Marksman - WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Marksman - WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Marksman - WIP

This has been my last 10 hours. Calling it day now, back to battle tomorrow.

I'd love some feedback, but I'm in a bit of a crisis right now as to whether I have to the potential to ever do this for a living. So be nice and tell me where I can develop.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hands too small, neck too thin. One boob is bigger than the other. The face is too big in comparison to the rest of her head.

The shading is flat - no sense of where the light source is. You've made some mistakes on where the highlights should be on her chest.

The pose isn't actually possible for a human with a normal spine to pull off. In fact it looks like you've been reading too many comic books and you decided to try the so-called 'swayback' pose from another angle. (That's the one where the artist tries to show off a heroine's tits and ass at the same time, and no, I don't know how the hell it's supposed to work. I just know it's bad anatomy.)

You need more life drawing. Get these books -> http://alexhays.com/loomis/. Ignore comics for a while. You'll be glad you did.

Drawing is a skill more than a talent. If you practice a lot and take the advice of the professionals here to heart, you will get better.

Ian Mack says [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][] >

Obligatory Andrew Loomis Link

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calireayn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Markswoman.. with a P90!? strange.. A marksman is generally (though i guess not necessarily) a sniper. Shit, you even did the screws! Nice job on the weapon, but concentrate on the image as a whole before going into details.

Calireayn really hit the nail on the head. Life drawing is key.

-edit- The below paragraph may well be a load of crap
    It's way too easy to doubt yourself all throughout the journey, for whatever stupid reason the mind gives you but never quit (or if you do, please come back to it sometime). No artist, no matter how skilless, should ever stop pushing to reach their goals. And it's sad when people do. I am really far away from professional or whatever but before i got serious, my characters had no personality. Many hours of gesture fun later, it seems to happen by accident. Composition, too.. wierdly happens by itself and i blame that on playing around with a camera. I have questioned the talent argument for a while and i think talent is newspaper story rubbish - it's all skill as far as i'm concerned, but only so many of those skills are straightforward study stuff. A lot of it is abstract, and the key is to experiment and have fun

The only thing stopping people is their own mind

Last edited by Max Challie; February 29th, 2012 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

I have to agree with the weapon thing, not a marksman/ womans weapon just a grunt's gun, and before anyone starts in on me there is nothing wrong with a grunt.

Best thing to do is practice anatomy like the guys have said "BUT NOT JUST ANATOMY", your figure is pointing the weapon (uncomfortably!) think about the pose itself it is a gesture or a snapshot of a moving sequence you have to make it look real by understanding which muscles are compressing and which are stretching but also where the weight is and center of gravity. All of that goes into a good action shot like this, Its hard I know and its something I am working on myself with varying degrees of improvement.

Also start building up a reference library of images with poses and scenes that you like this will help too, as you look at them you will see how they hold the weapons and where the pose is going as they use them.

I hope this helps, all the best and keep on posting

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Study anatomy, study lighting.

Other than that, concept wise... marksmen don't shoot from the hip. There is even a phrase... "Don't shoot from the hip."

Members who have read this thread: 1