Reasearch
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Reasearch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Reasearch

I have just made an account and only plan to utilize it as a research tool. My first order of business is to ask this in the most professional manner possible. What Fuels Bias For and Against Anime? This is the topic for my college research paper as I feel it is time for it to be addressed in an academic light.

I have drawn it myself for years. I realize fully I am nowhere near having an iota of talent after being on this site for a mere 20 minutes. This place is rough. I may learn more from the REAL prodigies and accomplished artists here.

I need scholarly documents. If you know any professionals on the topic with credible inquiries or are such yourself, please post here. Anything is appreciated immeasurably.

Here for research only.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go to your local library, and your college library to find scholarly documents because you are not going to find any here. And I won't do your research for you.

You only made an account just for this?

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have. I've been at this for a business week. I'm not asking you to DO the research. That would be messed up. If you already know something that's what I want to know. I wouldn't ask if I didn't try. If I'm already hated for this, I'll leave.

Here for research only.

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Read a tons of threads in this section. Also go and read comments in the critique & wip section of Anime posted. It's not disliked here, just not approved as a way of learning to draw without knowing basic principals first.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly, reading your signature is enough for me to dismiss anything you ask here. Nice attitude you have.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Honestly, reading your signature is enough for me to dismiss anything you ask here. Nice attitude you have.
    You can actually be disliked for that? I don't mean to offend anyone.

Here for research only.

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    We also have a few grumpy members.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    You can actually be disliked for that? I don't mean to offend anyone.
    Well, yeah. I mean maybe you try to ask the question professionally, but then you go on like "Oh by the way I SUUUUCK and this is very relevant in some way and NO YOU CAN'T SEE MY ART oh and I'm going to call random people idiots if they DARE to compliment me because they are IDIOTS!!1! LET ME PUT MYSELF DOWN SOME MORE!"
    Lets just say that announcing loudly how much crap you are doesn't give any pity points, calling others idiots for no reason even less. At least with me. I mean we don't have any rules that you have to show your art so making a big deal about how you are not going to show is just.. eh.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    We also have a few grumpy members.
    I'm used to it so I don't mind. I do plan to keep the account for the future when I get a bit of skill. I thought asking a place of pros would be smart.

Here for research only.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Well, yeah. I mean maybe you try to ask the question professionally, but then you go on like "Oh by the way I SUUUUCK and this is very relevant in some way and NO YOU CAN'T SEE MY ART oh and I'm going to call random people idiots if they DARE to compliment me because they are IDIOTS!!1! LET ME PUT MYSELF DOWN SOME MORE!"
    Lets just say that announcing loudly how much crap you are doesn't give any pity points, calling others idiots for no reason even less. At least with me.
    Don't want pity. I figured letting you know not to expect anything would be a good idea. I guess that can come off bad. I'm sorry. I was referring to people I know elsewhere who may come across this profile as the fools.

Here for research only.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you mean anime as in the form of entertainment (the animated shows and possibly manga, if you include that within the definition of 'anime'), or do you mean anime as a general style of art that people draw in?

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wondering if we should just kill the thread.
    You can find the information you want by doing the research and looking for other threads.

If the search here is too cumbersome just go to google and narrow the search by adding "site:conceptart.org" to it.

Not that difficult. No need to have repeat threads and it makes you look more like a competent researcher.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Wondering if we should just kill the thread.
    You can find the information you want by doing the research and looking for other threads.

If the search here is too cumbersome just go to google and narrow the search by adding "site:conceptart.org" to it.

Not that difficult. No need to have repeat threads and it makes you look more like a competent researcher.
    Yeah, we can kill it. Thank you for that tidbit. I'm just getting lashed anyway. XD

I didn't know there were that many posts on it.

Here for research only.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, for what it's worth, artists who begin with anime and then decide they want to be a professional artist and draw in other styles (such as more realistic illustration or character art) often have huge trouble adapting and have to un-learn everything they learned about anime drawing before they can begin learning about real anatomy, construction techniques, and life drawing. I am one of those artists, so I am speaking from experience. It does depend on the artist, because some of the more savvy and skilled artists work on these things as well as drawing anime style and are capable of both, but if you ONLY draw anime and then decide you want to become an artist who can draw the human figure in a more realistic style... it's kind of easier to start from scratch than to have to un-learn the anime habits first.

