Sketchbook: And there was a beginning!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

And there was a beginning!

Hey All!

I'm hoping to push myself into doing more art. I also would like to be forced to challenge myself I have been sketching and painting for about 10-15 years ... for fun. Meaning like once a week or so when I'm bored. I really miss the good old days when I would sit and draw for hours!

My biggest problems are
    1) not challenging myself when I sit in a rut
    2) not staying consistent

So I'm hoping that being visible to other people will help my art, and maybe that I meet some awesome inspiring people too!

I bought a Bamboo and discovered that new mediums are fun, so anyway here is some stuff I did 3 months ago when I bought this thing. Hopefully I can make a new image every week - all feedback that helps is welcome!

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Week 1 done:

Well this is week one. Since I'm new to using a tablet, I have been trying to do more original work with the stylus. I find this really really hard. With a pencil I can make the shapes and lines I want easily, while just making a straight line with a tablet is difficult.

All the drawings I did in an hour or less. some in under a half hour. I'm currently traveling in Cambodia (sihanoukville if anyone knows it). It can be hard to find time to sit down with power alone!

I am getting faster, and hopefully in another week or 2 I can do the same stuff I can do with a pencil!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

week 3!

I think one of the most interesting thing I have discovered since I started trolling CA is the attitude towards using reference.

Since I want to work on realism in my art, I can see now that constantly using reference is going to be an asset. I can also see that being able to copy, before using reference, is a skill.

So this week I tried to do original work. The first is a self portrait in the mirror, and the second is a copy of a monkey I saw in malaysia.

I think I'm better at copying from sight than I thought. I have a lot of weak points. mostly hair, and clothing... which I have to work on.

I got food poisoning this week from a hamburger, so I have not been drawing as much as I like . Next week I hope to do more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Imagination work

I copied so many things the last couple weeks that I started to feel uncreative, so I allowed myself to just draw random imaginary stuff this week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

holy moly

For the last 2 months I thought Concept Art was down... only to discover that my VIRUS SCANNER had been blocking features of the website.

anyway, here is some stuff from this week. I have mostly been concentrating on light. I have trouble with understanding ambient light. Sketches I do without secondary light or color turn out well... it seems as soon as I include color everything starts to look like a childrens book.

I have tried to kill the saturation on everything, and color from scratch... but it still sucks. Hopefully I progress soon. Years of sketching has kept me from really understanding color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This week - color

So I've been trying to focus on color, texture, and composition without worrying too much on detail. I've been doing this by limiting the time I have on pictures to an hour or 2, and really trying to be loose.

I'm still having trouble using color in my drawings, but I have been noticing a few things.

1) the less (ambient) light there is, the less color variation objects seem to have
    2) all objects have natural variations in color, due to differing non uniform materials, lighting, and reflections from other surfaces. (just varying one tone leaves objects with hard edges looking flat)

3) The darker or lighter something is, in the extremes, the less saturated the natural color is.

So Using 1-3 I have been trying to work on color and texture. Just a few from the last few days.

Also, I'm REALLY bad at landscapes, because I never do them. For the next while I think I'm going to only do landscapes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let there be art!
    (I have no idea if that makes sense, but i'm too tired to figure it out.)

Cool stuff! Try and remember to do not shade objects with desaturated colors, for instance in your latest update the shadow of the tree should be a cooler version of the side that gets hit by the sunlight.

Check it out here: http://www.tigercolor.com/color-lab/...eory-intro.htm

8. The Following User Says Thank You to telohs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Break from ze tablet

Well although I have been concentrating on work with the tablet, the last while I have just let my self do what I find comforting - sketching in my sketchbook.

I have concentrated on doing line art - so If I want I can scan and paint over my art. Mostly I just let my mind wander and enjoyed drawing for the sheer creativity of it.

I hope to be able to be creative with a tablet soon / one day... but I can see it will take time and practice *sigh*

Here are some "interesting" sketches.

Ok the pictures I took were not the best, but I threw some overlays overtop to help cover up the crappy photos! ah well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, A start in the right direction. by your commits you remind me of myself and were I have been. I am intrested to see were you take this.

Sketchbook-Stryno's Thoughts
    "I spent my childhood dreaming about who I would be as an adult, now I am an adult I spend my life dreaming of who I was as a child"
    "I play Guitar because I like music, I draw because I have to."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it's been some time! Back in school, and just now getting into a balanced routine again. Total fail at art though. Here is some random sketching.Name:  _DSC0608.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  72.3 KB
    Name:  _DSC0612.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  53.7 KB
    Name:  _DSC0614.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  72.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man very cool imagination! i like the variety keep doing those still lifes they help you improve

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some more stuff. I struggle to keep drawing these days.

Good news: First semester as a masters candidate in Aerospace - I killed it with straight A's. I'll try to sketch every day during the holidays!
    One day I'll have time to draw 2 hours a day again :/

Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  76.9 KBName:  robotface.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  89.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some more stuff. I struggle to keep drawing these days.

Good news: First semester as a masters candidate in Aerospace - I killed it with straight A's. I'll try to sketch every day during the holidays!
    One day I'll have time to draw 2 hours a day again :/

Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  76.9 KBName:  robotface.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  89.8 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.