Sketchbook: Dead Leaf Mantisīsmall steps into the big world.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dead Leaf Mantisīsmall steps into the big world.

Once upon a time, there was this tall dude from a strange country that found out about a thing called "the internet". Totally fascinated, he began to stroll around, and in one of these wonderings, he landed in a place called Conceptart.org.
    Many a year, did he come back to this wonderful place, to collect inspiration, but untill this day, he was too shy to interact with the other creatures.

Today, this is all about to change...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's almost as if he's in mid-transformation.
    I dig it.
    Is that water color?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some characters

So, here's my first couple of creations.

There's two series going on:
    The first 3 are supposed to be a group of character representing some basic elements of nature: Electricity, fire and wind. (others are on the way)

First sketch it a clean steampunk creation: a early prototype of the taser. The goal here was to see if I could make the viewer lose himself in the details of this drawing, without losing all sence of practicallity. He's representing electricity.

The second guy is representing fire. I slightly changed ideas here, leaving the steampunk behind, and going for more of a today-feeling. I wanted one of the elements, a fitting mask, fitting tattoo and some kind of custom weapon, in this case a home-made flametrower.

The third girl is in the same line as the fire man, but this time it's wind. Cloud tattoos, a modified jet-engine that spread some chemical in the air, hence the gasmask.

The two other ones are some possibilities for a submission to get into a education. "create a character that is an illusionist".
    I didnt want to run directly into the typical top hat and black suit, so I though abit more sideways.
    The first one is supposed to be a medievil version of an illusionist. His clothing is supposed to be conceiling, his hat distracting, and instead of the white pigeon, he uses a trained crow.
    But then I figured, magic? in the middle ages? with a black crow? this guy would have been burnt at the stake for witchcraft many times over. So the story doesn't make much sense. And on top of that, I dont like him... Cant put my finger on it, but I just dont like it.

So I went back to the drawingboard and came up with this one. its a bold and sexy version of the standard illusionist.

All of them are pencills, coulour is aquarel-jabbering and blacks are ink.

I've never had any training, so I'm just jabbering really: especially with the aquarel painting, I feel like I'm juggling balls, but I'm barely able too keep track, very hapy when I cought the next ball...

So, please, give me your honest opinion about these concepts. Where can I improve...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Ramo: Thanks. Well, the skin is a rude, amateuristic version of watercolor, and the feathers, are actually some burnt nut-powder that you mix with water... or that's what my ex said, she gave it to me

Thanks
    Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Please don't post your drawings as PDFs. Web browsers support JPG, GIF and PNG, you will get more people looking at your work if you post it in a format people can look at directly.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, Thanks for the information.
    I'll upload them again in JPEG.

Sorry for the trouble!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Second time, lucky charm...

There: the same guys from before, but this time it's in JPEG.

Discription and feelings are a couple of post above this...
    Forgive this humble n00b

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool stuff so far I really like the second drawing in post 7, it looks really cool and the shading is very well done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some more brain-dumps

@ Icedearth15876: Thanks!

Right, so here's some more of the stuff I did.
    Unfortunately, we're not really going chronologically here: I just went through a bunch of drawings I did in the last couple of years.

Most of them have very little meaning. But maybe the cock-lion mix needs some explanation. I'm originally from Belgium, and as you may or may not have heard, it took us more then a year to form a government because (in summary) the Flemish part does not really get along well with the Wallonian part. So what I did is I merged the two symbols (the lion of Flanders and the cock of Wallonia) and adjusted the wellknown saying "eendracht maakt macht" (unity brings power) to "eendracht maakt pracht" (Unity brings beauty).

And all the watercolor paintings are total proof of how I apply some colour, and then spend the rest of the time trying to correct what I'd done. No control what so ever...
    But I'm working on it!

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some more

OK, here's one I did around christmas and one I did yesterday.

For the dentist, I was thinking about this guy from spiderman, whatshisname, with the tubes coming from his back. But to put this in a different setting. And since I don't like dentists (no offence) I tried to mix both into a very confusing superhero. sorry about the dirtyness, some of the crap on the other side of the page came through...

The other one is anoher try I'm doing at an illusionist. Trying to stretch it away from classics like top hats and tuxido's. And as its a hot female performer, it would be a shame if she was mistaken for an assistant, so the turtleneck was an attemt to add some style...

Lemme know what you think!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

same old but coloured

Here's the illusionist again, this time coloured in with Photoshop. Still learning those skillz...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some more illusionists

Jepjep, here's another illusionist.
    This time, I changed angle. This is an illusionist after a stunt-gone-wrong, at the point where he's doubting weather it's still worth it.
    It's my first all-photoshop work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff you have here man, awesome characters, the sketchbook pages look so much fun, I love all the character you put into your characters >____>! You have a great story-telling sensibility and very nice draftsmanship. The photoshops could use some work, but that is way easier to learn compared to storytelling or figure drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

this time it's in 3D

@ continue: thanks for the kind words. Painting with photoshop needs tons of improvement. Its a tricky thing to learn, that.

So far not alot of time to do things. I'm learning Swedish, and Maya, so I might have a shot at getting into a "Digital Design" education.

I'll throw in a unfinished work.
    It's basically a 3D version of this guy: Hellbender made by Dave Au.
    http://artofau.blogspot.com/2008/05/...localypse.html
    There is still a hell of a lot of things that need to be done, but for a 3D n00b this is pretty awesome!

I just started to learn Maya about a month ago, and I didnt get to the part yet where I learn how to colour, or render or anything... so that's for later.

Please, lemme know what you think!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Learning photoshoppainting

Today, I did something which I should have done a long time ago: painting.

While scrolling through this forum, I found a guy discribing how you should paint: 3-5 minute painting, no redoing or finishing, just keep going. So I found that my cellphone had this timer function (thanks CA), and got to work with one of the "pretty girls post" on one of my crap sites.

And DAMN, its really rather hard, and mostly frustrating. But I got some more feeling for digital painting, and I think that is what it's all about: learning what this specific brush and brush settings can do.

Does anyone have any tips for good brushsettings? Right now I use size jitter and opacity jitter dependent on pen pressure. and I use a bogstandard spatter brush. I heard you should make one yourself, but I dont know what to look for...

Anyway, here are my ladies: Comment are always welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice i think you did a marvelous things here man!

Members who have read this thread: 4