Comic Influences

Just talking about my influences and more, heres the link:

http://omaikworkshop.blogspot.com/

feel free to comment here, or there.

Omaik

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Well, if you are going to talk about your influences, I'd rather be interested on hearing how those comics actually influence you/your comics/art, and not just "I don't like superhero comics".
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Well, if you are going to talk about your influences, I'd rather be interested on hearing how those comics actually influence you/your comics/art, and not just "I don't like superhero comics".
    They do?

The author mentions quite a few comics saying that those were more influential than superhero ones.

I wasn't going to bother with it because it felt like too much of a shameless plug and the post on the forum had little content. However, the person does mention what influences them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    They do?
    Ah, I had totally misread the "The comics i had to read were so diverse and so entertaining, that they, as a whole, influenced my own stories. I have all kinds of stories, horror, adventure, "slice of lice", scifi, medieval fantasy, etc" part, I thought they were talking about the comics they own (as in comics they have) and not the comics they actually made themselves.

But even then I'd be more interested on getting deeper to the how reading X comics influences one's current work, do they recall similar themes/character archetypes or development/story structures/panel or art structures that can be followed back to these comics they read.
    (These things are relevant to my interests.)
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Hi, "shameless plug guy" here...

For Tinybird, well... i remember as a kid i just "felt" that the comics i liked were better than superhero ones. When i grew up, i thought about it more seriously, and from my point of view, the core of the comics, the storytelling, more than everything else, were the difference.
    These artists KNEW how to tell a story, and focused on that more than anything else. Herge (tintin`s creator) once said that what was more important to him was to make himself clear, that the reader couldnt have a doubt about what is happening and what is he seeing on the page.
    If you see, too many artists today try to change things in every panel, the change perspectives, angles, they zoom in, zoom out, and play too much with these things, trying to be diverse, original or someting. The comics i grew up reading didnt do that... didnt change angles, focus, etc, that much. Some of these artists almost dont change the planes at all. They keep you at certain distantce, as the reader, as if youre seated warching a movie. They dont try to make you feel that youre in the story, and then take you out and make you see things from another character`s eyes, and then insert a cool splash page, and then a flashback, etc etc.

As an artist, thats my intention, to focus in telling the story, developing the characters, etc. Not to "make you feel like youre there" and "experience what the characters are going thru". If the story is good, and the reader likes it, they will "feel the story" and make it their own.

Anyway... im talking too much and dont even know if im answering your question, but thanks for asking!

Omaik