Thanks

Mark crilley's Mastering manga book?

Well my friend will not rest until he buys this book and I have told him to use the free pdfs online but its like he has this infatuation with the guy and his work.

I try to tell him build the foundation like I am trying to do but he sits at his puter all day pausing the videos and following the lines step by step and that brings me another point have any of you seen the videos that some of the YouTube make in response to his how to draw videos? very unique is a nice way of putting it and atm im terrible at drawing but I admit it.

Not hating on Mark crilley I did try like all the others 2 or so years ago to follow his videos step by step because I didnt know any better.
    But man it really pisses me off when I see my friend spending 50 bucks to order the book when he couldve got other books that are much better than "How to draw manga" books and the point that he seems to miss is that how to draw manga books is really saying "How to draw like me"

Well I went on a bit of a rant but sorry...
    Again no hate for Crilley but why does my friend blindly follow him i have no idea.
    ~ Hard work beats wasted talent.

Doing a little soul searching ^^

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Dear Diary....

But enough of that, if your friend is doing this for hobby, let that person have fun and enjoy the books. If the person is trying to be a professional, sooner or later reality will kick in. So stop worrying.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Dear Diary....

But enough of that, if your friend is doing this for hobby, let that person have fun and enjoy the books. If the person is trying to be a professional, sooner or later reality will kick in. So stop worrying.
    Not slightest bit of worry the point is he wont shut up about it....
    Keeps implying that I should follow mark crilleys videos too and I ve told him im not not doing it.

Have fun? I literally Lmao because he frustrates himself to follow the videos and curses at the monitor when it doesnt turn out like how it is on the video.
    He admitted to me that it doesn't feel fun any more but he knows it will pay off .

Ah well I understand the point you are making but I was trying prevent him from going through what I had experienced awhile back.
    But this is the path he chose and as friend I will have to support him ^^
    ~ Hard work beats wasted talent.

Doing a little soul searching ^^

Thanks
    Not really support support. When life kicks him in the backside just offer him a way onto the right path. PLUS we ALL had out anime/manga days man haha.

Let life do the talking...
    Do a lot of work and your work will be as good as your ambitions.
    Eternal Sketchbook

Tensai --- A La Bapsi --- Psychobuddy --- Wingal--- Lakai

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Lock him in a room with some sheets of paper and a pencil and make him go cold turkey. Slip pages of Loomis and Bridgman under the door every 3rd day or so. When the screaming gets replaced by sounds of scribbling, you can let him out.

For food, put all his "how to draw: etc" books into a blender with a strong curry, he will get more out of them that way.

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mike Tenebrae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You can't change people, you can only speak your piece and let it go.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuerous View Post
    Well my friend will not rest until he buys this book and I have told him to use the free pdfs online but its like he has this infatuation with the guy and his work.
    Sadly, there isn't much you can do about this.

But man it really pisses me off when I see my friend spending 50 bucks to order the book when he couldve got other books that are much better than "How to draw manga" books and the point that he seems to miss is that how to draw manga books is really saying "How to draw like me"
    The Kindle edition, which costs about 10 bucks, can be read on the PC with Kindle software - http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mang...0557592&sr=8-1 I don't understand why he would have to spend 50 dollars... Is there some kind of international issue?

Well I went on a bit of a rant but sorry...
    Again no hate for Crilley but why does my friend blindly follow him i have no idea.
    Yeah... Crilley seems like a nice dude - a really nice dude actually - but when I look at his art my right eye twitches... I don't get why he's so popular when there are better artists on DeviantArt who are struggling just to publish some books.
    He mentioned something about getting featured on the old site of Youtube in an old video. Maybe it's a first-come first-served thing.

Thanks
    I believe that Crilley is a nice artist, not just a manga artist. I actually have seen some of his videos, and in some of them he gives good points and tips. But if people keep asling him to make a "how to draw manga eyes" video, then why not? he`s just pleasing his fans.
    Also, i saw one of his videos, where he showed some portfolio pieces and things that are not manga, and he`s actually very good. Maybe its just that he LIKES to draw manga style, not that he cant work in any other style.
    Too bad that some people have to be so fanatic, but its the same in sports, movies, or anything else. Extreme and blind fans are bound to feel sad and dissapointed sooner or later.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Omaik For This Useful Post: