Thanks

Sci-fi thief character, advice appreciated

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to work up a character I can use to create several portfolio pieces (a turnaround plus a couple concept paintings), and I'd appreciate some critique and advice. The idea is a professional thief in a sci-fi environment along the lines of Mass Effect or Deus Ex (so grittier than Star Trek but not quite as gritty as Blade Runner).

What I've got here is a shot at a turnaround and a b/w comp for a painting. I appreciate all c&c regarding anatomy, lighting, composition, etc., and I'd also be very grateful if you would offer any comments on the overall design (costume details that need more work or don't make sense, for example).

Thank you!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I think the design is cool. I like heir hair and costume. And I like the b&w comp; I like the tilt and the light hitting her causing the cast shadow on the wall.

But I dont like the cartoony look of it. The proportions and anatomy are simplified and look like a cartoon. That would be fine, but you said you wanted mass effect which is highly realistic. The rendering is cartoony which might be the limits of your skills at this time. But if you can, vary the thickness of line, and spend more time in your rendering.

Get some reference for these. Even for the turn-around. If you have ref, look at it closer. An example is her butt in the turnaround--its so tiny...her butt connects directly to her back and its so short. Give her room for her hips. The butt is lower than the pelvis. You need ref!

Good job.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    This seems...familiar (pose wise - though I can't quite place from where.)
    Did you base it on ref?

Thanks
    Artfix - Thank you for your comments--I was referring to Mass Effect as more of a touchstone for level of sci-fi, since sci-fi can range from very sleek and sanitized to very run-down and gritty, but you're absolutely right that I need to use more reference. I guess I got a little overconfident when I did these.

Venger - I wasn't basing it on anything specific. I actually didn't use any reference at all, to my detriment. It's definitely possible that I unconsciously tapped into something I've seen before, though.