Thanks

Machine gun preacher

Sam Childers Wikipedia
    Machine gun preacher Wikipedia A movie about Sam Childers and what he's doing
    Sudanese civil war Wikipedia

Sam Childers was originally a bike-gang, small time criminal turned christian missionary, while helping out in Sudan, he found out about the Civil war going on there.
    Helped by the SPLA (sudan people's liberation army) he began building an orphanage to give children a place to stay. Many of those children were child soldiers, the first thing these children are forced to do under the LRA (Lord's resistance army) is murder their own parents so they have nothing to escape for. He began intercepting LRA convoys, saving the captured children and killing their captors. To say this is for me to make out that its all a simple affair: SPLA are the goodies, LRA are the baddies, but both sides make use of child soldiers.

One of Sam's most famous Quotes is (paraphrased): "if your child was abducted, and I told you I could get him/her back, would you care how I did it?"

what are your thoughts on this guy and the war as a whole?
    Personally I think the means do not necessarily justify the ends. Yes the people who sell children as slaves (sex and otherwise) or force them to fight are horrible, evil people, but do you think the adult soldiers are free to go whenever they want? I doubt it.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I am mistrustful of crusades in general. I don't know enough about the situation in Sudan to have any meaningful opinion, but in a general sort of way, it is usually best to leave nations alone to sort out their own problems.

Thanks
    I know what you mean, the west do seem to have a thing about 'rescuing' other countries.