Myrddraal
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Myrddraal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Myrddraal

Painting I'm working on based off the 'Wheel of Time' books. The dude in the center is a sightless creature called a myrddraal, which leads around packs of beast-men call trollocs.

Current state at which point I'm going to call it quits. Tired of looking at this and ready to move on to something hopefully better.

Comments and critiques welcome!

***WIP images moved to post #8***

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ZombieMariachis; March 26th, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZombieMariachis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Surely the sword would need more foreshortening? (the one being pointed) The angle seems off.
    Where are the fallen guys legs - he seems very thin?
    Apart from that it's looking good.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crit Venger!

The dude on the ground is still in his sketchy stage. I took a reference shot of myself lying on the ground and my sketch is pretty on spot with it, but this just goes to show you that sometimes even your reference doesn't read well for its purpose.

Completely agree on the sword. I've looked at it for so long I just accepted it as is. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work so far. I agree with Venger as always

I'm not entirely convinced that the crop is working for you. Have you considered expanding the canvas for a more vertical crop? Not sure it's the best idea, but it's something to think about! One advantage is how - with the help of some strategically placed puddles - the foreground leads in on the character on the ground.

Name:  ZombieMariachis_Myrddraal.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  125.9 KB

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benjaminba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, awesome paintover! I'm digging the puddle idea, and extending the crop does add something beneficial.

I don't want to pull back too far, as I wanted to stay pretty close to the action, but I'll definitely tinker around with it to add more leading elements like what you've painted in.

Thanks a ton!

edited to add: Would what you've done there fall into the rule of thirds compositional treatment? It might have been an unconscious decision, but it's almost divided into rough thirds in your paintover.

Also, love your sketchbook!

-

Last edited by ZombieMariachis; February 27th, 2012 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the angle and perspective you have going here! Great stuff. Thanks for posting the progression as those are always inspiring to see.

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.

- Pablo Picasso

10. The Following User Says Thank You to yoooee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small update! Didn't get to work on it too long last night. Worked on correcting the sword and finished off the first beast-men on either side of the center guy.

Why are these forums olive colored? I'm sure it's been asked before...

Last edited by ZombieMariachis; March 2nd, 2012 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Progress so far starting with an extremely rough thumbnail to it's current state. Again, comments and critiques welcome!

Last edited by ZombieMariachis; March 26th, 2012 at 10:47 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZombieMariachis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Venger pointed this out in the first comment, and it was also the first thing I noticed: the guy lying on the ground is basically a head and arm with no body attached. I strongly recommend giving him a torso and some legs. Otherwise, the rendering is quite nice.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Giacomo!

I'll take the foreground figure back to the initial drawing stage and see what I can do. I had a mental block as to what a figure laying like that would look like, and the reference I created obviously didn't really solve the problem for me. Maybe I'm giving too much foreshortening in my mind?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The reference you created? Get reference that YOU didnt create thats the whole point! The reference is not made-up.

Can you differentiate the fallen guy's sword hand from the wolf behind it some? A little fog should do the trick.

Very nice tho I like it a lot.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just the arc of his chest and a knee would do it (you've got the knee already, but it needs to be a bit higher).

Here's something I'm not sure I can articulate. You develop a really lovely, highly detailed drawing...and then you paint it out completely. It seems like a waste of time or a lost opportunity to me.

Part of me wants to see you color the drawing, but leave the linework visible, because it's nice.

Another part thinks...no, it's nice as a painting. But maybe switch to painting earlier in the process, before spending so much time developing the drawing. Maybe the end result would be more painterly. Or at least faster for you.

Yet another part of me thinks: it's a nice piece. Do shut up, dear.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Artfix - Lol, it's reference that I created as in I laid on the ground, with sword in hand, and the camera went off 15 seconds later. I will tweak the fog behind his hand though, thanks for the crit!

@Stoat - I was waiting for this! Normally I wouldn't put so much effort in creating really clean line art. I'd just scan the pencil work, tinker with it, and go to town. But I got a new intuos 4 and went mad with the limited amount of power I was given. I was also looking to solve as many problems up front as possible, so there was a little extra effort in the drawing step this time. Trying to learn from Dos Santos...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, good. It made me tired to think you were inking such elaborate line art and then painting it away as a normal part of your work process. Though, come to think of it, I used to do that for watercolor. I always thought I was going to leave some of the pencil work showing, and I always opted to erase it in the end.

How the heck you're doing such nice lines with a tablet, I do not know. I just can't get the hang of it. I've got enough control to paint, but not draw. I need me a Cintiq!

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Oh, good. It made me tired to think you were inking such elaborate line art and then painting it away as a normal part of your work process.
    This is something I was wondering about as well. How far should we take our line work before adding values? I think Dave Rapoza (Mr. Delicious on here) does the same thing with some of his drawings in that he fully inks them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    How the heck you're doing such nice lines with a tablet, I do not know. I just can't get the hang of it. I've got enough control to paint, but not draw. I need me a Cintiq!
    It actually does get easier with time...I feel like I'm finally starting to get a handle on my little bamboo tablet after 10 months.

ZombieMariachis: Great drawing and concept. Thanks for showing your process as well!

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh. I've used a tablet since 1985, though, to be fair, the early tablets were a whole different animal. You clicked to anchor a point, then clicked to anchor another point...and so on and on. Even in early paint programs, you had to use a vector approach to drawing. Sucked.

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The linear drawing is very strong. And so's the Image.

Your form is a bit mushy on the monsters. I assume you had reference on the central head, because the form looks solid.

I don't quite understand why the monsters aren't paying attention to what their master (I'm assuming he's the leader of the band) is doing. And he seems kind of posed, and a bit too far away from his prey to be holding such a pose in the last image there.

Anyway...

Really impressive job, overall.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits and advice everyone. I updated the first post with the current state and added another image to post #8.

edit: Experimenting a bit to see if I can't separate the guy on the ground from the other figures. Can someone tell me how they feel about the fog here? I feel like I'm loosing this painting.

Last edited by ZombieMariachis; March 4th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Put your darkest darks and lightest lights in the foreground - and/or where you want the eye to go. In this case, it's both. Don't be afraid to let shadow and light (but particularly shadow) 'puddle'. The attached is literally five minutes with dodge and burn, just to illustrate what I'm talking about (I don't necessarily recommend dodge and burn as the best way to do this).

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Stoat! As a rule, I've trained myself to forget dodge/burn exists. I'll toss the fog idea and start adjusting the levels and see what I can do. I've been painting everything on one layer, so it looks like I'll need to do some cutting.

I've also adopted you as my forum angel. It's a pretty prestigious position.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My husband is going to laugh until milk comes out of his nose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I am very excited to see where you take this.
    I am unqualified to offer advice, however.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zombie did you ever use an intuos 3? Would you say the intuos 4 is much better? I also have a very hard time drawing on my tablet. In fact, I try not to ever do any drawing because it only frustrates me. Maybe I should invest in an intuos 4?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Pavel Sokov - I am unqualified to ignore any advice, so anything you've got please don't hold back.

@Artfix - I have used a friend's intous3, and I can't really notice a difference in the handling or pressure. For me, the only solid selling point the 4 had over the 3 was the wireless option. I was tired of dragging my tablet off into the floor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally got time to come back to this. I've updated post #1 and #8 with the piece's current state. Thanks everyone for your help! I am past burnt out on this one and ready to apply what I've learned to something new.

Members who have read this thread: 1