Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Intuos 5 - Touch

Thanks

I love it

I'm reading a lot of negative reviews, but I upgraded from my 4, and I love the new 5. The touch isn't perfect, but it works. I think it feels more sensitive with a lighter touch. Love the wireless. I've had none of the crashing issues, etc. that others have experienced.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yeah, I may just wait for 6 to come out... or a cintiq, whichever I can save up for or get first.

This is crazy.
    www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    The center button does not make a clicking sound if you mean "click" literally.

Otherwise, it's a common issue.

The whole rubber side is capacitive touch. What is happening is the area where the touch ring is covered is also detecting the touch along with the center button - so they cancel each other out, at least that's what I figure as to why the center button is so lagged and garbage.
    Yeah i meant click literally, thanks for the info!

Thanks
    The active area on the I5 is the same as the I4. Anyone else tried to put an I4 overlay on the I5 to see if it was still functional?
    Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    I second the above question, I think it would still work as people have put other protective sheets on it?
    And - oh well I'll just go ahead and ask:
    For someone coming from a really old Graphire (a 3, no buttons... not even the pen button works anymore actually), would you recommend I4 or 5?
    Was about to buy 4 but then 5 came out. I've been reading what I can about it but I'd figure I'd just ask directly for a recommendation/opinion, that doesn't deal with going from I4 to I5 because I've never even used a Intuos. What makes me hesitate between 4 and 5 is the keys and HUD, on which tablet is it easier to use? Is this a big deal to you?

In case of 5, with or without touch? (I want a M. I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to send it to Wacom to change surface. I also would like to have a mouse to use on it :/) If I decided for non-touch, wouldn't it be better to get a I4? Or no?

I'm not considering price too much because the sellers I've found that sell to my country don't really have a much lower price for I4. Though I guess I'd have to consider the extra money in case I need to get a mouse (I don't really see a need to go wireless, so no kit for me for now).
    Last edited by Elciled; May 16th, 2012 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Well the consideration is this for the intuos 4 or 5.

I first just recommend getting an extra USB cable for either device. I swear the ones that come with the tablets are ...cheap And you can get a cheap one that is better built.

Now for the next set of questions. It depends what you want. I will say that having a wireless option (and I bought the wireless kit which is an extra 40) is nice. Bluetooth has been touted as a bit slow, and I think the USB receiver is pretty flawless. In fact, I tend to get better response time with the keys and touch ring for whatever weird reason.

If wacom can kindly state the "nominal fee" we're looking at if the tablet gets scratched it would be nice. I think someone bought the http://amzn.com/B007IWKQQQ cover and said it was a bit slick in the review. Not sure if someone else in the thread has tried it. It's about 15 extra.

I think the express keys are laid out better than the 4. I just hate how the touch ring center button responds. However, the wheel is great. I use it when I need to web surf. You can also turn the HUD off if you don't like it.

If you like the OLEDs don't care about potential wireless swap in (which you have to buy the intuos4 bluetooth if you really want it) Go with an intuos 4.

I'm getting along better with my intuos5 though I'm still waiting for those driver updates so my computer can finally sleep when my tablet is plugged in the PC. That and the other bugs that has me so irritated.

(it's wauh-com dammit )
    Last edited by Arshes Nei; May 16th, 2012 at 10:43 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If wacom can kindly state the "nominal fee" we're looking at if the tablet gets scratched it would be nice.
    So, I wonder if the fee is the same as the cost of an I4 overlay. If so, I could get with that. What I couldn't get with is if they kept my frickin I5 for more than 24hrs. They should have designed the surface as user replaceable. This design aspect would have been a simple task to implement. Then again....my tablets get daily use and I don't dig trenches with the stylus. It took a few years before I replaced my I3 surfaces.
    Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Well the consideration is this for the intuos 4 or 5.

I first just recommend getting an extra USB cable for either device. I swear the ones that come with the tablets are ...cheap And you can get a cheap one that is better built.

Now for the next set of questions. It depends what you want. I will say that having a wireless option (and I bought the wireless kit which is an extra 40) is nice. Bluetooth has been touted as a bit slow, and I think the USB receiver is pretty flawless. In fact, I tend to get better response time with the keys and touch ring for whatever weird reason.

If wacom can kindly state the "nominal fee" we're looking at if the tablet gets scratched it would be nice. I think someone bought the http://amzn.com/B007IWKQQQ cover and said it was a bit slick in the review. Not sure if someone else in the thread has tried it. It's about 15 extra.

I think the express keys are laid out better than the 4. I just hate how the touch ring center button responds. However, the wheel is great. I use it when I need to web surf. You can also turn the HUD off if you don't like it.

If you like the OLEDs don't care about potential wireless swap in (which you have to buy the intuos4 bluetooth if you really want it) Go with an intuos 4.

I'm getting along better with my intuos5 though I'm still waiting for those driver updates so my computer can finally sleep when my tablet is plugged in the PC. That and the other bugs that has me so irritated.

-snip- (it's wauh-com dammit )

Thank you for the reply Arshes Nei. I went looking for sellers again and guess it'll be easier for me to get a I5 because the I4s are disappearing from eBay (as far as top sellers who ship to my country go), the seller I was going to go for already stopped selling them

Is the cable problem a modern tablet thing? My Graphire 3's cable on the outside is transparent and you can see a silver interior cable. And although the guy from the second video said his G3 cable was failing, mine never had any problem and seems quite sturdy and thick? (or maybe I just don't take it around with me much)

My concerns come down to:
    -which tablet is easier to use
    -having a replaceable surface vs. having touch.
    The driver problems do sound like a hassle though D: I have little idea how other features like the express keys will affect me, having never used any, so I can safely say what I want is to draw with it (and not navigate internet and computer with it, I dislike trackpads)

I'm not sure I'll like touch though. I've seen people use it in videos when it came out but can't shake the feeling that if you have to hold the pen away from the surface in order to use the gestures, isn't that a bit impractical, or do you really get used to it?

