So who remembers opencanvas 1.1
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: So who remembers opencanvas 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

So who remembers opencanvas 1.1

I was just talking to a programmer at work about the possibility of making a modern day equivalent of open-canvas 1.1 in reference to its networked drawing, with more stability and features but the focus on a lightweight drawing app designed for teaching.

To those not in the know, Opencanvas 1.1 was a light drawing app that had a huge following with artists in the early 2000's because it allowed artists to collaborate on the same page and draw together. It's literally the reason why I'm an artist today, all those early 3am mornings drawing under a doona at the age of 14 while watching amazing artists lay down lines all around me.

Its still in the yeah that's a cool idea level of things, but i thought it would be cool to open it up for discussion in case we have a chance to take this somewhere.

So who would be interested, and what sort of features would you be interested in. No revolutionary reinvent the wheel stuff, but practical features you could use in a networked drawing app.

Ok my list of things i want.

*Custom brush saving (this would mean transfering across brush assets before starting)
    *Proper servers and match making, as well as local and peer to peer.
    *Voice chat
    *room health dialog, ping of each member
    *Joining after it has started
    *a sexy ui
    *transform tools
    *to be a desktop app (i hate drawing in browsers, so easy to accidently close and it's distracting)

Keep in mind that this is just wants, not whats possible.

Last edited by Muz; February 28th, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd really enjoy it, I've tried and multiple occasions to get OC 1.1 to work with art friends but we never manage to get it going. I don't know the technical implication of such an application, but I wonder why Adobe doesn't include something along those lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    but I wonder why Adobe doesn't include something along those lines.
    Adobe and other software firms of the like make massive money off professional firms using their software. Hobby artists are just a drop in the bucket sadly. When it comes to profits anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love it, still have it (although I haven't used it in a long time), and wish more people networked with it again.

Other than stability, my biggest beef with opencanvas 1.1 would be the layer system; I don't like the way you had one main layer, and the rest of the layers just multiplied/added/ subtracted that one layer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Opencanvas 5 was on sale around christmas and the features still in it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Networking hasn't been in opencanvas since version 1.1 man, unless you are thinking of playing back wpe files which you can still do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Networking hasn't been in opencanvas since version 1.1 man, unless you are thinking of playing back wpe files which you can still do.
    Oops sorry. That's what I was thinking of.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,051 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i am still using OC 1.1 for fun sometimes.
    It is a awesome app

the best about the app is:

- great brush for blending
    - real time canvas rotation
    - saving progress as animation
    - no loss of data on crash (autosave and autoload on startup)
    - network feature

To make the app better some new features would be welcome

- support of higher resolution canvas (OC1.1 is limited at 5k px or less as i remember, brushes have max size limit too)
    - same shortcuts as photoshop for colorpicker and some other tools
    - more options for brush customazation
    - save as PSD (newer OC versions can do that)

This image was painted with Open Canvas 1.1

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I still use OC, but it would be nice if it also had better dual monitor/Cintiq support.

One thing people should remember is that sometimes OC will freeze or crash if you don't have your tablet plugged in and start it up - it's looking for the tablet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, I also have openCanvas to thank when it comes to learning how to color-- I still often fiddle in Painter and think to myself "well sure, it can do this-- but it's not as care free as openCanvas was." But I never tried working with others, which would be tons of fun!

As for options, just a really nice blender I think-- of course there's the school of thought that you shouldn't rely on such tools, but for me, such a program is more about a sort of pick-up-and-play fun rather than formality.

Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The server function is something I would definitely want and also better compatibility with current systems.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome to see I'm not the only one keen on the idea.

I just had a fairly decent talk to him, and he's going to start working on the networking protocols and getting the basics up and running in his spare time.
    Anyway he asked me to come up with some ui mockups, so if you guys have some will to give it a shot you are more than welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Randis, that's amazing.

I totally love this idea, I missed using OC with friends. It would be fun to see the event files from other artists/collaborations, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huy guys, serious question. How many people would be willing to help fund this on a website like kickstarter, or indie gogo?

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Randis: LIES, post the WPE file

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi to all I cross whit this thread looking if theres another art program that allows ¨networking¨ .. anyway I have OC 1.1V and I only used it once in networking mode .. but I was a guest .. then now,.. I was looking to find some tutorial how to set it to network whit a friend .. I found this tutorial : http://californiaclipper.deviantart....28911#/d2msb4k what really amazed me is that whit some NSoCs program it seems to allows you to draw in teh same canvas as your friend/s O.O!!! erase things and save the networking session , whiteout loosing what we paint .. IM not good in software settings but I give it a try ..
    Muz: your idea is fantastic .. I dont have any $$ now ( I save a lot for chanige my pc rig -__- U )

by the way .. I never know why other good art programs didnt provide this feature .. I dont think its something so complicated .. ¬¬U ..

Randis! : awesome illustration!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

I've also stumbled upon this thread after searching google for a program comparable to an early version of open canvas. I've thought of a few ideas that might be useful, pardon me if I'm necroing an old thread.
    • A windows AND linux dedicated server. Much like running a server for a website or a computer game, this tool would be used solely to host the "room" in which the clients connect to. With open canvas, the person hosting would also be drawing. This didn't allow for the server to be running all the time and it didn't allow strangers to connect to the server.
    • Server browser--a list of the current servers being hosted.
    • Server passwords, this would be to prevent unwanted strangers
    • I'm actually against voice chat because there's mumble, teamspeak and skype already. I think this program should be kept simple rather than be jack of all trades and master of none. A simple text based chat would be fine.
    • Rather than a standalone program, it would be great if it was a plugin for photoshop. I realise this is probably asking way too much, but it is just an idea nonetheless.
    • The ability to save to PSD.
    • Layer support with selectable layers per user (defined in the server config). User Bob would not be able to draw on user Bill's layer. Each user might be assigned the ability to create one to ten layers, and there could also be the option for a "shared" layer where each user can draw on the same layer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Huy guys, serious question. How many people would be willing to help fund this on a website like kickstarter, or indie gogo?
    Hey man! Dunno if that project is still alive, but I'd love to support it! I've been looking for this for a while now and I know a lot of my friends would hop in as well!

Crossing fingers that I didn't find out about this too late...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I´d help fund a project like this, too!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if this would be practical networking-wise, but it would be cool if there was a feature to let each artist have their own layer, and the option of having that layer only usable by them (like a checkbox yes/no thing). I tried using an online app once where people could draw together, but then they would be just a-holes and draw over each other. Sometimes that's fun, but sometimes not so fun. Especially if one of the artists was cool for 1 hour, you were drawing, but then, that dick artist drew a dick on your 1hr drawing. Like. I don't know.

Members who have read this thread: 2