The reason for all this is that anime drawings basically use symbols. They have a symbol for the eye, a symbol for the nose, a symbol for the mouth, and a generic face shape which often does not change when the character changes expressions. This has no relation to the reality of a human face or any basis in genuine anatomy, which is made from very complex interrelated shapes which squash and stretch and change shape and look very different from different angles or when the person displays different emotions. Another reason is that anime is "supposed" to look two-dimensional - most anime doesn't look 3D - while drawing realistically depends upon convincing the viewer that they are seeing something three dimensional on a 2D surface. Again, adjusting to that is a challenge for the average anime artist.

Of course, other stylised genres have some of these issues as well. But because it is designed for animation, anime is probably the worst of them - it was developed to be as simplistic a shortcut to the human figure as possible in order to develop animation, which requires so many frames and drawings, as quickly and cheaply as possible. It's an unchallenging form of drawing, which is also one of the reasons it appeals to young artists. Manga style tends to differ a little from anime style because the intent is different and is often quite detailed, but it still uses the "symbol" format.

I have nothing against anime at all - it is what it is, and I still enjoy some anime. But it's a bit of a pitfall for young artists, at least if they want to become professional in the future. In the west there are limited opportunities for artists who can only draw in that style.

If you use the search function to search the Art Discussion forum for any thread with "anime" in the title you will find a whole lot of stuff to read on this subject. I don't know that you will find much in the way of scholarly research on this subject, though.

Edit: Sorry if you were trying to kill the thread... those posts appeared while I was typing!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Birkeley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkeley View Post
    Well, for what it's worth, artists who begin with anime and then decide they want to be a professional artist and draw in other styles (such as more realistic illustration or character art) often have huge trouble adapting and have to un-learn everything they learned about anime drawing before they can begin learning about real anatomy, construction techniques, and life drawing. I am one of those artists, so I am speaking from experience. It does depend on the artist, because some of the more savvy and skilled artists work on these things as well as drawing anime style and are capable of both, but if you ONLY draw anime and then decide you want to become an artist who can draw the human figure in a more realistic style... it's kind of easier to start from scratch than to have to un-learn the anime habits first.

The reason for all this is that anime drawings basically use symbols. They have a symbol for the eye, a symbol for the nose, a symbol for the mouth, and a generic face shape which often does not change when the character changes expressions. This has no relation to the reality of a human face or any basis in genuine anatomy, which is made from very complex interrelated shapes which squash and stretch and change shape and look very different from different angles or when the person displays different emotions. Another reason is that anime is "supposed" to look two-dimensional - most anime doesn't look 3D - while drawing realistically depends upon convincing the viewer that they are seeing something three dimensional on a 2D surface. Again, adjusting to that is a challenge for the average anime artist.

Of course, other stylised genres have some of these issues as well. But because it is designed for animation, anime is probably the worst of them - it was developed to be as simplistic a shortcut to the human figure as possible in order to develop animation, which requires so many frames and drawings, as quickly and cheaply as possible. It's an unchallenging form of drawing, which is also one of the reasons it appeals to young artists. Manga style tends to differ a little from anime style because the intent is different and is often quite detailed, but it still uses the "symbol" format.

I have nothing against anime at all - it is what it is, and I still enjoy some anime. But it's a bit of a pitfall for young artists, at least if they want to become professional in the future. In the west there are limited opportunities for artists who can only draw in that style.

If you use the search function to search the Art Discussion forum for any thread with "anime" in the title you will find a whole lot of stuff to read on this subject. I don't know that you will find much in the way of scholarly research on this subject, though.

Edit: Sorry if you were trying to kill the thread... those posts appeared while I was typing!
    I'm glad you got in before I figured out how to do so. I know exactly what you mean though. Thank you for your input! This is the last response I plan to make here.

Here for research only.

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Closed the thread, but thanks for the response. It's just a very rehashed topic.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.