I'm gonna use a mouse, so if mouse mode works okay I'll have to buy a wacom mouse, otherwise just have a place on my desk for normal mouse pad. (Which is what I do now, a little bit cluttered.)

I don't get why wireless is so good (maybe cause I never had cable problems)... I have a lot of USB space, I really only use the same PC, so as long as it's not a really short cable... On the other hand I thought of going for a small over the medium, because for someone coming from a Graphire 3 small, the medium Intuos looks pretty big.

Someone said the non-touch I5 is like a I4 with less features, and I wondered which features they ditched from 4 that they didn't replace with something else?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elciled View Post
    Someone said the non-touch I5 is like a I4 with less features, and I wondered which features they ditched from 4 that they didn't replace with something else?
    I don't see why it's less features, it's more like things changed. No OLED but you have HUD. As I stated before it's a matter of personal preference. I didn't think the build of the intuos4 looked cheap, and mine didn't squeak. I have the intuos4 large.

I still get skin oil smudges on the 5 so there's always a tradeoff honestly.

As for the USB cables, yes it seems the more modern tablets seem to have this problem. The cables that are detachable are just meh. http://amzn.com/B001TH7GUK good price sturdy cable. They also sell cable extenders.

As for wireless. After a while you do get tired of having to deal with a lot of wires. At my desktop it's not a big deal, but my laptop I just don't like having a lot of wires, it's a hassle and makes it more so when you consider portability.

I will say having both tablets means I got more pens - because I can swap them since they're cross compatible. Art Pen I got works great too and I was a person who bought one of the first Art Pens as soon as it came out.

Thanks
    Howdy, guys.

Had an Intuos 4 large for a while last year and used it quite a bit - was a lovely bit of kit, but I had the nib 'wobbling' issue and decided to send it back to Amazon. As my studies were getting a bit intense, I held off getting a replacement until now.

Then I find out Wacom decided to screw the Intuos 4 line and replace it with the 5. Having seen one in person, I can say a few things.

The rubber finish? It's actually really nice, not the type that dust will stick to. However, is it durable long term? Will it go shiny? I have no idea. I hope not. My OCD would kill me.

The larger drawing area with the active area being shown by the 4 LEDs? Looks really cool. I actually like this feature a lot. Don't know why it's shifted to one side so much, but oh well.

I hate how you have to wait a couple of seconds for the on screen HUD to show up when holding your finger over a button. I would have just been faster looking down at the OLEDs. Oh, and the buttons are slightly harder to depress. Oh well.

Other than that I actually like the newer design. It's more sleek and strealined, imo.

Now, here's my dilemma. I live in the UK, so I can grab the pen only version of the medium size - but I'm pretty sure I'd regret it after a while. I have fairly large sized monitors, and I preferred the natural feel I got from the large. I mainly freehand draw, so it's more suited to what I do anyway, imo. Now, I heard the surface sheets are NOT replaceable. Can someone please confirm if this is because wacom are not selling replacement sheets for now, or have they really glued it down? I heard they'd be charging a nominal fee later on for replacing it? Do they mean sending it back? If so, that's utter crap. I really want just a pen only version in that case, but of course, only the medium has that. I wouldn't like to screw over Amazon either by sending it back every bloody time the surface sheet got too worn down or scratched either. And of course, since the 4 is being phased out as of now, it's not much use trying to find one of those anymore. Am I just buggered?

Wacom really likes to rustle my jimmies sometimes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tephnos View Post
    Now, here's my dilemma. I live in the UK, so I can grab the pen only version of the medium size - but I'm pretty sure I'd regret it after a while. I have fairly large sized monitors, and I preferred the natural feel I got from the large. I mainly freehand draw, so it's more suited to what I do anyway, imo. Now, I heard the surface sheets are NOT replaceable. Can someone please confirm if this is because wacom are not selling replacement sheets for now, or have they really glued it down? I heard they'd be charging a nominal fee later on for replacing it? Do they mean sending it back? If so, that's utter crap. I really want just a pen only version in that case, but of course, only the medium has that. I wouldn't like to screw over Amazon either by sending it back every bloody time the surface sheet got too worn down or scratched either. And of course, since the 4 is being phased out as of now, it's not much use trying to find one of those anymore. Am I just buggered?

Wacom really likes to rustle my jimmies sometimes.

The intuos 5 touch models are all non replaceable overlays. The reason is the touch technology is built in the surface. If you want one that will have replaceable overlays in the future go with the non touch version.

Thanks
    The intuos 5 touch models are all non replaceable overlays. The reason is the touch technology is built in the surface. If you want one that will have replaceable overlays in the future go with the non touch version.
    Which pretty much leaves me stuck with the medium size. Damn it. No idea why they won't do a non touch large version. And I have no idea why the touch tech makes it completely non replaceable. I'd be fine with a more expensive surface sheet, so long as I could replace it.

By the way, how's the rubber finish on your 5 holding up? Not going shiny is it?

Thanks
    It's not going shiny yet. I'm still wary of cracking eventually. We'll see how well this goes. I'm sure by then Wacom will have a new model on the line with more features

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast