ring is the biggest offender in my opinion and it may have to do with the sensitivity of the capacitive touch. Keep in mind the express key area is capacitive, it means it will react with your fingers on it, not just a button press.

I notice Mac users with the latest driver have fewer issues, and maybe something like Windows8 will have touch integration act better.

I find the surface of the intuos4 better than the 5. I still have my intuos3 though. It's mostly because of testing and troubleshooting with users.
    Man, I'd honestly prefer to just get a cheap Intuos 4, but they're not being sold anywhere anymore (at least, not at a reasonable price point for a tablet already a generation old).

Anyways, I have a question:
    How does the Intuos 5 Medium feel vs the Intuos4 Large? I like the portability of the medium, but maybe a Large would be better suited to the 1920x1200 17'' monitor I generally work with?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I work off 2 23" monitors so I have to force the proportions which is why I got a large.

Large makes you use more of your arm and if you're not used to that you may not like it. However, since I lose a lot of "tablet real estate" when I use 2 monitors, it's why I got the large for my desktop vs the medium.

Most people are fine with a medium and especially for single monitor use. I find that with single monitors high resolution is less of an issue with the size of the tablet vs 2 monitors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and I don't hate the design either, it makes the intuos3 look like a CRT lol.
    THIS so much, actually. plus it doesn't squeak like i3 did.

I get lag on the express keys and I think that's a disappointment if that's what you're upgrading for. The HUD is rather lagged. It tends to be less lagged in wireless mode ironically but it's still there. The center button for the touch ring is the biggest offender in my opinion and it may have to do with the sensitivity of the capacitive touch. Keep in mind the express key area is capacitive, it means it will react with your fingers on it, not just a button press.
    I haven't noticed express keys and hud lag on mac; however, I find hud extremely distracting and I disabled the touch ring functions asap, it's really annoying and not intuitive enough tbh.
    love the radial menu, but it's a intuos 4 feature to start with.

how old is your intuos 4, btw? wacom re-engineered its surface as of late 2010, and they're supposed to be the same with intuos 5. I hated it a lot at first, but seems to get a bit better now.

Quote Originally Posted by DDar View Post
    Man, I'd honestly prefer to just get a cheap Intuos 4, but they're not being sold anywhere anymore (at least, not at a reasonable price point for a tablet already a generation old).
    intuos 5 is overall the same, there's no tech breakthrough, sans better wireless kit.

Anyways, I have a question:
    How does the Intuos 5 Medium feel vs the Intuos4 Large? I like the portability of the medium, but maybe a Large would be better suited to the 1920x1200 17'' monitor I generally work with?
    get an L. amazon still has it apparently - link
    also ask your local tech retailers

and btw, whatever model you're going with, make sure you remove your wacom preferences after unplugging intuos 3 and before installing the new model.
    my tablet driver crashed soon after I plugged intuos 5 in, but never after prefs removal. (wacom drivers aren't exactly stable on systems with several tablet data iirc, and my example was proving it as well).

Last edited by ikken; April 7th, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where did you read about Wacom already thinking of redoing the surface (5.1)?

anyway, here are my thoughts coming from a gen 1 I4 large to a I5 large.
    1) I like the surface. I never used the second gen I4 surface but the original was very scratchy to me. I had a special edition intros 1 and although not as smooth as that it's not bad. I think the nib wear deal depends on how you use it. I really never had this issue.

2) the touch features work great in photoshop. I am on windows 7 x64. I tested sketchbook pro, manga studio and native windows. Sketchbook is a mess. It registers your palm so it's really bad. Manga studio you can zoom and that's it. My impression is its going to take time for the application updates and drivers to catch up to the tech. Hopefully they do this before windows 8. The one thing I have a problem with in windows is scrolling. It seems to be a little iffy.

3) dropping the free mouse sucks. I don't care how they explain it, I liked it.

4) I am going to basically repeat and agree with Arshes Nei about the express keys and touch ring. Compared to the I4 they suck. Dropping the oleds sucks, I really liked them especially since the HUD sucks so bad ( lag )

5) appearance is nice, again liked the I4 better. The I5 is not bad at all and it doesn't smear as much for sure.

Overall I rate it a 7 out of 10. Should you get it if you have an I4? The answer is maybe. It's an upgrade with touch and wireless but the touch isn't there yet. My hope is that a few updates brings this up to a 9.

I believe the HUD and keys/ring lag are driver issues. Some of the rest are the applications catching up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    how old is your intuos 4, btw? wacom re-engineered its surface as of late 2010, and they're supposed to be the same with intuos 5. I hated it a lot at first, but seems to get a bit better now.
    Yes, mine was the first one, I bought it when they came out. The new one feels more rough than my 4 so I dunno I just hate the new surface.

As far as the drivers go, I think I had 1 serious crash and a couple other glitches. However, as stated in the Shoelace issue, the drivers are definitely b0rked when it comes to photoshop compared to the intuos3.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They really need to get on it with a new driver.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You mean like for an ipad. How do you keep it in place? I have a large so the thing keeps moving around and I would need to get a bigger one.
    Yep, like an ipad one. And the screen protectors are designed to stay on the ipad. Or at least mine is. I can flip my i5 upside down ant it still won't go anywhere. It wouldn't really make scene if it flew off every time I moved it.

I have a medium and the screen protector barely fits so if you have a large then you will need to find something bigger, yeah. Maybe a touch screen protector for those laptop tablets? Do they still sell though anymore?

YES WHERE? It's not like they can send me a surface sheet replacement , I would need to send them back my whole tablet for them to change it. And that's just.....AGGHHHH.

I came across a odd bug in which the tablet didn't recognize when I switch from the pen side to the eraser side. It would still think I was using the pen even when I was trying to use the eraser. It happened on and off when I was using Photoshop. Is anyone else getting this? I'm not sure if it's a hardware or a driver problem. I restarted though and I'll see if it happens again.

Yes, updated drivers, Wacom. Now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you get that impression from my post above, than sorry for misunderstanding.
    intuos 4 surface was re-formulated (for a lack of better term) during its product cycle. intuos 5 surface is supposedly same as of late 2010 intuos 4. I can't recall wacom already announcing the surface update (that will also take time), but there's a demand for it indeed.

3) dropping the free mouse sucks. I don't care how they explain it, I liked it.
    cost-saving, ewww. same reason why they kicked out leds and extra-usb port.

Yes, updated drivers, Wacom. Now.
    drivers have never been wacom's strong point to be fair.
    they will update them eventually, but it might take years (or light years...) to do so.
    (still better than all of their competitors though)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, mine was the first one, I bought it when they came out. The new one feels more rough than my 4 so I dunno I just hate the new surface.

As far as the drivers go, I think I had 1 serious crash and a couple other glitches. However, as stated in the Shoelace issue, the drivers are definitely b0rked when it comes to photoshop compared to the intuos3.
    Speaking of shoelacing, I never knew that was an actual issue. Until recently, I just thought I was terrible at digital draftmanship and line control! It ends up the OSX drivers or my intuos 3 had a severe shoelacing issue.

No such problem on Windows 7 as of yet though. The intuos 5 should be arriving tomorrow, so I'll report in with my impressions of it in a few days.

Oh! Also, Arshes Nei, I never thanked you for your input! So yeah, thanks!

THIS so much, actually. plus it doesn't squeak like i3 did.

I haven't noticed express keys and hud lag on mac; however, I find hud extremely distracting and I disabled the touch ring functions asap, it's really annoying and not intuitive enough tbh.
    love the radial menu, but it's a intuos 4 feature to start with.

intuos 5 is overall the same, there's no tech breakthrough, sans better wireless kit.

get an L. amazon still has it apparently - link
    also ask your local tech retailers

and btw, whatever model you're going with, make sure you remove your wacom preferences after unplugging intuos 3 and before installing the new model.
    my tablet driver crashed soon after I plugged intuos 5 in, but never after prefs removal. (wacom drivers aren't exactly stable on systems with several tablet data iirc, and my example was proving it as well).
    I would get the L, but I need this to be able to fit in my backpack while I'm on the go. I could do 18'', but the 19'' that the Intuos 5 is is just way too big to fit.
    I just went with the M instead. If I really regret my decision I can always return or exchange it.

As for the drivers, my Cintiq also depends on them to function, so I'd rather not have to uninstall them. Do I really have to?

Last edited by DDar; April 9th, 2012 at 06:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DDar View Post
    Until recently, I just thought I was terrible at digital draftmanship and line control! It ends up the OSX drivers or my intuos 3 had a severe shoelacing issue.
    funny that I never has any issues with intuos 3 under OSX, but shoelacing was terrible at first with intuos 5. I had pressure-related photoshop bugs on windows since cs3 though.

I would get the L, but I need this to be able to fit in my backpack while I'm on the go. I could do 18'', but the 19'' that the Intuos 5 is is just way too big to fit.
    I had a separate wacom bag for intuos 3 a4 to carry it around. they might have some for newer models too?
    As for the drivers, my Cintiq also depends on them to function, so I'd rather not have to uninstall them. Do I really have to?
    which cintiq exactly, is it with intuos 3 tech or intuos 4? (which grip pen does it have, so to say?)
    this part is tricky, I'd say plug it in and see if it works fine; if not, do the clean-up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The problem shows up if you have specific shortcuts programmed for Photoshop on your grip pen. If you adjust the threshold for "all others" Photoshop works better for intuos4 and 5 but you have to delete any preferences. This is a stupid bug because I use the ALT key a lot in PS.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I got it today. I'm not gonna lie, it's really, really nice. The amount of extra control I have over my brushes is pretty noticeable coming from an intuos 3.

No conflict or crashing bugs either yet, though I turned touch off (I didn't want it taking up any of the resources that could be allocated to operating a heavy duty program.)

The only annoying part is the definite shoelacing issue, however, it only seems to be a problem in Photoshop. So, I guess I could stick to Painter 12 for now and wait the problem out, or just use Photoshop ONLY on my mac... But yeah...

Also, I kind of like the new texture. It doesn't feel completely natural, but it doesn't feel WRONG to me either. I definitely see how it's gonna eat up my felt nibs though...

The problem shows up if you have specific shortcuts programmed for Photoshop on your grip pen. If you adjust the threshold for "all others" Photoshop works better for intuos4 and 5 but you have to delete any preferences. This is a stupid bug because I use the ALT key a lot in PS.
    What do you mean? Like, could I make specific preferences for photoshop where no modifiers were mapped to the buttons and the issue would go away?

funny that I never has any issues with intuos 3 under OSX, but shoelacing was terrible at first with intuos 5. I had pressure-related photoshop bugs on windows since cs3 though.

I had a separate wacom bag for intuos 3 a4 to carry it around. they might have some for newer models too?

which cintiq exactly, is it with intuos 3 tech or intuos 4? (which grip pen does it have, so to say?)
    this part is tricky, I'd say plug it in and see if it works fine; if not, do the clean-up.
    I dislike being encumbered, and my 17'' backpack is enough encumberment than I like anyways. I just like to have everything in there, y'know?

Also, I have the newest 21UX, so one with intuos 4 tech.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7